Happy St Patrick's - Car "Incident" this morning :-(

Thors1982

I am ok.... just so you know

This thread is primarily for me to B**** so... feel free to not read :-)

I got up this morning started driving to school. Some big rock (about a foot long) fell from a big truck (kinda like a dump truck). Bounced up and right into my windshield/frame, bounced up and into the back of my car. Again I am ok... thankfully. I am lucky I have a good feeling that rock wouldn't have stopped if it hit all windshield and not part of my frame. The truck of course didn't stop, so teh damages are on me. I called a cop and got a police incident report so hopefully the insurance will cover it all. I am mainly just worried that they are going to replace the windshield and tell me I have to live with the dent in the back of my car.

I am only 21... first car accident/incident/problem whatever... so I have no freaking clue what is going to happen. My luck the insurance will go up too, even though I did nothing wrong :-(

All, because this guy didn't stop or see me or whatever reason.... :-(

I guess I shouldn't be upset I am not hurt afterall

Anyways.... I hope everyone has a good St Patricks day... If you are going out drinking. Be careful grab a DD and drink one for me :-) I am not going out tonight.

Oh man, I feel you. That's some bullsh*t alright. I'm assuming the guy in the truck pulled over as well and you exchanged information right? Then for sure his company will pay for all damages incurred. Crappy thing is even if it's fixed as good as new, the value of your truck decreases because of damages.

Wow, at 21 and this is your first accident? At that age (2 years ago), I think I racked up about 2 speeding tickets and 1 accident.

The guy in the truck didn't stop or pull over. So no I don't have his information. He just kept driving. I didn't get a liscense plate or anyting because I was shielding my eyes from the glass flying into my car :-( Luckily I plan on keeping my Jeep for a long time so value isn't that important to me. I will probably keep it till it has over 150k miles and by then the value will be like $100 anyways lol

My first accident... I have absolutely 0 tickets not even a warning... closest I got to a ticket is a parking ticket from Virgina Tech(on my 20th birthday too).

I don't think holidays/birthdays is my day to drive :-)

----------------

On 3/17/2004 12:26:38 PM m00n wrote:

6.gif

----------------

What are you thinking of? 11.gif

-----------------

Aww..... didn't hear any good things except "Happy St Patrick's Day" from every body.......

At least you didn't get hurt, otherwise it will be nuch worse crash

I live in a town where quarrys are the main business. Every one of my cars except one have had to have the windows replaced from rocks falling out of dump trucks.

The drivers have no idea when in happens, so they never stop

What you have to do is get the license plate of the truck and call the police. The trucking company has to pay for your window.

I always laugh at the trucks who have the note on the back of there truck that they are not responsible for items that fall out of there trucks... Yes they are period.

JM

Don't you just love the little signs on the back of dump trucks that say "Not responible for items or debris coming from road". I've seen rock and dirt clods come from between the dual rear tires and you know they got there while at the quarry or at the job site. Somehow they feel like that little sign gives them an excuse to leave rocks and debris on their frames, beds, and around the ledges outside the dump bed. In NC they can get ticketed for leaving gravel piled along the outside edges of their dump beds. I try to never drive behind a dump truck period. I'll either slow down or speed up and go aound them. I've lost too many windshields to these people.

Grateful

It depends on the laws in your state and your insurance coverage. The trucking company can deny the incident and say it came from outer space unless there are witnesses. That's just for pebbles causing cracks though. You have a much worse situation. It shouldn't go against you as far as insurance. Wasn't your fault and it's your first incident. Like hitting a deer. Good luck.

I got a speeding ticket because of a gravel truck spewing stones when I was a teenager. That was when radar was new and the State Police used tripods on the side of the road. The darned truck was doing twenty in a thirty five zone and stones were bouncing about everywhere. So I laid back a bit and passed him. At least the trooper reduced the speed from 105MPH to 60 because "he felt my pain".

Rick

Too many consumers allow themselves to get screwed over by accepting the "Truth" of signs they see posted at parking lots or on the back ends of trucks.

You've seen them:

Not responsible for damage or Loss etc.

We are asssessing a penalty of $69.00 for your Illegal use of our property in that you have not purchased a parking permit ( check box )

Your permit has expired ( check box )

Our informants have proof positive that your mother is an illegal imigrant from Zarga ( 38 miles NW of the Milky Way) and therefore your credit rating is in peril unless you pay whatever we demand - ( Can YOU spell Homeless Shelter Dip*faeces ?? ) ( check box ).

