What are you listening to?

joshnich

more stuff:

XTC-Nonesuch-Hooray for Peter Pumpkinhead! i love "Books Are Burning"

The Band- Music From Big Pink-i love anything that makes Clapton pass out!

Dylan-Bringing It All Back Home- Wow! excellent job sounds wonderful.

Shane MacGowan & the Popes-The Snake-did anyone else see the documentery "If I Should Fall From Grace" on Sundance channel the other night? what a mess! i love this guy! (first person to guess the number of teeth he has left wins the big, big prize!)

Van Morrison-Astral Weeks- my lulliby

Lou Reed-Take No Prisoners- my comedy album...got a ticket once speeding listening to "Sattelite of Love"

Rockpile-Seconds of Pleasure-

Replacements-Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash-all i can say is Bob Stinson in a diaper

Pete Townsend & Ronnie Lane-Rough Mix-i forgot how good this is-i miss Ronnie Lane

should i mention the multi-channel disc by Zappa, Halloween?

I think he meant Genesis Archives, a box set released in 1997 or so.

You can get TLLDOB from Classic records for $45 or so. Serioulsy considering the purchase, eventhough I already have a German version that was formerly considered the best pressing available.

----------------

On 10/14/2003 6:06:31 PM bkrop wrote:

Genesis "The Lamb Lays Down on Broadway" is most certainly available on LP! It's a double album from 1974!

----------------

Opening my ears to JAZZ!

I listen to KCCK 88.3 fm from Cedar Rapids, the only dedicated Jazz station in Iowa.

You can check out their webcast:

http://www.kcck.org/

Smooth Jazz guitar:

Chris Standring - Groovalicious

Jeff Golub - Soul Sessions

Also:

Steely Dan - Everything Must Go

Lyle Lovett - Live in Texas (the Large band style, a must!)

Since your limiting the selection to the past 5 years, I'll mention only 3 artist. COLDPLAY, JOHN MAYER, JONNY LANG only these 3 because I like every song on their album(s). If you let me go back further I'll show my head banging side.

COLDPLAY..."Parachutes" and/or "Rush Of Blood To The Head"

JOHN MAYER...."Room For Squares"

JONNY LANG...."Smokin", "Lie To Me" and "Wonder This World"

Nice topic josh...now that I've read through the posts, I've got list of CD's to sample.

See ya!

Wow! Just checked into this thread and I must say, it seems as though there's a lot of commonality in the members' choices. The last 5 years must've produced only a handful of acceptable/accessible pop, jazz, etc. I listen to a very few albums with any regularity but here's my list of the underated and overlooked in popdom:

Uncle Tupelo - "Anthology" (they've disbanded but the release is new so it counts in my book)

Wilco - "Yankee Hotel" (this is where most of Uncle Tupelo ended up)

Mike Keneally - "Live in Japan" (ex-Zappa guitarist and a fun guy to party with)

Flaming Lips - "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robot" (I still like "Clouds Taste Metallic" best but a nice album NTL)

Adrian Belew - "Salad Days" (nice live compilation of past works and he just released "Lone Rhino" & "Twang bar King" on CD - both highly recommended)

Bill Nelson - "Whistleing While the World Turns" & "Big Atom" (very ecclectic pop but always entertaining)

Morphine - "Bootleg Detroit" (a good taste but I like "Cure for Pain" best)

Tom Waits - "Mule Variations" & "Blood Money" (he still sounds fresh)

Kevin Gilbert - "THUD" (his last album - such a waste)

All Mighty Senators - "Music is Big Business" (recent album from Baltimore's own Funk/Soul band. Great live show!)

I know that's 10 but I came up with a dozen more so where are you gonna draw the line? This is just a list of recent pop artists- there's more.

I've seen the Red Elvises many times performing free at the Santa Monica Prominade. They're pretty fun to watch. Not to mention Adam Ho, an amazing guitar player since he was about 10 or 11 (now 14, I believe). Come to think of it, there's some pretty impressive talent down there on weekend nights.

Chris,

I saw them in Petaluma earlier this year. I took a load of pictures. They are a totally fun band. Durring the break, they were hanging out in the audience, and somehow Oleg (their electric balilaika

fini

I've also compiled a list of what I consider progressive music selections. I'll try to keep it brief...

King Crimson "The Power to Be" - a nod to the past but fresh stuff from my all-time favorite band that's still in business

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones "Outland" - outstanding sonics and exceptional musicians makes this one of the most played CDs I have. The best jazz banjo/bass combo out there.

Adrian Legg "Guitar Bones" Brilliant guitarist with a refreshing sense of humor. Catch him live.

Europa String Choir "Starving Moon" Ethereal and moving. Where I think progressive music meets modern "classical".

California Guitar Trio - "Pathways" these guys actually mix several classical (mostly Bach) pieces into each album along with pop tunes and Frippesque tracks. Very engaging and truely ecclectic.

Kenso - "25th Anniversary Concert" another great progressive band that's been around forever and nobody's heard of them. Of course, they're from Japan and rarely visit the US so...

Pekka Pohjola "Pihkasilma Kaarnakorva" OK, he's not from around here either and his best work is 20 years old but its still excellent progressive music and its just been re-released so it counts.

B.L.U.E. "Upper Extremities" a fine example of progressive jazz with Bill Bruford and Tony Levin of King Crimson fame mixing it up with the jazz trumpet of Chris Botti and the "out there" guitar of David Torn.

John Paul Jones "Thunderchief" a spotty album at best but it shows promise and its a nice contrast to hear progressive from an ex-Zeppelin member.

