What solo continues to blow your mind no matter how many time you hear it?

Allan Songer

OK guys. I totally understand the dead-bashing. I got bored to tears with the jams. Drums into space at every show was like getting a filling replaced. I went to about 200 shows, mostly late 70s/early 80s but once I got sick of the smelly, disgusting deadheads, and stopped doing drugs, I went much more seldom.

It's much easier when you can pick and choose what to listen to and there is soooo much to chose from. The moments of brilliance are aplenty. I could sit with you for 4 hours straight, playing specific tunes that would blow you away. I also am a JERRY fan. Weir dragged himself along on his coattails for the entire ride with very little to offer the band IMO. A handful of decently written songs.

Seeing Jerry alone or with his small band or just his bass player (John Kahn - now deceased) was wonderful in the small clubs.

I can't argue with you guys but there is much out there I think you would enjoy.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Verlaine-"Little Johnny Jewel"

I cannot believe someone mentioned this.

This 70s classic from the band "Television" is a GREAT, GREAT song and many have not heard it due to the fact that it's hard to find in original form (hear the live version on Blowup well worth it for that alone). It was released as a 45 and became a damn collector's item. The version on 45 sounds so damn good and is just genius. The licks here are inspired in that they appear like a cross between throw away lines and happenstance, all the while achieving near perfection. Beyond the solo work, the whole band is good here. I got the 45 in NYC back in the 80s and still paid an arm and a leg (at least, to me back then). The live version is 15 minutes of interplay/I tried to find it online but cant find the whole thing.

Excellent pick.

Television.jpg

kh

ps- I saw fIREHOSE on their first tour with Screaming Trees back in the 80s right after "Ed from Ohio" wandered into the band by sheer will. The Minutemen cant be topped as D Boon was insane and the heart of that bamd...but fIREHOSE was a GREAT band as well, just slightly more sterile and tightly wound. George Hurley and Mike Watt are an AMAZING rhythm section. Chemical Wire is an electric cut on that first LP. Another great band

Television was the LOUDEST band I have ever heard--no contest. I heard them at the Roxy in Los Angeles in about 1977 give or take a year. So loud you couldn't hear anything--ear-bleeding loud, sick-to-your-stomach loud. And that's all I remeber. They were LOUD! A pal of mine was a huge fan and I drove from SF to LA just to go to this show with him. He loved it. I just remember it being LOUD.

There were other bands that were LOUD--some from that era that I recall are The Zeros, the Dead Kennedys, the Jim Carroll Band, Roy Loney and the Phantom Movers, but they weren't NOTHIN' compared with Television. Those guys were LOUD.

I never got to hear Televison live until they reformed and although great, it didnt have near the electricity of their early stuff. That is really strange it was that loud. They dont strike me as being like that - loud as hell, yes. But that next level of LOOOOUUUD? It must have been a twisted eve. You area lucky to hear them in their prime although unlucky with the loud aspect.

I have heard some loud shows in clubs perhaps teh most ear rattling being a Jesus Lizard, Steve Albini Surprise, and Sonic Youth sound bash. JEsus Lizard was getting so low, my ear drums were rattling and buzzing almost to the point where I had to leave. It was berserk. Steve Albini of BIG BLACK fame came on to everyone's shock as he had not played live in forever. He had one of his cohorts from Naken RAygun. That was metallic loud.... but damn good to hear his racket. Sonic Youth finally arrived and they were GREAT as usual, with two boxes of guitars, one tuned for EACH SONG! They are a great live band...nothing like them.

Sadly, my eardrums were almost ruined for 6 days after that Jesus Lizard set.... The swine.

kh

ps I dont think a reference to the Marshall Tucker Band has ever followed a Television review! A FIRST! HEh...classic

Interesting stuff...I only have the TELEVISION album...the live 45 sounds cool.

