Everything must go!

Deang

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Silver 90s were an INSANE buy with a healthy tube stash. ALas, I couldnt get anyone here to bite as it was pre-heavy tube experimentation. Many hadnt even tried the vintage tube integrated option as I recall. That is actually the picture I posted, still up on my space. I just now found it again.

Some people found the high power QS grainy if you do research in the Asylum. With 104dB horns, I ondt know if it's necessary, really. But it would be fun as hell at times. You have a pretty good pair of QS for "Kick out the Jams" already.

kh

ps It was a little over a year ago. A bevy of the April/May members of this year werent even here. Ironically enough, DEAN didnt even enter the thread. Mdeneen and C&S sure did. What an interesting read. At the time, I wanted to remove C&S's spleen. NO one reads the archives any more any way (hell, few read posts carefully either - Hell #2, FEW READ). There is so much sh!t back there... a lot of it amusing and ironic given later develelopments.

Quicksilver Silver 90 Post - 14 months ago

Kelly,

I've got to say THANKS to Dean for flipping his gear. I've got the wonderful Cary pre back in my system. What a wonderful sounding preamp, especially with the NOS Mullard EZ81's and NOS Mullard 12AU7's. Selling the Cary was a good lesson in learning to appreciate a wonderfully musical sounding setup, and not make those lateral moves which are not jaw dropping in improvement.

Thanks Dean. Good luck with your next audio juorney, whatever it may be.

Klipsch out.

Yup pile all the EL34 , KT88 , 6550 , 6L6 with descent iron in a heap and close your eyes and pick becuase they will all sound just about the same. Oh but if your buying SET they will all be very different from one another !!

A Mark III for instance doesn't sound anything even remotely similar when I am done with them from there stock form. Your generalizations amaze me !

Yup McIntosh sounds just like a Heathkit !! What the heck there all push pull !

Craig

----------------

On 10/8/2003 3:45:51 PM NOSValves wrote:

Yup pile all the EL34 , KT88 , 6550 , 6L6 with descent iron in a heap and close your eyes and pick becuase they will all sound just about the same. Oh but if your buying SET they will all be very different from one another !!

A Mark III for instance doesn't sound anything even remotely similar when I am done with them from there stock form. Your generalizations amaze me !

Yup McIntosh sounds just like a Heathkit !! What the heck there all push pull !

Craig

----------------

I was wondering what was taking you so long!6.gif I new you couldn't hold it in any longer!9.gif

Tom

Edmond,

What is the pre-amp you're talking about with the EZ-81 and 12AU7?

Is that a Cary?

I've heard the 12AU7's are quiet compared to the 12AX7.

I have an Eico HF-81 transformer made to work with EZ81 and enough boxes and tube sockets and stuff to build a pre-amp like that. Mullard 12AU7's are not that hard to come by.

Lack of a pre-amp is the only reason I didn't jump on kjohnsonhp's Dynaco the other night when he first posted. Is there a schematic available for this 12AU7 pre available?

Tom

I dont know of any schematic floating around for the SLP-90 or 94. This is Edmond's preamp below, although I dont know if he ever ended up getting another gold face plate. I think Cary makes some GREAT preamps for the money. I think you could make something very similar on your own (on the other hand, I am betting it wont look as good..heh).

The SLP-90 does employ tube rectification - dual Mullard EZ-81 would do nicely here, and you surely have some of those.

slp-90b.jpg

Dean I think if you're that close to being in the red maybe you should sell everything and buy a decent vehicle to transport your family around in. A 175k miles saturn is not ideal when you're sitting at home listening to a stereo system that's worth 3 times as much.

A man has to have his priorites. Stereo gear really shouldn't be one of them IMHO.

Thanks Dave, but things aren't that dire yet.

Craig, you're a riot. That's the same thing I was trying to get at when I asked Kelly if all SET amps sounded pretty much the same. I accept what he came back with -- no, but there are characteristic similiarities. I think I agree with that. Push-Pulls don't all sound the same, but you can tell when you're listening to a Push-Pull. I think the same principle may apply to SET as well.

