Cornwalls wake to NOS Valves rebuilt Scott

mark1101

Another all too familiar tale. But Ill tell it anyway. Sit back.

I have had various models of Klipsch Heritage speakers over the last 25+ years. It was not until I got into this forum over the last few months that I can honestly say I have gained the information that led to the single most drastic and important improvement in my Klipsch speaker audio systems. Of course that would be adding cost effective tube amps to my Cornwalls and LaScalas.

I always kind of knew that tubes would be better. But I was never that interested because I always thought I would need thousands of dollars. I found out here that you dont need thousands of dollars, and that the Heritage series can wake up like never before.

I have been using Yamaha and Denon receivers in the $600 - $700 price range over the last 3-4 years, and have had other ss amps as well. The corns have been in 4 different houses, many different rooms, and have sometimes even frustrated me trying to get them to sound right. But I learned how to optimize using an EQ and still have really enjoyed them.

So after reading and reading I made my choices and purchased the 2 Scotts listed below. This story is about the 299, the difference it has made in my Klipsch speakers, and the difference Craig at NOS Valves has made in that Scott amp.

The 299 I purchased was rebuilt. I sent Craig some digital pictures of the chassis to verify and we discussed the amp over the phone. As it turned out it was actually in the barely rebuilt category, but it did function OK. Craig spent a couple of hours on the phone having me take several measurements and set the bias which was off. After all this I knew I could trust what I read about Craig. And I really was not satisfied with the amps performance, so I decided to send the amp up to NOS Valves.

After Craig inspected it and discussed part options, I received a parts list. A fair amount of work was needed to achieve what we set out to accomplish. Craig unsoldered and tested all the power caps and ended up replacing them because they were all bad, and had been patched under chassis. The amp had Illinois caps in it that I wanted replaced with Auricaps. The rest was a horde of miscellaneous parts that Craig could tell you about. I also purchased the recommended bias mod that placed test points on the top of the chassis and pots out the back so the amp could be balanced and biased from outside. This has turned out to be a very safe and smart modification to keep things tuned easily and avoid the 360+v supply. I know a lot of you have this mod.

OK, so I got it back and started unwrapping. It was packed to the hilt. Bubblewrap + Peanuts + cardboard all boxed tightly. The first thing I did was take it apart. Immediately I noticed the replaced cans and bias mod components on top. The work is extremely neat, and looks like a factory job. Under the chassis was even more pretty. A myriad of new parts all spaced and positioned nicely with clean solder joints. And those Auricaps staring right at me. The unit is absolutely beautiful, like a classic work of art, top and bottom. But I had no idea what I was about to hear.

When I first turned it on I couldnt believe it. I had used this amp for a few weeks before I sent it to Craig but it sounded completely different now. It sounded like I got a new pair of speakers actually (a new set of tweeters), and a much more powerful amp. The tweeters never sounded so crisp and definitive. The high hat hits are so crisp and clear I cant describe it, and the bass gets way low like a church organ. My corns always had good bass, but never like this. I had told Craig that the bass notes were skipping some of my CDs. I never had that happen before. I had to stand the verts up (they were lying down on their sides) because the bass was blowing me out at times. The range from soft to loud has come out too, big time. The cornwalls have become something new and improved, like never before. Its so much fun listening to them this way.

Working all the controls everything operates perfectly. All the functions work correctly and quietly. No noisy controls, no hum, no hiss at all. You can turn the volume up all the way with a CD on pause, and the speakers are dead silent with an ear right up to each of the drivers. A very very clean amp. The loudness control (the switch) is more balanced and operates better than on my Yamaha (reverse dial loudness). The channels output very evenly as well. Very balanced. It is almost embarrassing at over 40 years old how much better this old Scott is (with my Klipsch) compared to the Yamaha and Denon sound I get with the same speakers. All in all a whole new sound experience for my cornwalls. The alnico drivers sound phenomenal now, and I dumped my equalizer. I have never used Klipsch speakers without an EQ over 25 years because I could never optimize the sound to my satisfaction with the ss amps. Now I almost have to defeat the treble and bass. I have almost no need to increase either with most of the music I have played.

Over the weekend I just let it play and play. Several hours. You can actually hear the sound development improving as the amp plays longer. I suppose those Auricaps are breaking in. But it is still improving if you can believe it.

