Music you just don't "get"

gtDark

----------------

On 4/2/2004 10:43:07 PM Cleve wrote:

Well, I made a rather unenlightened purchase of Coltrane's album 'Ascension' - I didn't realize it was his 'transition' album to more 'modern' Jazz. I must be getting old, but to my ears it's the most unmelodic cacophony of various random horns I've ever heard. I bought the album two weeks ago, and I don't think I've listened to more than 10 minutes of it.

Yet, since my purchase I've read glowing reviews of this album. Only a small minority, like yours truly, seem to dislike this work. I just don't 'get' it yet.

----------------

Cleve,

I LOVE Coltrane's music but cannot listen to Ascension either. Allan Songer talked me into buying it. I guess I'm not quite ready for that yet. Not sure I'll ever be. Buy Giant Steps or Blue Train. No-brainers.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 4/3/2004 12:34:58 AM garymd wrote:

Cleve,

I LOVE Coltrane's music but cannot listen to Ascension either. Allan Songer talked me into buying it. I guess I'm not quite ready for that yet. Not sure I'll ever be. Buy Giant Steps or Blue Train. No-brainers.

----------------

Thanks for the tip, Gary. I'll look for those Coltrane albums the next time I'm shopping for music. My mistake was, not noting the album name associated with the Coltrane songs I heard on Music Choice.

On a positive note, I bought Bill Evans' 'You Must Believe in Spring' two days ago! Now THAT I 'got' right away!

1.gif

Music I dont get

Classic jazz, cause it is a unmelodic cacophony of various random horns Coltrane leaves me cold.

Opera, cause it aint English

Bluegrass picking, cause it just sounds so stupid

Rap, cause there is no original rhythm and only gibberish jargon

Love Dylan lyrics, but saw him in concert and cant figure out how he ever became famous, worst public singer I ever heard!

Love the Doors classic rock hits. Waiting for the Sun was one of the first albums I had. Made me think about the poetry of lyrics. Led me to Simon & Garfunkel gentle folk.

I do like the smooth jazz, but then I dont do a lot of mid-day dancing to rock and roll anymore. Used to get up and dance to loud music, but then was before I was married. Now use music to relax more than anything else.

Woodog, Dissent IS the highest form of patriotism (Thomas Jefferson). There is no democracy without dissent.

Starting new thread: here is an album you can have for free cause I cant give it away and I want it to go to a good home

EMINEM

He lives nearby yet I don't understand the level of his popularity. ie.: "I don't get it." (as the thread asks)

But, I do not knock those who do appreciate his work. I enjoy all forms of music (always have) and an enormous wealth of artists. I just like some artists more than others, and some, like Eminem, I just don't get. Music is both subjective and personal. I wish Sir Mix-A-Lot would make a comeback. Now, that guy was funny! 9.gif One group that I absolutely love is ZZ Top. Now that's one group that 2/3rd of this country doesn't get! 10.gif And, that's okay.

-Picky 2.gif "Beer Drinkers, Hell-Raisers & Fuzzy Guitars, forever!"

fuzzy.gif

----------------

On 4/2/2004 10:40:50 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

Paul's next release, self titled Paul Simon, started to get away from the 60's long-haired era and concentrated on mid-life issues, playin' one-on-one basketball with a friend and his relationship with his father. There Goes Rymin' Simon got into less decadent and prim & proper subjects like those from the Bookends era. It spoke a lot of mass housing in New York, having children, loving your spouse and appreciating nature around you. With Bookends you could almost picture yourself on a train in some foreign country.

----------------

One of my favorite cd's to listen to on a long driving trip is Paul Simon's Graceland. Maybe that's because my mom always used to play it to me and my sister when we were little kids taking long car trips across the Heartland 4.gif. Maybe I'll give some of his other albums a listen.

I don't get Springsteen either. Like others have mentioned, maybe you have to have lived during that time to "get" it.

