Integrated Amp suggestions for Forte,Heresy or Chorus

stan krajewski

I have both Chorus II's and Forte II's. I have integrated the Forte's to my HT rears after I purchased my Chorus's. I have never had any trouble with my Sony ES series receivers that I owned, and still use the DA4ES to this day for movies. I used it for 2 channel listening also up until a week ago when I got into tubes with a Scott LK-72B purchase. The tubes just bring music listening to a whole new level, and upkeep and reliability are worth it so far it seems.

Beyond Sony and Yamaha for receivers I have no experience in high end Solid State Integrateds, but I will give a recommendation for Sony ES series receivers. My DA4ES has been very nice for my Chorus and Fortes.

Bob

Stan,

my Harman Kardon 630 was built in 1976 and is still kickin out the jams. The 430, 630, 730, and 930 are all twin powered, reliable, cheap as dirt on Ebay, and were among the best selling amps of their decade. We're talking under $100 in the house for most all of these, and they will outperform and look better than a new integrated up to about $500. I boo-booed a little - they are all receivers, so you get a good am/fm tuner section as well!

If your bro wants to save money to buy more CDs or get a better player, this is an economical way to go for quality!

Stan

Last summer I got a chance to hear our own HDBRbuilders's Heresys driven by a HK 430 receiver. Like Dave posted above - IMO they are some of the only SS receivers that do Heritage speakers proud. Sounded way better than any Sony, Yamaha or NAD receiver I have ever heard.

Do your brother a favor and find one on EBAY.

JM

All I can say is my 1976 kenwood KR-9600 blows away my sony DA5ES for 2-channel with the cornwalls. Not even close. Not even close to close. Go with a good vintage SS that's in good shape and it should last a long time. Another idea would be a McIntosh MC250 but that would need a pre for anything but CDs. Many like its tube-like sound with Klipsch. Ask Jim Tidwell.

I also agree with the HK comments. Before I got my Scott, a mere month or so ago, I bought a 730 from another forum member. It was so much better than my newer sherwood that I couldn't believe it. I hate to say this, but it's almost as good as the scott, not as clear,

but if your into bass this is a great choice.

Having owned both Fortes and Heresys... I'd go with La Scalas.9.gif

All kidding aside, he won't go wrong with any of those speaker choices. If he likes more bass, as I do, he should go with the Fortes. JMO. The Heresys I owned, were the professional version with the hard mesh grills. I don't know if they had different drivers in them than the regular Heresys. The Fortes just seemed to present better. They were Fortes not ForteIIs and were used when I got them. Of course, the Heresys were brand new and I don't think I even broke them totally in before I sold them, but I digress.

Longevity/reliability over performance. hmmmn? What would be more reliable a SS receiver or amp from the 70s or a freshly rebuilt Scott or Eico tube amp rebuilt by Craig? Knowing Craig backs up his work. Your Bro shouldn't discount tubes altogether. What's to say what's more reliable than the next in the used market. I think if it's been well taken care of, it will continue to serve well.

If you insist on reliabilty over performance (or better yet sound quality). Just buy new. Go down to your local BestBuy/Circuit City or whatever's in your local area and buy something with the extended warranty. It would probably sound just fine to him. I use a Yamaha HTR5150 (BB $299 closeout '01) for home theater and parties, sounds fine to about 90% of the population. If he never hears how good those babies will sing with vintage tube action, he'll never know what he's missing. Ignorance is bliss; to coin a phrase. Don't show him this forum however, it will be his downfall (it was mine). Reading about others reaping the benefits of tube sound would just erode at his soul until, he just had to see what all the hubbub is about.

Georg you know what I'm talkin' about here (or you will very soon).2.gif

If he decides performance, or shall I say accuracy, becomes a priority; he should look into tubes.

I don't know what kind of budget he's dealing with, but I'm thinking cheaper the better, right. Don't know what kind of music he likes, but I'll guess he's in his twenties and likes modern rock. (That describes me, anyway) 10.gif As was said earlier the Harman Kardon 430, 630, 730, or 930 are a steal on ebay. I'm waiting to snag a 930 when I see one. I currently own a 630 paid $65 shipped. Sounds wonderful on my La Scalas and can't be beat at that price point. The McIntosh MC-250, (also a SS wonder) can be had for around $350 (give or take a $100). It has a nice warm sound. Listening to Tool's Aenima on it right now through my K-horns nice sound, no doubt. It doesn't however, compare to the warm depth of my Scott 299 rebuilt by NosValves on my La Scalas in my bedroom. (Girlfriend likes it, too. She had me toe-in the LaScalas before I did it to her proper, last night!) haha Is that too much info, guys? It's just soooo much more musical, no harshness, I can listen to it at very high dBs and it's just not fatigueing what-so-ever. I Love It!6.gif That's right, I said it. (I must be drunk or it's 3am or both.)3.gif

I'm looking for another integrated tube amp for my Khorns, myself. If your bro wants a MC250 or HK630 email me or PM here. Somethings gonna have to go. Oh yeah, if he wants to get into lps the Scott can't be beat, or the HK for that matter. I was never into albums a year and a half ago, but my album collection has grown exponentially (like from 0 to 150). People literally just give their albums away. OK I'm just rambling now. Can't wait to read this tomorrow afternoon when I wake up. Now... which one is the drunk icon14.gif. That'll have to do.

have both Forte II and Heresy, if I had to pick only one to live with, it would be the Forte II.

big improvement in sound. more open sounding and has bass.

Its good to hear about others using old HK receivers.

unfortunately, my HK 630 which I purchased new in 1972 died.

currently running Yamaha RXV2095 AV receiver. great for HT.

still like my old Yamaha CR1020 stereo receiver better for 2 channel sound.

Having owned walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossover, classic Klipsch corner Khorns and heard LaScalas¡KI would buy the biggest big ole horns you can º

Johhny dB, I toe-in little miss sensitive ears before I do her too, her feet are 110/w/m ultra-sensitive! Just point her toes right behind your ears!

I too vote for vintage solid-state harmon/kardon receivers or NOSvalves refurbished integrated tube amplifiers with big ole horns. Tubes may have to be replaced regularly, but solid-state parts do too.

2.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Since I myself have a pair of Heresys, I think I might also try your suggestions (including the tube gear). I have located a Scott 340b and a Fisher 400. If I let my brother listen to the tube gear setup, he may convert and so might I. I'm still trying to locate a piece of HK gear that was suggested. Either of us could use the gear so it won't go to waste.

Currently I'm using an ADCOM GFP555 and a Hafler DH500. I am pleased with the setup but am always open to experimentation.

I don't have the calibur of gear that you folks have but eventually I'll move up.

Thanks to all,

A Happy and healthy New Year to all.

p.s. I'll keep looking here so any more input is very welcome!

It's pretty easy to locate that H/K gear. Just be sure not to get confused with H/K's new AVR series of "X30" stuff. Currently on eBay there are the following offerings:

H/K 430 receivers: Ebay item numbers:

3067184519; 3068188746

H/K 730 receivers: Ebay item numbers:

3068834536; 3068255290

OK. It's the auction for a unit here in Spokane. I'm only bidding so much depending on what the auction comes out at, if at all.

So....you know....don't let me stop ya.

I'm afraid if I get a HK-430 and clean it up and listen to it, I'll end up keeping the damn thing and my friend will be SOL!