• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 1/14/2004 10:16:30 PM space_cowboy wrote:

Who needs one,,,,I'm with Doug. A little thing to balance the check book,,,,,,,,,,what the hell are ya'll doing?

----------------

Well, actually, I got one of those too. This little Casio HS-8V pictured below. I only paid about $2 for it and that was some 5 years ago. Handy little thing for balancing the check book or to take shopping if I need to run some numbers (just how much is all that going to cost me once I figure in taxes and such).

As for what I need the fancier TI-68 calculator for? Well, I do alot of base conversions (going from Decimal to Hex to Binary) as well as having to perform math within the Hexadecimal system. A royal pain to do in the head or on paper, especially when dealing with 32-bit values.

casio-HS-8Vcalc.jpg

post-3829-13819251454706_thumb.jpg

"what the hell are ya'll doing?"

"I'm takin' what they're givin' cause I'm workin' for a livin'!"

-H. Lewis

The TI is WAAY faster than a PC for most of my engineering calculations, unless I have to do them over and over. I can calculate runoff for one basin in about the time it takes to get Excel running and the equations written.

It was $225 in 1975. That was almost a week's take home pay when I went to work in 1979.

----------------

On 1/14/2004 11:27:14 PM John Albright wrote:

The TI is WAAY faster than a PC for most of my engineering calculations

----------------

I have to agree with John... a PC's calculators are slow and limited and excel tedious for engineering calculations.

Not everyone has the same need in a calculator... and it is useless to have one which has 20E6 functions that you'll never use. In my case, matrix functions are still useful but I have to admit not using the integration features since university (thank god for that... 2.gif ). PC connectivity is one thing I'd like having as creating a custom program must be so much easier with a real keyboard...

Later...

Rob

PS: thanks for clearing up the Reverse Polish Notation... would have never guessed that's what RPN stood for... 2.gif6.gif

• Klipsch Employees

Some time ago, PWK got a new calculator. In the book that came with it were the instructions not to use the unit in a temp. above "X"deg.'s

Paul was found one day with the heater on in his office and striped down to his boxers testing the function of the calculator at the temp that was stated in the book.

He found how to make the unit work under this temp and sent that info to TI so they could "...get it right next time..."

TI sent him 2 of the updated models....

I must take some issue with mOOn.

I met PWK shortly before he passed away. His faculties were failing. Old fart? No. He'd probably say he was, in the underlying personality, the same in his youth.

Like in many situations, we are only able to appreciate the intellect and wit of geniuses through their writings. I read one of his articles, published in 1957, today. Very forthright, full of first hand experience and . . . charming in its truth.

- - - -

On the original subject. I'm quite convinced that spread sheets are the way to go for calculations.

Gil

To John Albright and formica: my PC running Matlab can perform matrix math a lot faster than my TI-89, maybe that's just me though. Also, regarding PC connectivity, Texas Instruments website has programs/plug-in's available for download and transfer to your calculator...I've done this in the past.

John, are you a C(ivil)E?