Advice needed......SET AMP for Cornwalls

Cuffclean

BUT THEN AGAIN!!

Why is it that jazz musicians for the most part hold it together for much, much longer than pop and rock performers? I'm going to hear Sam Rivers this Thursday at the Jazz Bakery--it will be his 80th birthday!! The two albums he put out with the RivBea orchestra in the last 3-4 years are arguably the finest jazz recordings released over this period by ANYBODY (at least I can make the argument!). Two of my heros, Teddy Edwards and Bill Perkins were blowing the house down right up until their deaths (both in their late 70's). Another amazing example is Benny Carter--I saw him peform at Catalina's here in Hollywood when he was 89 years old and he was INCREDIBLE! The list goes on and on. Perhaps jazz being a music "of the moment," where creativity and improvisation are the essence makes the difference.

You can listen to Teddy Edwards play "Sunset Eyes" 100 times (which I no doubt did over the years) and it NEVER gets boring, but how many times can Bob Dylan drag out "Rain Day Women" and expect us to care?

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the same goes for bluegrass. I saw "Old And In The Gray" (previously "Old And In The Way") a few months ago (less Jerry Garcia of course). This included Peter Rowan, David Grisman and Vasser Clements (around 80 yrs old also). They blew the doors off the place! Vasser maybe isn't quite what he was 30 yrs ago but still an unbelievable fiddler, even at 80.

Mobile,

Thanks for the history of my audio life. You left out a few dozen other significant items over the years, but no matter. For the record, I was listening to an HF-12, built by my uncle in the 1950s, when you were in diapers.

Don't confuse my ability to comprehend with your lack of ability to communicate. I was simply pointing out the self-centeredness and small-mindedness of your post, which looked at an artist's life purely in the terms of a fan, said life to be discarded when the artist's work no longer pleases you. What a nuisance when artists live too long! I thought your idea was amusingly stupid, and thus worth noting.

I am perfectly aware that you want the Klipsch Forum to be your fiefdom and that you don't react well to anyone who does not shower you with compliments. But last time I looked, you don't own or operate this site.

You and your French buddy made these threads into personal attacks on me simply because I pointed out that 3 watts or 5 watts does not, and I don't care what parts are used, give adequate headroom under many common listening situations. This is so obvious that it is hard to believe anyone could argue otherwise.

How old are you again? That would be a tough one since I am in my 40s. So you now counting your listening time when you were 6 and wishing Captain Kangaroo would come on two times a day?

Nice chip on your shoulder, almost evident in EVERY single post you submit, including above. You are actually saying I have problems expressing myself here via my posts? So my writing is unclear and lacks pertinent points?

Pretty soon, this chip will get three-dimensional and will be hard to balance. You and I have some serious issues that are beyond the interest of this forum, now becoming something akin to a bad car wreck.

Again, I asked you straight off what single-ended triodes you have had in your system. Again, you dont list your system, your musical taste, nor any specifics when making claims. As for communication via the written word in this forum, I find it hard to believe you are casting stones here. Amazing.

kh

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Does anybody really care?

Alright GENTLEMEN:

This is a thread for an answer, not tirades.

You have all contributed to the Forum, that IS a given.

Disagreements are part of LIFE.

Disagreement in OPINIONS are PART of this FORUM. I have received non-ego answers to questions I've posed from Guy, Kelly, Dean, GaryMD.

Kelly and I had our hashing and I learned, he learned both the better.

This is not against you Paul as we have had no postings to each other.

This FORUM is for OPINIONS, i.e. a bias toward one thing or another, a predisposition to CHOOSE.

Differences in OPINION are a good thing once in a while as both or all participating can share and learn.

This thread is about SET amplifier choice - factual, opinion as far as taste, dis-likes and hearing curves.

No ONE person, no matter who, even me, has the copyright to choice. I wonder what Hendrix, Joplin, Holly would be playing today. What influence would they have if any.

Jazz was once known as the music that heroin addicts played. Go back to the 50s, early 60s you will find who was strung out, late 60s rock - who was strung out?

Does that make one bit of difference to the person that originally posed the question? I doubt it. MY opinion.

Take a deep breath and remember, you are all intelligent, knowledgeable people who contribute to the Forum and help with questions.

Butting into this was my choice as I don't like to see good people trash each other.

Thank You and may you all have peace and harmony, even agreeing to disagree.

Win dodger

dodger

Mobile,

Now you are criticizing Captain Kangaroo? I make no apologies for my tastes. The Captain's illustrated presentation of "Puff, The Magic Dragon," with Peter, Paul & Mary's record playing, was outstanding.

The TV studio used push-pull, by the way, and not SET, which was not up to the task.

P.S. Don't get paranoid. I'm hardly criticizing your every word when I have 300 posts and you have 4000.

----------------

On 9/23/2003 11:06:25 AM Allan Songer wrote:

BUT THEN AGAIN!!

Why is it that jazz musicians for the most part hold it together for much, much longer than pop and rock performers?

----------------

How right you are. Is it because the approach is much more cerebral? Do they have to stretch the gray matter more in that genre? Is it because they have a better chance at preserving their hearing? Are their suppliers keeping the poisons out of their recreational supplies? Maybe they haven't been wrung dry by, as Joni Mitchel put it, 'the star-maker machinery behind the popular songs'.

Bluegrass music is much the same way. The stellar performers in this genre are still crankin'. Doc Watson, at near 80 last February, sang and played for nearly 2 straight hours.