She don like them LASCALAS

Hey folks,

I have been very interested in a set of Lascala's lately. Slowly saving my money. The problem is I am married to a wonderful woman who digs audio but doesn't dig Lascalas...yes ....they are just too fugly for her. We do everything together, we share everything, and we're madly in love so.....she's got some input on this no matter how ridiculous I may feel her stance is.

Now, I of course, I think they have stunning appearance and that 104 dB looks so pretty on paper and would be a nice match for my Sherwood S-5000. I may be able to talk her into the LaScalas, who knows....but what are some opinions on the Klipsch Reference series or the Synnergy series. I was eyeing the RF-25 & 35 specs, and also listened to the Synnergy at Best Buy the other day. I am still looking around for a place that has the RF series so I can hear it; maybe New England Hi-Fi?

Aesthetically bound,

DC

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard the Reference horns yet (but others swear by 'em), and even though the Synergy Series are great sounding bang for the buck horns (which I've auditioned and like), they're no match sonically for the La Scalas IMO. Has your other half ever seen the Belle Klipsch? They're just fancy La Scalas in beautiful cabinets (and WAF approved, which is why PWK named them after his first wife). Don't settle for less if your heart's set into Heritage sound...go for the Belles!

I have a set with the Velcro cloth covers over the horns, stained nicely the wife puts up with them because she decorates the tops with a bunch of junk! I lied about their size and wrestled them in the living room while she was at work. Now Im building an addition on the house, a garage with a 32x32 bar/party room above for the stereo. (She will do anything to get them out of the living room!)

Doctor C,

You are thinking right to have consensus with your wife on speaker choices.

One possibility to keep in mind is Heresy. I'm happy as can be with my Khorns, but if I were to move into a place that didn't have the right corners, I'd change to Heresy's and not look back. Those little guys have a fabulous sound. You've heard the old Heritage sales trick. In a listening room packed with Heritage speakers the sales person would (unbeknownst to the customer) switch off the Khorns at the end of a song and play the next one through the Heresy's. The customer is still impressed with the sound thinking it is coming out of the Khorns and really blown away when they realize it is the small Heresy's. I've also had Scalas in my living room and they are hard to decorate around. Khorns actually don't dominate a room in the same way Scalas do. They get snugged up in the corners out of the way. If the Heresy doesn't have enough bass to suit you, your accomodating so nicely the WAF just might earn enough goodwill to get a nice sub. 6.gif

Show her this. La Scalas don't have to look ugly. I believe this is a great compromise. The stain is Minwax Red Mahoghany (over conditioner) protected by sprayed on water-based polyurethane. The front edges are covered with 3/4" x 3/4" solid cherry. The grille is factory Klipsch.

fin_lascala1.jpg

DOC ....I know your in love & all that sort of crap. But the world is full of compromises. Get the La Scalas & let her keep the motor cycle. Or better yet get the BELL. I havent met anyone that doesnt like the looks or sound.

Ok take her out get her really liquored up and get her to do something really embarrassing, hold that over her head and then you are set to make the purchase for the La Scala's (LOL). Even the RF 7, the reference flagship, can't look the La Scala's in the eye. There is absolutely no sonic comparison between the other Klipsch lines and the Heritage line. Don't get me wrong the Reference speakers are a very impressive sounding line of speakers, but the Heritage line is the crown jewel of the Klipsch family of speakers. You may want to wean her on something like the Heresys first, it will take longer to get your La Scalas but you would have your foot in the door. Another option is the Belle Klipsch but it cost significantly more. You should be able to pick up a set of La Scalas for about a grand give or take a couple hundred on line. You could also consider refinishing them when you get them. There is definitely a reason people hold onto their Heritage stuff for life. Once you hit the La Scala level there is only one step up left, the Klipschorns. Anyway good luck.

Both J.4Knee and garymd have stated that RF can't begin to compare to heritage. Would either, or both, of you like to elaborate on that? What speakers did you compare? What were your impressions? As a lover of heritage Cornwall's, I would like to hear how they compare to newer RF's by those that have compared... thanks

Brad