I wasn't a big fan of the LA Hardcore scene but I heard a couple songs from The ZEROS and would like to hear some more. A lot of that stuff was on the TV show NEW WAVE THEATER. I mostly lumped it all into my image of DARBY CRASH and The GERMS...but of course I have always loved X. But then again I was a DJ in BOSTON and we were playing "THIS IS BOSTON, NOT LA!" a compilation of local HC bands like the FREEZE and PROLETARIATE to mention the few I actually liked.

One of the DJ's on our station was the founder/owner of TAANG! so I heard plenty of GANG GREEN and other TAANG bands and to be fair every obscure New England loud band I could think of and more. Heck I even recorded an "industrial avante garde" track under the band name of ZIPPER VICTIMS in the basement in 4-tracks someone played. I think that was the year SPIN magazine gave us an award for best programming but mentioned at times we got out of control. UNCLE MARK was another DJ and registered parapsychologist. Another DJ and part time commercial DJ and England oriented trendster played more of the trendy and poppier tunes which also included mega hyped bands like THE JESUS & MARYCHAIN when they released their first US 45. She is on the CD I sent Kelly interviewing Simon Lebon (out on the street is what is sounds like).

I don't recall which shows were the loudest as I wore ear plugs to most. I recall the MINISTRY (and not the "work for love" version) was pretty darn loud at ONE STEP BEYOND in San Jose. BUTTHOLE SURFERS at the CHANNEL in Boston were loud and "loud" sounding. EINSTRUZENDE NEUBAUTEN (not sure if spelled it correctly) made a lot of noise but they probably weren't any louder than the typical CHANNEL show. They got all their "instruments" from the Boston dump a few days before the show.

I had GBH at the station in when I worked in Santa Clara. Their lead singer was a hoot and had lot's of wild life on the road stories...I was more interested in the glued to a point hair due :)

I had a buddie who followed the Dead Tours and sold Espresso out of a Volkswagon Vanagon.

He have his sign out ready to sell some coffee.

But everybody was so burned out and trashed after frying for days on end, they would just shuffle by him, staring at the ground. Totally oblivious to him.

He finally threw the sign on the ground, and they would stumble over it. Oh! Espresso!

I thought that the tripping thing was part and parcel of the Dead experience. It was explained to me that they used to have electric kool aid parties, and that the idea behind that was that everyone would be in the same "reality", sort of a drug induced musical telepathy shared by those taking part.

Charlie Daniels, I have Saddle Tramp and have always enjoyed that tune.

----------------

On 9/4/2003 8:16:40 PM AndyKubicki wrote:

I thought that the tripping thing was part and parcel of the Dead experience. It was explained to me that they used to have electric kool aid parties, and that the idea behind that was that everyone would be in the same "reality", sort of a drug induced musical telepathy shared by those taking part.

----------------

That is true. I absolutely loved the space, the drums and the long jams in that state of mind. Without the LSD, it was not the same experience. A major reason they played that way was for the audience and the drugs they were taking. Without it, the jams just seemed like a disconnected jumble (except for the actual songs which were almost always wonderful).

Even though I went to many Dead concerts, I was always too chicken sh*t to participate in the serious chemical enhancements. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed every one I attended. The vibes from the crowd, the fabulous music, the unpredictability of what might happen next, it was all great. On a side note, I attended one particular Dead concert that was billed as the "Sound Test". While their lighting and sound systems were always spectacular, this was the first attempt at what they called the "Wall of Sound" (apologies to Phil "Jailbird" Spector). What I recall was gigantic stacks of speakers (many hundreds) with rows and rows of amplifiers, all swaying gently to the beat of the music. I wish I knew what equipment it was. It really did sound unbelievable. The next time I saw them it was back to a more conventional system. Apparently, the WOS was not economically feasible to continue with.

Regards,

Chris

Chris,

The wall was amazing WHEN it worked. I have tapes where Weir comes on stage and says "this will sound great when we get it to work right, at least that's what it says on paper."

No other band brought as much energy to a concert than the Dead. It was electric. Many, many great memories. If they could have just kept the bandmembers alive a little longer.... Becoming a keyboard player for the Dead pretty much assured you'd be dead in less than 10 years.

You could go to 10 straight shows without hearing the same song twice and if you did it would be played differently.

