Best Budget SS Amp

arena

I'm currently running a pair of RP3s with a Harmon Kardon HK3370 reciever, and have a Rega Planet 2000 for source.

I got the RP3s for $500 on eBay, and the Rega Planet 2000 for $500 on Audiogon.com. I am EXTREMELY pleased with both.

However I feel the Harmon Kardon is now the weakest link in my system. Would I notice significant improvement by upgrading my amp? I know significant is a relative/subjective term, but I do feel I noticed significant improvement by switching from Sony to Rega for source, and I've heard the pre-amp/amp will make a greater difference in sound quality.

I consider the RP3s and the Rega Planet 2000 great bargains at $500 a piece, so what are some options for a great bargain amp? I'd be spending $500-600, but purchasing from eBay or Audiogon and I don't mind used, so I could end up with an amp that originally sold for more than my target price.

At this point I'm not really considering tubes, I've never been able to hear a tube amp and my friend is having a rough time with his vox ac30, so I think I'll stick with solid state for now.

You guys helped me decide on the Rega Planet 2000, so thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Arena,

when I moved my klipsch's out from a HT setup with an Onkyo into a Stereo setup with a NAD, I could notice an audible difference in quality..if you do plan to get a stereo receiver get any NAD/Rotel product. Anything rated between 20-50 Would be good enough and it would not stretch your budget as well..

Cheers!

Used Nakamichi STASIS amps and recievers (which can be used just as amps) are great SS amps and can be had for reasonable prices used (not really cheap though). They were built in conjunction with Threshold which produced some of the finest amps in the world at any price. They range from about 50 w/c in the TA model recievers up to 300 w/ch in the PA series amps. 2 channel only though.

NOT just any receiver will do. In fact, most of the black tin boxes sold as receivers these days are woefully inadequate to the task of driving super-sensitive and dynamic big ole horns. The vintage harmon/kardon models do seem to be exceptions, according to the 3330B model I have and other posters here, Denon models are also said to be exceptions, but I have yet to hear one. All of the modern receivers sound quite similar to me. I believe that over a long period of listening, they wear out your ears but then I am a tube kinda guy. Wether it is their heavier build or larger transformers, I do NOT know, but the few vintage solid-state receivers I have all sounded at least equally good or better than the few modern solid-state receivers I have heard on my big ole horns.

If you can settle for two channel (three if the TV is used as a center channel) then I would at vintage solid-state receivers for $5 to $50 bucks as a second option. My first choice would be refurbished integrated tube amplifiers from invaluable forum contributor NOSvalves. You could always listen to them for thirty days and return them if you do NOT like them. You can also resell them for what you paid for them.

All this is secondary to the improvement that a good sub woofer can make on your home movie and music reproduction system. Since our profiles STILL do NOT say what equipment we have, I do NOT know if you have one, but if you want to make a tangible difference to your system, one that you can fell in the seat of your pants, even a modest sub, like the KSW series, makes a difference as noticeable as a clowns nose with your music and movies!

2.gif

----------------

actually we need more details, budget? room size? ht? 2 channel?----------------

Budget: $500-$600

Room Size: 20 feet long by 14 feet wide by 10 feet high.

Strictly 2 Channel, no HT.

As to subs, the RP3s each have a 10 inch sub with a built in 440 watt amp, so no problems there.

Any other suggestions?

I recommend an Acurus stereo amp. They are resonably priced. Get the second generation with the oval cutout on the face panel. Even a 100 watt amp would be plenty of power, as you will be driving the top end only, and not the built in subs.

I run my KSP's with an Acurus 125X5 and they will play loud and clean. Bear in mind that I haven't heard the RP's driven by an Acurus amp, but I'm happy with what I have.

Good luck!

Keith

I agree with Colin...Not any reciever will do. Even though he thinks Denon are okay, I'm not nearly as convinced. My opinion probably differes from many on this board. I not conviced about the idea of running outboard amps with most modertly priced recievers, expecially with Klipsch speakers. Due to the effency of klipsch speakers most recievers has sufficent power to run them quite well. When adding outboard amps you might be able to hear subitle improvement, a bit more refinement, but not a HUGE difference. Atleast compared to my experience with my Denon 3801, even with an outboard amp the Denon really sucked the life out of my classical CDs (Digital input, I didn't have a "good" CDP). I ended up with an Acurus ACT3 for my pre/pro, no that made a HUGE difference in the sound. You can try an amp first, but you might not find the sound you are looking for. So be prepared to get a preamp/processor too.

-Dave

I have a 2 year old Acurus A200X5 I am thinking of selling since I just bought two new tube amps. I think the retail was about $2000+ and it's a great amp but not sure I need it anymore. Could probably let it go pretty reasonably. Another good amp to look at, especially for horns would be the B&Ks. You could find a used ST-140 for about $250 and have a sweet amp. The Rotel are nice as well with a little more 'ompf' than the B&Ks but not as 'tubelike' sounding, IMHO.

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Give a good condition H/K 430, 730, or 930 receiver a try...you will be quite surprised at what these older H/K models can do in comparison to your current model in use(yeah, I know your current model is not exactly a new model...but years BEFORE it was made, H/K was making better ones...trust me on this!)

The best sounding, reasonably priced SS amps I am familiar with are vintage pieces: Yamaha CA-x00 or CA-x10 series integrateds. I have a Yamaha CA-610II bought new in 1978 and still working wonderfully. It is smooth and refined; sounds better to me than any of its contemporary massmarket pieces.

For a more specific recommendation: a nice used CA-1010, 810, or 610II. Depending upon one's budget.

I had a Yamaha CA-800 for YEARS. It was warm and smooth with my La Scalas. The bass was a bit loose, compared to the Parasound amps I have now, but it did sound very good. It could be switched to Class A and had 8 wpc. In Class A, it sounded a little bit better. The tone controls, filters, tape facillities are all great.

It was 2-channel, of course