Home Theater Scorecard

damonrpayne

Hello all,

I am seeking to create a funny yet fair "scorecard" for home theaters. I would like it to be comprehensive, covering everything from what equipment is there, to how it's set up, to how the room is decorated. Her is my first SWAG (stupid wild arsed guess) on my site I'd appreciate comments regarding how things where weighted and things I might be missing.

My changes or additions are in Red

Environment

Home theater is in your livingroom: -5

Dedicated Home Theater room: +5

Your Home Theater is in your Bathroom: +2

Your furniture is comfortable enough to watch all 3 Lord of the Rings movies without getting up: +3

All lighting can be shut out if need be: +2

Popcorn is generally available: +1

Cold beverages are generally available: +1

Sound treatment on walls: +3

Stadium seating: +1 (cool factor)

Theater Seating has place for cups and cooler: +4

Equipment

Home theater in a box: -10

One or more components built by hand: +10 (cool factor)

Speaker angles and positions calibrated with laser pointer: +2

Channel balance calculated with a Sound Pressure Level meter: +5

Speaker configuration is:

Less than 5.1: -5

5.1: +0

7.1: +2

Speakers are connected via:

Bare wire: +0

Banna plugs or spades: +1

Wireless: +3

Oxygen free silver halogen free silver braided wire: -10

Your subwoofer goes down to: (at +/-3db)

25 hz or higher: -2

24 hz: +0

20-23hz: +1

less than 20hz: +2

Earthquake siesmographs record the epicenter as being in your HT: +15

Sound processed via:

Audio Video Reciever: 0

Separate Preamp/Processor and Amplifier: +3

40,000 dollar separates connected by oxegyn free silver wire: -10 (get a life)

System power output is:

50 watts/channel: +5

100 watts/channel: +4

125 watts/channel: +3

150-200 watts/channel: +1

200-300 watts/channel: +0

more than 300 watts/channel: -1 (Buy more efficient speakers)

Your display is:

HD Capable: +3

27" or smaller: -2

32" : +0

36" : +1

40-50" : +2

greather than 50" : +3

Front projector and screen: +5

Your total score: ________

What your score means:

0 or less: People prefer a walkman and black and white TV to your system

12-19 A "real deal" home theater. Solid, enjoyable, but not crazy.

20-24 Your system is so cool, your friends and neighbors ask if they can schedule movies and sporting events in your home theater.

25 or more Skywalker ranch is jealous

Now, I want to state for the record I took some liberties with the "One or more compontents built by hand" question for two reasons.

1) You didn't state what kind of components. Just electrical or room stuff in general.

2) If you had seen that room before I had ever considered turning it into a theater you would appreciate all the work I have done. Not to mention, I think that shattering my wrist (requiring surgery) by falling off a ladder while working on my theater on the second day of a two week vacation where I was going to spend the full two weeks working on my theater THUS waisting my entire 2 weeks must account for something big... 10 points cha ching 9.gif

I use:

- a different remote control for each piece of gear -3

- a combined TV/VCR remote plus separate remotes for my other stuff -0

- a single remote which controls every device that works with a remote +3

- a single remote which controls every device that works with a remote, as well as every device that doesn't (like room lights, Dolby Digital/DTS signs, fans, the dog) and which took an un-Godly amount of hours and fussing with to make it work +5

- a family member as my remote control - only a small amount of programming required! +10

Hi Damon

Nice project.

My HT scored a 42 on your list.

A couple of notes. Environment #7 sound treatment on walls - What if your room is designed so you do not have to have any?

Equipment #6 Bare wire or Bannana plugs? I have bare wire only because I do not trust bannana plugs after frying a nice amp in the '80s by a plug falling out, but besides that, Im thinking you should not see either. Why not score something based on not having ANY speaker wire or interconnects or power cables for that matter being visable in your room or rack. Thinking a less clutter or cleaner look the better.

JM

My home theater is really where everyone hangs out. The living room gets used more for homework and to sit where there is no tv. I think if you design your living room or a great room as your HT room then you should get credit for that. Especially since a lot of folks don't have rooms they can dedicate to just HT and nothing else. If I could afford to build just a HT room it would be 12h x 25w x 35d. I would slope the room so your friend behind you can see over your head. I would run 4 Khorns(1 in each corner), Stacked La Scala's for the center, 1 pair of KPT250 on each side and 1 KPT250 in the rear between the rear khorns. But I don't have that kind of room and I would not really have the money to build it, unless I wanted a divorce. So I am happy with the home theater I have built, that doubles as the "real" living room.

I only scored a 12 and my HT ain't too shabby IMO.

My 34" tube widescreen should be worth more than some of the bigger projection tvs.

Room doubles as 2-channel listening area with seperate amp driving same fronts. Should be worth something for convenience factor.