dodger

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

> You all need not worry. SURF'S UP, FROOTS! Hey, I'm here till evacuation -

Surf's up may be the understatement of the year, click below for weekly forecast..

ww3.w.natl.sig_wav_ht.060.gif

In the meantime, Jeffus sends this along, still pondering if it could be fer real..

Last time Kelly evacuated to Chapel Hill to avoid the '96 hurricane, it tailed his car west right up to the front porch. What a hell night that was. Guess "rectifying" the GZ37 issue with Moondogs is on the back burner at this point, if ye want to hear monoplates before early October, drop by as long as it isn't storming like Fran.

Have an uneventful evacuation in the meantime..

Kelly-

Best of luck to you and all the others in the storm's path. I figure we'll get some good rain squalls and wind by the time the remnants make it up here to CT, so we'll have it easy in comparison. Guess we won't hear REO Speedwagon's "Ridin' The Storm Out" from those CW's at the beach. 9.gif

Taddeo, I am probably going to evacuate as far as about two miles inland! heh...literally. While this will probably be a strong Category 2 storm, perhaps borderin on a 3 with gusts to 135, I have been through so many I now consider myself an ole salt...just idiotic enough to go down with the ship. I imagine evacuation will be manditory here by 3pm tomorrow, perhaps sooner. Although Topsail is now under a voluntary evacuation.

I can HEAR the waves through the walls/doors as I type this now so I expect the morning surf to be rather stately...heh.

Here's hoping ole Isabel passes far to the North although it's been too close to call in the past. Most of the computer models now have this happening but we'll see.

kh

ps- Doesnt Kansas seem so far away?

----------------

On 9/17/2003 12:03:12 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Taddeo, I am probably going to evacuate as far as about two miles inland! heh...literally. While this will probably be a strong Category 2 storm, perhaps borderin on a 3 with gusts to 135, I have been through so many I now consider myself an ole salt...just idiotic enough to go down with the ship.

----------------

Looking at the latest info this morning, it looks like the warmer Gulf Stream water temps are going to kick the storm up a notch. While the winds may be sufferable, the storm surge looks like it could be exceedingly lethal.

I second Max's comment. Get the hell out of Dodge. We want to see you and Audrey back someday, safe and sound, not a statistic.

Hell, you've got a few thousand more posts in ya!

The worst part of the hurricane will be the storm surge. Many rivers will indeed be flowing upstream with a good deal of flooding due to the closeness to sea level. Two miles from the shoreline does not sound safe if you are anywhere near where it is expected to hit mainland.

The recommendation on the t.v. is when it hits stay put, don't try to go out in your car. That is how most people get killed, drowning. I'm sure that Kelly has sought out higher ground with his Moondogs tucked safely under each arm. Afterall they won't take up a lot of space. The Cornwall probably have their own life preservers attached.

9.gif

The projected path is interesting, sort of reminiscent of Hurricane Hazel in 1954. That one got as far up as Toronto and resulted in massive flooding in the river valleys, where people were still allowed to live. Now you cannot build within the 100 year flood plain. I hope it wears itself out before Friday night.

Batten down the hatches and hopefully everyone stays safe and reasonably dry.3.gif

Yes, I am actually STILL HERE right on the beach with a very large band offshore, probably the first with some serious rain. It's getting pretty windy right now and the beach feels like a ghost town. Serious storm force winds are expected to kick in here on the NC coast around midnight with some more intense stuff hitting at dawn.

My place is on an island several hundred yards wide where I am. I can see the ocean on one side and look to the other and see the sound. This barrier island is about 1/4 mile from the mainland or perhaps more although there is marsh and the sound in between.

Here is an overhead shot of where I am:

home1.jpg

As you see, the island is not too wide; indeed, this makes it looks wider than it is. The eye of Isabel will probably pass to north which will be a big break although we expect 25ft waves with some storm surge. Hurricane Bertha and Fran brought 5-6ft of water in the first floor. I am on the third and fourth.

We still might leave but here for now. It's getting a bit creepy now...heh.

kh

----------------

On 9/17/2003 8:32:13 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Here is an overhead shot of where I am:

"<a
http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/home1.jpg" border="0">

We still might leave but here for now. It's getting a bit creepy now...heh.

kh

----------------

Er... can you ship the Cornwall NOW!!!

----------------

On 9/17/2003 8:56:39 PM Chris Robinson wrote:

Jeff, his jazz collection is MINE. You can have his Cornwalls.

Duffy has claimed the cat dish.

I hate these frikkin' storms. More fickle than some of the worst women I've known.

----------------

Well, you can have his jazz record collection if you wish.

Personally I'm after Dean's Journey and REO Speedwagon titles.

Anyone with Asia LPs?

ECIR.JPG

Yeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ha! I don't have any REO. Sorry.

I'm a walking stormometer, and I think this thing could be Category 3 again by the time it actually hits.

Kelly, WTF are you doing? You've only got ONE treasured "possession". Get her in the car and get the hell out of there.

Us European origonated humans never did get it.

The real native americans never lived in huricane landing zones.

And they did not live in flood planes either. Like the early 90s Mississippi flood...

I think good design, concrete and good lumber help "weather" these situations.

I am with you Kelly; I would need to watch her come on in.

Good Luck

Rick

It's daybreak here and some of the heavier outer bands are now starting to come over the beach here. Tide will be building all morning with a steady increase in wave heights, which are now around 15 feet.

Some house shaking gusts coming in but overall, we are very lucky so far. It's going to be getting worse as the morning turns to the afternoon.

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/isabel_sat.jpg