One group that I absolutely love is ZZ Top. Now that's one group that 2/3rd of this country doesn't get! "<ahttp://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/10.gif"> And, that's okay.

-Picky "<ahttp://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">

----------------

I get it. Down right rude crude and bad attitude dude. I love ZZ fuzzy guitars and mad riffin blues

"I get it. Down right rude crude and bad attitude dude. I love ZZ fuzzy guitars and mad riffin blues"......

.....and Billy Gibbons' unique riffs. Try "Manic Mechanic" on for size. I'm still trying to figure out where he got that lick from.

On the Grateful Dead: Unfortunately, one cannot experience the ultimate test of "do I, or can I, enjoy the Grateful Dead" - because Jerry is no longer with us. The remaining members do play together some, in various configurations, but it's not Jerry. While the post-Jerry Dead efforts are quite worthwhile, it's hard to replace someone of that level of importance to a band.

I have always felt that the Dead was one of those bands that you MUST see live, in order to form a proper opinion. The Dead was not for everybody - but too many discounted them because they didn't "get it" prior to attending thier first performance, so they didn't bother attending. Big Mistake.

They are an acquired taste - as Bill Graham once opined, "Like licorice. Not everyone likes licorice, but those who like licorice, really like licorice". It takes a bit of getting used to. If one ever got talked into tagging along to a gig with one of their buddies, it was very possible that a lifelong addiction could result - and not to any particular substances. Once the music of the Grateful Dead clicks in your mind - akin to Chief Brody's "Hey......I got it!" epiphany in Jaws - it causes one to get in the car and start driving across the country. Geography through rock and roll9.gif

Some musicians are most at home in the studio - the Dead were, without a doubt, a live band. No commercial medium could contain them or present an accurate picture - you had to go see for yourself.

And when it comes to influence - that's where the Grateful Dead left their true legacy. The freeform flow of musical ideas happens nationwide - and becoming worldwide - through the bands discussed on these sites:

www.jambands.com

www.jambase.com

www.phishhook.com

www.etree.org

www.bonnaroo.com

and that's the tip of the iceberg.

Bands/music that I don't get:

I'm with those who mention Opera - and I've tried this. My problem is one must know too much prior to the performance - and they are rarely in English. Newbies to this genre need a primer prior to attending. One cannot just go and get any meaningful benefits from it - somewhat like getting a 50% on your Calculus test. I may know enough to get 50%, but the bottom line is that I'm still clueless.

Put it in a format like The Who's "Tommy", and that's a language I can understand.

In general, I've tried just about - and have some appreciation for - just about everything. I've been exposed to a great deal, but improvisational rock and roll seems to be what sticks.

----------------

On 4/3/2004 3:56:14 PM gtDark wrote:

----------------

I don't get Springsteen either.

----------------

I'm with ya there. I can't even understand what he' singing, meaning it's unintelligable.

Elton John is kinda the same way. I love most of his stuff but depending on if he and Bernie are an item or not, you can or can't tell what the lyrics are.

It is pretty much pointless to discuss muscic you don't "get." I'm in agreement that I don't get some of the recent stuff.

I do think that favorable music has some good affect on our brain and that listening to music is a good thing.

Find something you like, play it often. Relish in the enjoyment. It ain't a popularity contest.

Gil

----------------

On 4/4/2004 8:27:44 PM cluless wrote:

Oh. Yeah..I forgot, The Flaming Lips.

----------------

(Looking at my icon) Grrrr..

Kid A and OK Computer are great albums in my opinion. Don't care too much for Hail to the Thief though.

----------------

On 4/4/2004 9:40:26 PM gtDark wrote:

----------------

On 4/4/2004 8:27:44 PM cluless wrote:

Oh. Yeah..I forgot, The Flaming Lips.

----------------

(Looking at my icon) Grrrr..

Kid A and OK Computer are great albums in my opinion. Don't care too much for Hail to the Thief though.

----------------

Ever listen to the earlier stuff - The Bends was one of the best albums of the last 25 years, IMO.