However, I honestly believe I could pick an EL-34 push-pull from a push-pull using KT-88s. I think I might also be able to pick out solid state rectified from tube rectified. I'm almost positive I could pick an ugly amp from a nice looking one in a DBT. :)

Don, I appreciate the offer, but not really interested.

Kelly,

Soldering is Craig's strong suit. Reading is not.

I expect this and rarely get angry anymore.

I don't need to sharpen up my reading skills at all. I know bullsh!t when I see it and it spews from your keyboard to no end !!

For instance

1)when is the last time you traded a $100 cap for a $10 cap yourself on your own system to compare ??? I bet never !! So your statement to its effects are blatant bullsh!t

2)When have you own or modded a Quick Silver product ?? I thought so .... never so how would you know if they take to mods and upgrades ?? Again complete bullsh!t

3) This statement by you !!

But comparing SET amps is a bit different, as you might have seen if you have been reading all the posts lately. As Jeff and I said, among others, SET amplifiers REALLY DO rely more on the quality of OUTPUT iron, as well as the parts involved. The Wrights are great for the money and I think have excellent quality. But the iron and parts DO really weigh in moer with the single-ended amps, especialyl those relying on air-gapped iron. The Parafeed solution is a whole other ballgame too, but the differences in the iron's material brings BIG differences in sonics

These may all be true but exactly how would you know ??? You heard it or read it elsewhere I would guess because you haven't done a darn thing to amp as far as I know heck your EL34 push pull has been in disrepair for 2 1/2 years and your Moondogs have been out of service for what a couple months for a simple repair !! If you can't change these parts out and audition the effects like Jeff, Eric or others have then you have no Idea what they really can or can't do now can you !

What other single ended amp have you owned and had in your system ?? I myself would like proof because I'm to the point where I believe about a 10th of what you say !

If we take your track record of the last 2 1/2 years into account I have no other option then to believe your just spewing a line on the entire forum because some will eat it up. I have not seen you do a darn thing to your system that you didn't get for absolutely free and that is very small amount of gear. So tell me Kelly when did you hear all this gear that you have such godly opinions about that no one should dare challenge ! Tell us I know there are many members here that would like to know I hear from them almost daily !

Craig

----------------

On 10/8/2003 10:15:34 PM NOSValves wrote:

Kelly,

Soldering is Craig's strong suit. Reading is not.

I expect this and rarely get angry anymore.

I don't need to sharpen up my reading skills at all. I know bullsh!t when I see it and it spews from your keyboard to no end !!

For instance

----------------

Jesus, Craig ... we really love you man, but I think you're like Ole Faithful on occasion ... you cruise along in the "under the radar" mode, then, POP!! you're spouting with vigor and rigor.

Is Kelly really that bad? Or is there something under your skin that is just driving you to the edge? I see a lot of consistency in his posting over the last few years, and all that I can recall were based on his experience. I don't see my BS meter twitching all that hard, and while I'm older, grayer and, as Jeff alludes, thinning in the hair department, I think he's fairly competent. Of course, I am not qualified to judge competence other than overseeing the occasional game of checkers down at the Lancaster post office on Saturday a.m.'s.

PS: As an aside, I have periodic issues as well. I usually move the magnet on the refrigerator up from the neutral position to the elevated one. The Mrs. gets the hint and moves her magnet to her relative position. When both magnets are in the northern quadrants, it's a good day. I find my kharma to be much more balanced.

Then again, you're much younger than I and probably aren't concerned with such things.

Your are SUCH a nasty bastard sometimes Craig. Do you post this vitriolic crap here to keep from being violent? If so I suggest you continue to TYPE this stuff, but please refrain from SUBMITTING if at all possible. Kelly's posts are for the most part GOOD NATURED and you could learn A LOT from him!