LaScala/Cornwall

spw1

I've had my Heresy's for over 20 years now and am currently rehabilitating the cabinets so the can sit in my new family room and perform. I will be finishing the basement next (a nice large, albeit sonically bright, area). I will be shopping for either used Cornwalls or LaScalas. I realize this is a subjective question, but what is the sound quality difference between the two. Or is there one. This is tough because I can't just pop into a showroom and preveiw Cornwalls. My freind has LaScala's and they are open and dynamic are the Cornwalls as open and accurate in their sound, will I be able to get away without a sub? The Corwalls seem to have a much lower bass ability, I assume because of porting, do they sacrifice anything because of this?

One way or the other they are both legendary. I must admit one day I am leaning LaScala, the next Cornwall.

It's 100% subjective. I like cornwalls but everyone will have their opinion. You need to hear both with similar gear before making that decision. They're both great and have their own unique sound. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different.

What kind of music do you listen to?

----------------

On 1/2/2004 12:03:49 AM spw1 wrote:

I listen to everything, I love music and I know how instruments are supposed to sound. Jazz, Bluegrass, Classic to Sinatra. It is all about accuracy, depth, dynamics, nuances.

----------------

Same here. What amplification? It's got to be good because either of these speakers will enhance any flaws in the rest of your system as you've probably read here a couple dozen times.

Cornwalls take up less room (not as deep) and IMO are more attractive. There are more alternatives as far as finish goes if that's a factor for you.

I have a new pair of RB-5's that will play my old vinyl with the old Philips 212 and a MacIntosh MA-5100 Integrated Amp., up in the Bedroom. The Heresy's will run off a 5 year old Sony 50ES series receiver, with a KSW-12. Eventually I will add suround and center to the mix. The Cornwalls/LaScala's will get electronics seperates (integrated amp or power/pre seperates)all their own (any suggestions?)as a stereo set up. Some classic old MacIntosh would be nice, the Mac MA-5100 sounds very sweet thru the Heresy's, but I will need more juice.

I have had both speakers here and both sound very good. I prefer the Lascala's for most music but do not get me wrong at reasonable volumes the Cornwall is every bit as good as a Lascala. Once you push things up in SLP the Lascala wins hand down to me. I prefer the tighter more defined bass of the Lascala in most situations it may not go as low but what it does it does with excellent detail. I even prefer its bass to the mighty Khorns for the most part !

I think your choice should depend on many factors with looks and placement being top on the list either speaker will do very well.

Craig

I have both. The differences are definitely there as everyone has described. I have each set up in its own environment for 2 CH listening. The corns are in the great room and the LaScalas in the basement.

My point is that I greatly enjoy both systems and their differences, and give each about equal use.

Pardon my description, but I get "church organ" type bass out of my corns. The LaScalas have a much tighter bass characteristic but very realistic. The other most striking difference is the more powerful mid horn on the Las.

If I want to play it really loud, the LaScala system gets turned on.

Get both if you can. You will keep both.

bought my Heresy's in 1978.

got the upgrade bug.

bought Forte II's in 1996.

now I got the bug again.

looking for LaScala's.

kind of thinking about new but at list price of $4100 (with top grills).

I have not heard LaScala's in over 20 years.

Looking for LaScala's in the Chicago area.

If none for sale, would at least like to listen to some.

Cure my ignorance, an ALK crossover is what, available where, easily done, worth it? Available for Heresy's?

Thanks for the multiple responses!

My wife and I are building a new house ready by spring, she is excited about the house, I am juiced about big rooms and Heresy's. I admit it, I am a Klipsch nut.

For $4100 you should be able to buy at least 2 pairs of LaScalas, and maybe even 1 pair or 2 of corns, plus a six pack and a tank of gas.

The used ones sound exact to the new ones, and go for a song compared to new prices. There are a lot of classic mint pairs out there.

But to each his own.

SPW,

The Cornwalls are a little more room friendly as far as footprint. The La Scalas have a little better base presentation. Both are wonderful!

Do yourself a favor. If you can stand paying some money for shipping, give Triceratops a ring and talk to him about his Walnut Belles that he has for sale in Oregon. They are a great set, and they come close to what the La Scalas will give you, and they also are beautiful and reside in a slightly more traditional footprint in your room.

You can't go wrong with any of these large Heritage. It is just a question of what kind of base you want to have, and how you want the speakers to set up in your listening room. Everyone that visits my sound room loves the way the Khorns sound, but they tell their wives how beautiful the Belles are with their matched veneer1.gif

I've owned both and prefer the Cornwall. The CW with it's deeper bass response has a more natural and more pleasing tonal balance; a much more robust sounding speaker. LSs sound too bass-shy and midrangey. LSs give me "earwire"; an effect like a wire is being twisted in my ear. CWs don't.

LS will play louder than the CW and have less distortion in the lower midrange and bass (what bass they manage to make). But the lousy tonal balance puts the kibosh on them for me.

Ahhh Hell, what's the difference, it's the music that matters. I'm listening to Prison Bound by Social Distortion over my Yamaha computer speakers now and enjoying it greatly. :-)

I know nothing about "Social Distortion" other than that the band's original drummer owns a cool fish fry/beer bar here in Long Beach called "The Pike"--ice cold brews, great fish and chips and a killer INCREDIBLY diverse selection on the jukebox.

And I have owned Belles and Cornwalls and I much prefer the Cornwall.