Most original movie concepts?

minn_male42

First guilty pleasures, now we have a most original survey.

Believe or NOT Roger Ebert had a list of the most significant movies of all time. I like Rays list above NOT merely the movies he likes, but the ones that were significant. I have to add Schindlers List and Apocalypse Now. I think Blade Runner was a precursor to the science fiction genre that followed. Also add cult classics as Rocky Horror Picture Show and Bud Corts Harold and Maude movie with the Cat Stevens music. I think Titanic, like it or NOT, was also significant, if only for the ¼ scale aquatic film studio in Mexico where they filmed the recently released Master and Commander. Citizen Kane has to be on this list. Historic autobiography of a mega-manic by a mega-maniacas drama. China Syndrome, because it changed the way we think of nuclear power.

2.gif

Guest Webmaster

----------------

On 11/16/2003 3:33:56 PM m00n wrote:

I think I have to add Star Wars. It really is a great story even if you think the last two movies are weak.----------------

The only problem I have with this is that Star Wars is about 80% ripped off of Frank Herbert's Dune series (the first three books mostly). When I first read those books, I couldn't believe how many similarities there were. Anakin = Paul. Both have children that are twins, a boy and a girl and even though both were supposed to be the "one", it was their male child that turned out to actually be the real "one". The only difference there is that Paul didn't go bad like Anakin. Also, Pauls finds out that his grandfather is his enemy, the Baron Harkonnen where Lukes finds out that his father is his enemy, Vader. You also have the desert worlds (arrakis = tatooine) with strange native people (fremen = tusken raiders). In the Dune world, you have the Bene Gesserit which are essentially the same thing as Jedi. The only difference is that they are all female until Paul is born, but Paul, like Anakin, is the most powerful of them all. There are so many other similarities too.

I once read somehwere that Lucas wanted to make a Dune movie but that at the time, the special effects he needed to pull it off didn't exist so he started working on his story for Star Wars instead. I lost a little respect for Lucas and the Star Wars movies after reading the Dune books and seeing how much of the story he "borrowed" to create the basic story of Star Wars. Read the books if you haven't already (although sorry that I've given much of the plot away). I think they may be the best SciFi book series ever, with the exception of some of the books that Frank's son wrote with Kevin J. Anderson. Sorry for the rant.

Here's something I just came across that I hadn't seen before (http://www.jitterbug.com/origins/dune.html):

When Frank Herbert saw Star Wars for the first time he felt angry. Herbert believed that George Lucas had borrowed so many ideas from Dune that film studios would no longer be interested in a Dune movie. Herbert described sixteen points the stories have in common. "The chances of that happening by coincidence," he said, "Is greater than the number of stars in the universe." He and other science fiction authors who felt Lucas had borrowed too heavily from them formed the unofficial We're Too Big to Sue George Lucas Society.

I'd have to TOTALLY disagree with the Matrix Trilogy. Everything in those movies is BORROWED. Almost all of the imagery and even quite a few scenes are lifted directly from Ghost in the Shell. And as for the concept....Lifted from Dark City.

Anyway, I do vote for Memento, Fight Club, Vertigo (a pioneer). Ghost in the Shell, Light Years, and Fantastic Planet are some original Animated films.

Also:

City of the Lost Children

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ( or anything else by Gilliam)

Amelie

Waking Life

2001: A space Odyessey

Animal House

Blade Runner

All is Quiet on Western Front

Das Boot

Toy Story

THX1138

Jaws

North By Northwest

Sixth Sense

The Godfather 1, 2 & 3

Casablanca

Pulp fiction

pyscho

Taxi Driver

Alien

To name a few.......

----------------

On 11/16/2003 11:21:18 PM DeanG wrote:

Gary, I read The Dark Tower series too.

Who do you picture playing the part of the Gunslinger?

----------------

Dean,

Who would you have play the part of Roland? I can only think of a 40 year old Clint Eastwood. Nobody today seems right.

Eddie could be played by the guy who plays Christopher on The Sporanos. The kid from The Sixth Sense could be Jake.

----------------

On 11/20/2003 10:53:59 AM dblue wrote:

Also:

City of the Lost Children

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ( or anything else by Gilliam)

Amelie

Waking Life

----------------

Wow - DBlue - this is probably the first time that I have ever seen you so far off base. The "Concept" of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas has nothing to do with this guy named Gilliam. The "Concept" of Gonzo Journalism belongs only to Hunter S. Thompson and the delineation of fact versus fiction in any of his writings is still open to debate. Two different versions of the movie were made and neither really capture the real tone or grit of the book. To list this among "Concept Movies" is to relegate it's brillance to Hollywood spoor.