I miss that electricity. It was a big part of my life for a long time.

----------------

On 9/4/2003 3:52:32 PM bassetized wrote:

Tony Rice 'Native American' -the whole damn album

----------------

Anything with Tony Rice. The man is an amazing talent. One of my favorite discs is 'Tone Poems', where he and David Grisman take 17 pairs of vintage guitars and mandolins and play live direct to two track analog (Fostex E-22 at 30 ips). They use the same minimalist recording technics for all tracks.

The artistry will take your breath away, and if you are an afficianado of American acoustic craftsmanship, the accompanying booklet is a most interesting read.

ah.. but the music... sweet and simple.

I highly recommend it.

----------------

On 9/4/2003 10:58:31 PM DeanG wrote:

"SET is Sh!t" by Kelly Holsten -- makes the little fuzzy hair on the back of my neck stand straight up. Absolutely stunning.

I have to go now, I'm going to go listen to it again.

----------------

Dean, you're wacked!9.gif

Tom

Found this at http://www.dancingbear.dk/images/catlg/specs/4044.htm

"...As the Grateful Dead's popularity as a live act grew - taking the band in the first decade after its inception from tiny clubs to ballrooms and large theaters, and then to giant sports arenas and stadiums - the band resolved to develop a sound system that was up to the daunting task of filling those larger spaces with sound that was not just loud but clear. The ultimate result of years of research and experimentation was the Wall of Sound, conceived and built in collaboration with Owsley Stanley, Ron Wickersham, Dan Healy, Bob Matthews and others in the Dead's circle of technical wizards. The Wall was a wonder to behold, rising up like the skyline of a small city with its towering stacks of speakers (641 in all) and amplifiers (putting out more than 26,000 watts) and it was even more of a joy to hear. Alas, the Wall would also prove to be both physically and financially cumbersome, requiring two (and sometimes three) separate crews to set up the stage, and five trucks to carry 72 tons of equipment. It was a huge drain on the band's resources, and would only be used by the band for thirty-seven shows spread over seven months, passing into history when the Dead took their two-year hiatus from touring in October of '74..."

Richard Thompson: Hard On Me

Mike Campbell: Century City

The first two off the top of my head. The Thompson song is from the `99 release "Mock Tudor". His live solo on this was twice as long during a live performance in Santa Barbara that same year. Mike Campbell`s string breaker is from TP`s "Damn The Torpedoes". Every time I here it I can`t turn it up loud enough. Thompson, Neil Young and Tom Verlaine`s solos are all similar in style in that that can play for extended periods of time with out repeating themselves which makes long jam sessions a jaw dropper rather that just plain boring. That`s very hard to do.

Two more names. James Honeyman Scott`s work on the first 2 Pretenders albums is hard to beat. Mick Taylor`s intro on the Stones " Can`t You Hear Me Knock`n". And the list goes on and on.......

----------------

On 9/4/2003 11:27:58 PM Woodog wrote:

----------------

On 9/4/2003 3:52:32 PM bassetized wrote:

Tony Rice 'Native American' -the whole damn album

----------------

Anything with Tony Rice. The man is an amazing talent. One of my favorite discs is 'Tone Poems', where he and David Grisman take 17 pairs of vintage guitars and mandolins and play live direct to two track analog (Fostex E-22 at 30 ips). They use the same minimalist recording technics for all tracks.

The artistry will take your breath away, and if you are an afficianado of American acoustic craftsmanship, the accompanying booklet is a most interesting read.

ah.. but the music... sweet and simple.

I highly recommend it.

----------------

For anyone who doesn't own a copy of "The Pizza Tapes" they should get one. It's the first time Garcia and Tony Rice meet through their mutual friend, David Grisman and it's funny listening to Rice and Garcia attempting to outdo each other. Very down to earth acoustical music. Tony Rice goes nuts on "Shady Grove" much to Jerry's delight and they have a good laugh when it's over. They do a lot of screwing around in between songs like playing the nestles chocolate commercial, Addams Family theme song and the good humor ice cream truck jingle.