Looking in the used market for a great SS amp. Suggestions?

Griffinator

Actually, I like everyting Crown except the D series amps. Bullett proof, but pretty harsh. I just happen to come into one for free I use when short.

The Yamaha's we used were, at the time, a new line and had some sort of secondary name like Reference or something. Perhaps someone else can remember. And it might have been the big KEF's that made the difference. I don't know, but my hearing was about like Griff's up to that time and I know they sounded great together for critical listening.

Dave

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could have been the Yamaha M series. Yamaha made some Class A bias stuff (Class A in the watt single-digits). I had some Yamaha Natural Sound components in the mid 70s. For the time, in that segment, it was built fairly well. Wondering what you heard. Yamaha in the audio domain really took a dive. Obviously, some where better than others, it's just the other options out there really gave it second rate status.

I believe it was Natural Sound, and probably the top of the line as we had a virtually unlimited budget. The National University was mandated to be the best in the Pacific Rim and we were expected to spend accordingly. It was a job, but somebody had to do it.

Dave

Another good amp that I actually havent heard in this guise but gets good comments from users and reviewers is the Belles 150a. This is the HOTROD model with some upgrades in caps etc. I heard some older Belles amps that I liked for SS. The model below is at Audiogon for a good price. If all worked up on SS, this is a nice model.

Belles 150A "Hotrod"

Again, SS is not my cup of tea anymore, but there are some better than others. I seem to prefer MOSFET but a few bipolars sound ok. Still....

kh

----------------

On 9/5/2003 9:48:53 AM Mallett wrote:

I believe it was Natural Sound, and probably the top of the line as we had a virtually unlimited budget. The National University was mandated to be the best in the Pacific Rim and we were expected to spend accordingly. It was a job, but somebody had to do it.

Dave

----------------

That must have been really tough on you!2.gif

In order to show diligence, I spent all their money and went back for more. Rosewood production console, custom built. Never know when the PM might drop in and we were always in competition with Honk Konk. Must keep nose to grindstone. Losing nose, but saving face.

Anyway, to stay with Griff's thread, I believe there are quite a few SS amps on the used market at his price that would work for his application. Try a few, relist them if you don't like them. Some will bring more, some less, but you are unlikely to lose much in the quest, and will have a bit of fun.

Dave

re: demand for tube pres, tube mics, tube amps in the studio...

the whole reason tube gear is (and has always been) in fashion in the studio environment is because of the color. Tube pres impart color on the incoming signal - "warming it up" - While I love using tube condensors and tube pres (although not together - yuck!) when I'm recording, the idea of using a "warm tube amp" to power my monitors is not particularly appealing. I want the source program to sound warm on any playback system, not just my tube amp 1.gif

Now that said, if I had an unlimited budget I would reach for a tall-dollar tube amp, knowing that the finest tubes are far more accurate and transparent than the finest SS.

In the <$500 range, however, the tube amps I'm likely to find are not going to be transparent, they're going to be hairy.

Oh - and Mobile - please dont think I'm being argumentative - I'm not trying to. I'll explore that list you gave and see what I can work with.

From what I recall of the other thread, every other post mentioned some kind of tube gear, and low-cost at that. I can't imagine even attempting to use a stock 299A, for example, to drive my monitoring system. Would I love it for the upstairs system? Sure.

----------------

On 9/5/2003 9:40:38 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Could have been the Yamaha M series. Yamaha made some Class A bias stuff (Class A in the watt single-digits). I had some Yamaha Natural Sound components in the mid 70s. For the time, in that segment, it was built fairly well. Wondering what you heard. Yamaha in the audio domain really took a dive. Obviously, some where better than others, it's just the other options out there really gave it second rate status. ----------------

Kelly,

My Yamaha M-85 is one of the few SS amps I really like with my Klipschorns & former Cornwalls-very smooth especially on the highs which can be a problem with Klipsch speakers.

It runs Class A up to 30 watts which is earbleeding level with the K-horns.

Mallett,

Just about everthing that Yamaha built was called "Natural Sound" back in the day1.gif

You're actually concerned about the colorations a tube amp might inject through a set of JBL S-38's? Have you ever pulled a tweeter out of one of those things, or pulled some of the baffling out to look at the crossover? If you go to www.hometheaterforum.com and search under "JBL S-26", using my username (deang) -- you should see the thread with the posts detailing my mods of a friends JBL "S" series HT system. Suffice it to say, the last thing you need to be worried about is "colorations" from a tube amp. They're actually pretty decent sounding speakers as is, but if you are trying to get "transparency" out of them -- you need to break out the soldering iron.

I've seen your posts in the "digital" threads, and realize you know a thing or two -- but you should also know that all gear "colors" to some extent, and this idea that tube amps color more than SS is kind of off-base. Personally, I think the transistor distortion of solid state is coloration of the worst kind. If you stay with solid state, try to stay with amps that do not pair the transistors up to create more power. This means you are much better off with something like a Creek, or 60 watt Bryston.

i know you had mentioned carver previously in this thread....

i can highly recommend a carver tfm-25 amplifier....225 watts per channel...extremely quiet... great amp...

and it is usually about $100 less than the tfm-35 (250 watts per channel on ebay)....

i used this amp for about 8 months with my klf-30's before i upgraded to a tube amp....(for my main system)

i won't sell mine... i'm using it in my bedroom system now....

----------------

On 9/7/2003 10:37:48 PM minn_male42 wrote:

i know you had mentioned carver previously in this thread....

i can highly recommend a carver tfm-25 amplifier....225 watts per channel...extremely quiet... great amp...

and it is usually about $100 less than the tfm-35 (250 watts per channel on ebay)....

i used this amp for about 8 months with my klf-30's before i upgraded to a tube amp....(for my main system)

i won't sell mine... i'm using it in my bedroom system now....

----------------

Yeah, I watched a few rounds of amps go on Ebay and I'm leaning towards Carver - but there are a ton of amps going for @ $200, so there's plenty to choose from.

Griff,

If you get a chance- check out the Creek Integrated Amp-or any Creek Audio product. Also the Cambridge Audio web site- Cambridge is made using Creek componets and sell for less than creek.... excellent products, good prices, by far the best bang for my buck................jmho.

Ed Whitesell (edster00) has a Monarchy SM-70, but I think he uses Welborne Labs Moondogs now for his system. He may have upgraded his SM-70 to the Pro mod...maybe he'll chime in this thread. It's a great lil' SS amp, which can be found used for about $500!

My SM-70 is the regular model, not the Pro, but I do plan to have it upgraded sometime in the future. I really like the sound of that little 25wpc (zero feedback, class A) amp, IMO it is the best sounding SS amp I have had in my system. I used to have a pair of them mono-blocked (70wpc) driving my Forte' and later my Belles.

My Monarchy is currently on loan to a fellow BB'er, I am hoping he will share his thoughts about how it sounds in his system.