Happy the Man "The Muse Awakens" as yet unreleased album but I've heard every tune and its pretty much a continuation and update of their great 70's stuff. Can't wait!

Ok, that's enough. One more comment on Genesis' Lamb LP - its certainly my favorite Genesis LP (a close 2nd is Foxtrot) but JEEZ! I have several copies of the album - Japanese, German, British (Holland) & US and I have yet to hear a good recording. I chaulk it up to the band's (read Peter's) fickleness and the industry's half-assed approach to recording. Lots of overdubs and splices, often on reused tape made for a very veiled, dull and noisy recording. The remastered "Archives" sounds much better but still nothing like the one-take recordings of the 50s and early 60s. Oh well, still a brilliant album.

• Like 1

OK, one more list and I promise to give it up. Being a native North Carolinian, it would be a glaring omission not to list selections of bands from the homestate that I have enjoyed. Here goes...

Southern Culture on the Skids "Live at El Sol" fun Hillbilly/Southern rock with tongue firmly planted in their respective cheeks.

Dixie Dregs "California Screamin'" Ode to past glories but I recommend Dregs of the Earth and Night of the Living Dregs as their best efforts.

Squirrel Nut Zippers "Bedlam Ballroom" Southern rock meets Swing in a delightful mix of instuments and tunes.

Ben Folds Five "Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner" finally put together a great concept album and immediately split up - go figure.

Doc Watson "Best of..." DW has been around forever and I remember seeing him when I was just a wee lad. He still gets around although not as much as he used to so I haven't seen him in years. Still and excellent folk/country guitarist. See him while you have the chance.

A correction of sorts. The dBs were mostly made up of fellas from NC from time to time but I know Chris and he'll tell you that the band actually didn't get together until they were in NYC. Its a technicality sure, but worth a note.

Chris and Peter were more my brother's age and graduated around the same time from Reynolds High. I graduated a few years ahead of Ben Folds and didn't give him the time of day until I met him again in a guitar shop in Winston-Salem. I met most of the guys in the WS music scene there at one time or another - Don Dixon, David Dixon, Chris Stamey, Mitch Easter, Eric Marshall, Steve Catron, etc. Of course, they didn't know me from Adam but it was fun listening to their tales of (mostly) woe and I got enough of an understanding of the music industry to know that if you weren't really drawn to it - best to stay far away.

I even spent a brief moment with Peter Buck and Michael Stipe of REM fame in that shop when they were hungry. Those were the days...still have the Bowie t-shirt (that started our conversation) and for the right price, I'll cut it up and sell it off. 2.gif Sorry for the self-grandiose moment. Have fun, Bryan

Whoa, Bryan, interesting list there! How can you mention prog and not mention Gentle Giant? Your list contains many items that I need to check out as I've been hearing of them.

But here's what I've been listening to lately. I attended my wife's 30th high school reunion where she was in the choir. Some of her fellow vocalists were present and every one of them talked about the teacher, who was one of those rare human beings who could bring out the best from each pupil. The school would cut a record of the choir every year, and someone brought the records from the years they were there. I have been digitizing these for them so those who lost their copies can now have CDs and as I have been doing them, I've got to say, they did indeed sound terrific, especially being a high school choir!

As to new stuff, my newest prog would also be King Crimson and Tony Levin's Waters of Eden (almost like a smooth jazz sound) and Pieces of the Sun (more prog like). Of course, I have most of the new Bruford's Earthworks, which is excellent jazz.

I recently got a copy of Stravinsky's Firebird Telarc LP in excellent condition. This record had virtually no dust on it, especially compared to an Al Dimeola record I found in my collection still sealed. When I played that one it had more dust on it than the used LP!

I love Gentle Giant, and for the longest time could have survived on them and 10cc alone.

Last night I listened too:

Hey Dean, Temple wants a bath!

Hey Dean, would you mind taking Ian for a while?

Hey Dean, don't forget to call your mom back.

Hey Dean, ...

Hey Dean, ...

I don't need a listening room -- I need a freaking padded room.

Andy,

Gentle Giant is at the top of my list but they haven't put out any new music in the last 5 years so they don't qualify in this thread. They did finally release "In a Glass House" on CD a few years ago and have compiled some old recordings but nothing new, There was a tribute CD put together by some interesting folks including Kevin Gilbert and Phil Beane (another Winston-Salem bud) which you should check out if you get a chance. Most of the recent releases just don't stack up to the classic GG albums (Octopus, Power & the Glory, Missing Piece and Glass House being my favs but its hard to pick).

Tony Levin's recent album (Pieces of the Sun) is a excellent suggestion but I didn't think to put it on the list. Probably should take the place of John Paul Jones. Thanks, Bryan

----------------

On 10/18/2003 7:15:44 AM Gilbert wrote:

..now that I've read through the posts, I've got list of CD's to sample.

See ya!

----------------

No Kidding Gilbert! Actually that is why I started the thread ...to find some new music. I dont listen to the radio much but I read a fair bit but still, finding something new is hard. all to often I fall back into listening to old favs...not that there is any thing wrong with that. But for me there is a great joy in finding something new - that I actually like!

josh

bkrop,

David Torn is one strange guitarist and I thought he and Tony Levin balanced the jazz influence of Bruford and Botti in B.L.U.E. Unfortunately they got together only briefly and put out one studio and one live album ("Blue Nights"). They played at Orion Studios here in Baltimore and really blew everyone away since no one had heard their stuff. Interestingly, neither Tony Levin nor Bill Bruford has played with King Crimson since they released this album. Maybe Fripp got jealous!

I don't have any of David Torn's solo albums so please send me a few suggestions. Thanks, Bryan