La Scala Projects Progress

greg928gts

Erik, I found a 1/2" shank router bit that will do a 5/8" rabbet. The difficult part was reworking the corners to the smaller diameter of the horns. Also, the horns are not perfectly formed, so I had to use filler in a few places to fill voids and reshape the opening to fit tighter. It's definately been a lot more work than I thought. Probably not worth it. I bet I'll have an extra 25 man-hours in on them just because I wanted the horns mounted in the front.

Greg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

You are a gifted and talented man. Your work looks beautiful. When I build my La Scala Center I am going to steal your idea for the bracing and grill in the bass bin. I am going to end up re-finishing 3 La Scalas and I may well brace all three bass bins but will probably only put grills on the one I spilt. Again exceptional work. Thanks for sharing your progress.

Okay, the big question. Are you selling them? Are they sold? How much you asking? And the big big question is, how did you tell yourself you could do this? I would like to think that with the space and time I might could do the same and have a GREAT LOOKING pair of speakers. There is a pair on ebay right now that will probably go pretty low. AHHHHH, I can tear stuff up but I think I would screw it up. Great looking speakers.

The 4 Oak ones are sold. At least I've received a non-refundable deposit of $500 on them, so I assume the buyer will come through with the rest before I send them out.

The Rosewood ones are not sold, but I do have two interested parties who have first and second dibs on them. I think they're waiting to see how wacked out I make them! They certainly will be different.

I think anyone with a decent shop space and a few woodworking skills can tackle a job like this. It's time consuming, I have 118 hours in on just the 4 Oak ones to date. I'm almost done, staining right now with final assembly, urethane finish, testing, crating, and shipping left to do. It's been more of a project than I expected.

Testing's going to be fun! I'm considering setting up all 6 in the shop. I have three 200 wpc Mac's that would make for some pretty intense volume! Maybe I could get a couple of MWM's going too, just to fill in the bottom a little. 1.gif

Greg

Greg,

I'll be in the market for lascalas within the next 6 months so please keep me in mind in the near future. No zebrawood this time!2.gif As Andy stated, they can be a little on the loud side for speakers that size. I'll be eagerly awaiting the final pics of the rosewood pairs. Maybe cherry or mahogany, not sure. I'll have to check out that veneer site for some selections.

I assume shipping the cabinets seperately would work out pretty well and save some money.

A few new pictures are up.

Custom La Scalas

I'm always keeping my eyes and ears open for old Klipsch speakers that need help. If I find another pair of La Scalas I'll let you know Gary.

Let me just say that there's an open invitation to any of the forum memebers to come up to my place anytime you wish to check out Khorns with SET, Cornwalls with Scott, Electrostatics with Moscode, Several McIntosh pieces, or even a sextet of La Scalas with MWM subs!

Rick, if you're serious and would like to come up, I'll let you know when I'm going to set them up. I don't think I'll do all 6. But the 4 oak ones with a pair of MWM's ought to part your hair without too much effort!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Greg

Really nice work greg... I had seen pictures of Gary's Heresys you did but these Lascalas are incredible transformations. Obviously nothing like that comes easy but you've got a ton of hours into them!

And I thought refinishing my heresy took forever... but seen these, I regret passing up one a set of beat up industrial LaScalas myself. 8.gif

Keep up the good work...

Rob

Very nice work Greg! On the Oak La Scala's I don't think the standard La Scala grill from Klipsch is going to fit due to the trim piece above the tweeter unless you are going to fabricate your own, I just thought I would mention this to you. It just looks that way in the photo. Stunning looking though love the grain!

Those Rosewood Scala's are looking nice, want to do a partial trade on them for a pair of rare '62 WO Vertical Cornwalls?

WOW!.....I though Andy was the only one that could turn an ugly duckling LaScala into a beautiful swan.

Excellent work, very very nice. Like garymd, I too am in the market for some Scala's. How much $$$$$.

Rick, I would love to attend a get-together, but I don't have time to arrange it. I'm not very centrally located for New England either, I'm in central Maine, 2 hours North of Portsmouth N.H., 3 hours North of Boston, and 8 hours North of NYC.

Thanks Rob.

Frz, I'm making custom grilles for all the La Scalas. It is going to be tricky above the tweeter in that little space. Thanks for the offer on the verts, but I need the cash!

Gilbert, the Rosewood La Scalas are going to be $3500. I won't be making as much as I should considering the hours it'll take, but most of the extra is just me playing around. I figure I'll have about 120 hours in those when I'm done, plus $600 in materials.

Refinishing a pair like the oak ones would take about 75 hours of labor plus $300 - $500 in materials. So, if someone paid for the shipping both ways, I'd do my work on a pair of La Scalas for right around $2500.

Greg

Greg,

After seeing your grillwork I may well steal your idea entirely when I do my three La Scala's. Your work is exceptional, I mean those look fantastic. WOW I have always liked the look of the La Scala but what you have done those four that you Oak Veneered WOW.