The best part is that you can trust Craig. He set realistic expectations and then did exactly what he said he would do. His price was more than fair, and his communication and customer service outstanding, and he provided full maintenance documentation with pictures and parts list. I consider his type of service as unique and of great importance to this forum. He knows the parts and performance!! I highly recommend NOS Valves and will certainly keep in touch with Craig and use his services again. I had no idea what I had been missing all these years.

Great review, it goes to show you that you really need to get those vintage amps rebuilt, and rebuilt buy someone like Craig that knows what they are doing.You might as well sell that EQ you will never use it with the scott.And yes give that amp about 50 more hours and it will only get better and better.

Mark,

I think you took my review and put your name on it.2.gif

Actually, I didn't go into that much detail but had the same result.

Today I sent Craig a Mac MC240 to see if his first attempt at rebuilding a Mac amp yields similiar results. I hope it does. I know he's been hoping to give it a try for a while now and we've sort of been planning this for at least a couple months. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Craig.

I'm glad you're discovering all your old music for the first time. I went through it also. Put on Mars Hotel and listen to Unbroken Chain with your eyes closed sitting in the sweet spot and tell me you don't hear a half dozen instruments you never knew were there.16.gif

The good sounds are just starting. It sounds as if you are in awe right now, but the sound will continue to expand and smooth out up to the about 100 hour mark where it seems to level out or be fully "burned in". Craig really knows how to make those babies sing. You will play through all the music in your collection and find new sounds in every session that you never knew existed.

You know...

Craig takes a lot of Sh!t on this Forum from some who say he's just here to promote his buisness, but if you ever do any buisness with him whether it be a simple question,an e-mail, or a full-on rebuild (I have done all of these) he's always there to help you out.

I had sold my Scott LK-48 to a fellow member and it was damaged during shipment (gotta love UPS). UPS was reluctant to pay the damages and wanted a repair estimate from someone who knew Vintage audio. Enter Craig, with a full blown repair estimate explaining the details.

Craig was instrumental in getting UPS to pay up on the claim and he did this for me without asking for a penny in return.

Craig is one class act person in my book and judging from the many happy posts I am not alone.

Keep up the good work Mr. Ostby,

Jeff

Your story is good to hear.

Craig makes something possible that simply wasn't there before him: reasonably priced amplification optimized for Klipsch speakers. Klipsch should have hired him years ago .. maybe the ss dark ages could have been avoided (probably not, but ..).

leok

Man I feel all warm and fuzzy. There is something about sending out a amp and hearing back these raving reviews that make it all worth while. I sure thank you guys for all chiming in. I still say and probably always will say for the money spent you are going to be hard pressed to get a major improvement for less then $1500 and maybe more. The thing about these amps is to best them by a large margin you have to go into the endless money pit of separates and try to find a match for all the components. Scott , Fisher, EICO, Pilot, Harmon Kardon, Stromberg Calrson and others did this all in one unit. They all can sound great ! I truly think that many of the Nay Sayers around here heard units just like Mark's rebuilt with yesterdays or todays so so parts or even worse with there old dried up originals and voltages way out of spec.

Enjoy your amps guy and if there is a problem I will be here to fix it up !

I have great plans for the MC240 and there won't be a single mod I bet the thing sings with just some Cap replacements and general freshening up.

Craig

----------------

On 10/20/2003 11:04:06 PM DeanG wrote:

Well, that's true -- at least your amps don't shoot flames across the room.
9.gif"

Should I tell everyone what you just told me about the Eico HF-81?

Yeah, seems Craig is finally admitting it sounds as good as his Mark III's.
----------------

Time for a little celebration. You hear that, Kelly?

Can't wait to get my hands on a 299 or a MC240. I forsee them in my system in the near future. I have this ESp that tells me they are coming. I just have to wait.

Gary-Mars Hotel? what album or cd is that. Never heard of the tune. I hope it is not classical. It will take me months to get through the stuff I have already. ONe or two songs at a time.

Craig,

nice try, but if that's the stuff slime is made of......then count me in9.gif

Now seriously speaking: you all know that Kelly has called this little amp magical, and at last I know why! I mean it's known how much a good tube might improve an amp, but still the all Mullard setup has caught me by surprise. In a sense the amp reminds me know of my first heritage exposure: once listened to, it was clear which speakers I needed and now I know I am equally convinced about the Eico. I am sure other vintage integrated are also very good and probably likewise admired by their proud owners; I am just glad that I have reached such a level of satisfaction that I don't HAVE TO think about yet another vintage integrated.....

Wolfram