The mere fact that a company publishes a disclamer by way of a sign at a property or on a vehicle is not the final legal word.In fact that disclaimer is often the best clue available to the consumer that those folks ARE LIABLE.

If common sense dictates that a company/individual/agency should have some responsibility regarding a damage to you or your property there is a good chance that that company/individual/agency may well be liable regardless of any signage.

A sign hanging from the back of my car saying " Warning ! I am Heavily Armed and Stupid ! " - Does not grant me immunity from prosecution for proving the truth of my bumper sticker.

sheesh, glad your'e ok. By the time I was 21 I believe I had a couple of accidents, and plenty speeding tickets, and I believe by the time I was done around 1991/92 I racked up about 28 points on my record! Never give a person under/around 21 a camaro LOL... restricted license, suspended license, you name it. Needless to say I then picked up mountainbiking and that became my transportation 9.gif

BTW, I'm points free now.

flintstones.gif

Well, they'll stone you when you're at the breakfast table

They'll stone you when you are young and able

They'll stone you when you're riding in your car

And they'll stone you when you're playing your guitar

But I would not feel so all alone

Everybody must get stoned.

Bob Dylan: Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

I used to park my Eagle Talon downtown (Cincinnati) at a garage that would park the car for you. The parking was on different floors and the customers were not allowed to do it themselves. After about six months I found a couple scratches in places that would only point to the garage doing it. I knew this car better than anything else in the world.

On the day after I found the damage, Saturday, I drove to the garage to report the damage. When I was there they ignored me. Didn't even deny the charge but flat ignored me. By this time I'm pretty ticked and I went home to compose a letter with a little fire in it. I told them that, yes, I saw the signs that say they don't have insurance for missing items left in the car or damage caused while it was there but it DOES NOT absolve them of responsibility. I took pictures and included them in the letter. I work for a legal firm so I got hold of some Exhibit stickers and put them on the pictures marking them as "Exhibit 1", "Exhibit 2" etc. In the pictures I used a $100 bill next to one of the scratches to show size reference. I also sent the letter via certified mail with a return signature receipt so they can't deny ever getting the letter, which I pointed out, in the letter.

They paid for all the damages and asked me to park somewhere else. No problem, I take the bus now and save about $3,000 a year from parking, gas, insurance, oil changes and tire wear.

Yea, mess with me4.gif.

Thors1982:

I'm glad you are okay, dude. You can always replace a windshield, but not your bod. I'm glad luck was on your side. Things could have been a lot worse! 14.gif Hang in there!

Best wishes, -Picky 2.gif

--------------------------------------------------------

On 3/17/2004 4:00:07 PM j-malotky wrote:

I live in a town where quarrys are the main business. Every one of my cars except one have had to have the windows replaced from rocks falling out of dump trucks.

The drivers have no idea when in happens, so they never stop.

---------------------------------------------------------

Since our house is only about 5 miles from JM, we experience some level of dump truck invasion as well. Especially with all the dang building that's going on. I'll add that, most (not all) drivers are not only ignorant of what bounces or blows from their trucks, they couldn't care less. A couple years ago a friend's wife was run off the road by one of these jerks. They were building a sub division up the road from them and the big tri-axle dumpers were running steady for a few months. This is a two lane and narrow country road with a 45 mph speed limit. Over a period of two months, the County Mounties clocked a half dozen of the inconsiderate AHs doing 60 mph plus. Pretty intimidating if you've ever experienced it. I'm still amazed that nobody was killed. Any insurance guy will tell you that "gravel haulers" are high risk and pay heavy premiums. You would think they would learn. Glad you're ok - Insurance should take care of it and congrats on the good driving record.

3 Things of advice...

1) Your OK and safe...

2) As your young, and older folks too... Get a high deductable..Like 1k or so. You can handle the smaller things in life, this included. By doing so, your premiums will be lower and your really protected more in terms of major problems.

3) Get the origional glass made for your car. Cheaper glass may be cheaper...but it could have bad consequences in a simular situation or just be off just a tad in the fit too. (Think leaks or whistles, pits easier, etc., etc.)