OT: anyone here into motorcycles (as in, do you ride?)

kenratboy

I began riding motorcycles at 14, over 30 years ago. I don't have the miles Andy and some of the others have, but I've covered a few.

In order to make a realistic recommendation about a beginner bike, we need to know how old and how big you are (O.K. we know you have to be 16-ish).

Generally, I'd say get a 250 street bike. The only 250s built lately are "crusiers". They are sorry beginner bikes because of the poor seating position and ergonomics. I'd look for a used 500cc single like a Honda FT500 or a Yamaha SR 500(?), a 400 cc 4-stroke twin or an older 125 to 250 cc two stroke twin. A Suzuki GT250 would be great! You need something docile and forgiving to begin with. Two years on a 250 and then look at a Suzuki SV650 to take to college.

Avoid all multi-cylinder 600s like the plague! The newest ones top out over 155 mph and would get you killed in the first month. They might get me killed. I'd say you need to ride 5 years and 25,000 miles before buying one of those.

I'm on a Triumph Sprint RS now. It's a great sport-tourer without being high strung. With 120 HP, it is fast below 5000 RPM.

Andy, I've put a mile or 2 on a TwinJet, too!

• 3 years later...
  • Klipsch Employees

I began riding motorcycles at 14, over 30 years ago. I don't have the miles Andy and some of the others have, but I've covered a few.

In order to make a realistic recommendation about a beginner bike, we need to know how old and how big you are (O.K. we know you have to be 16-ish).

Generally, I'd say get a 250 street bike. The only 250s built lately are "crusiers". They are sorry beginner bikes because of the poor seating position and ergonomics. I'd look for a used 500cc single like a Honda FT500 or a Yamaha SR 500(?), a 400 cc 4-stroke twin or an older 125 to 250 cc two stroke twin. A Suzuki GT250 would be great! You need something docile and forgiving to begin with. Two years on a 250 and then look at a Suzuki SV650 to take to college.

Avoid all multi-cylinder 600s like the plague! The newest ones top out over 155 mph and would get you killed in the first month. They might get me killed. I'd say you need to ride 5 years and 25,000 miles before buying one of those.

I'm on a Triumph Sprint RS now. It's a great sport-tourer without being high strung. With 120 HP, it is fast below 5000 RPM.

Andy, I've put a mile or 2 on a TwinJet, too!

John, I just got a Harley Davidson Dyna "Street Bob" 2007, three weeks ago. I was rearended 1 week ago by some lady rubber neck about 1 mile from the house. I did not get hurt, but the fender and tail light could not say the same.

Practice untill you don't have to think about what you're doing before you get out on the open road. Everything needs to be reflexive, you don't have time to think of what controls what when you're in a tight spot. You should never have to look at your controls. Also remember that if your in a turn too hot, slowing decreases your turning radius as well as leaning harder. Watch out for sand!!!

I agree with others on the M.S.F. course. I have been riding since 1976 there are alot of crazies out there. I think Honda 750, or Kawasaki 800 are a decent choice for a first bike. They are plentiful on the used market and not too expensive and you won't have the bug for awhile. I currently ride a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500 and it has been my favorite bike to date that I have owned. Some people really get caught up in the brand of their bike but it's still the same wind. I have enjoyed riding for may years and have been lucky so far but it is a gamble. One other thought is the m.p.g. on a bike is great. My wife enjoys riding so that also helps. Whatever your decision- good luck!

Even though this is an OLD thread, just re-started by Trey, I will add a little

I have a 1100 CC Yamaha but have been off of it for a few years due to some health issues. The comment about PUSHING the handlebar on the side that is the same as the direction you want to go is DEAD ON! It is not what you would think but it is the truth. If you only use your upper body to control the bike, you are just going along for the ride and will not be able to react quickly in the event of an emergency. I have been on dirt bikes since 1973 and street bikes since about 2001.

Watch out for the cages and always assume that everyone is out to kill you, cuz most of them are not paying attention for bikes and WILL KILL YOU just as dead, without intending to.

Road debris is a problem, you can loose traction, at all costs avoid locking up the front brake and the rear also if you can help it. Start slow, stay safe and enjoy!