Music you just don't "get"

gtDark

Big names that I never cared much for:

Bruce Springsteen

The Beach Boys

Elvis - his movies were good!

Pretty much anything I've seen on Leno or Letterman during the past 3 - 4 years.

Any music that does not feature a human drummer on a real set of drums!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 4/4/2004 8:27:44 PM cluless wrote:

Radiohead

A Perfect Cirle.

Two bands that fall into the realm of the music that I listen to...but fall flat.

Oh. Yeah..I forgot, The Flaming Lips.

----------------

WARNING! Over exposure to Radiohead may cause side effects.

robot headphones.gif

----------------

On 4/5/2004 12:43:19 AM Griffinator wrote:

Ever listen to the earlier stuff -
The Bends
was one of the best albums of the last 25 years, IMO.

----------------

Yeah I have it. I like that album, but definitely not their current sound. I've heard Thom Yorke despises that cd looking back on it, like a bastard child or something.

Whenever I go to an Irish-style pub and hear Celtic music, people are going crazy -- they love it and it's weird b/c they really seem to be in a sort of trance, smiling and wide-eyed, tapping their feet. I don't get it. I find Celtic music annoying (to put it as charitably as I can).

In Celtic music, the singer always has a high nasal voice and sings something like "Down round the shipping yard, the lass did look upon me, I cast her a stare, raised me mug, and sailed off to sea."

But don't say this stuff out loud in the pub b/c people stare at you like you've lost your mind. I'm sorry, but I lump Celtic music in w/ country western music.

And I lump accordians in w/ bag pipes -- both should have been relegated to a museum of medieval musical instruments.

I know this probably offended a lot of people (especially the Irish), but I just can't come to admire Celtic music.

Music I don't "get" when everyone else does get it. If I had to choose one person it would be Prince (or the symbol). I have heard genius bestowed upon him sooooo many times. I'll agree that he can play guitar pretty well, but I have never been able to figure out why there is such a deep following for his music.

If I were to choose one style of music I don't get it would have to be, fusion/free jazz. I have a hard time making sense out of every person in the band playing their own song...all at the same time.

Jabez Scratch,

Yup, I love most celtic music, but authentic ones are a bit more pleasant to listen to.

Accordian music is all over the world. German polkas and Irish squeeze box music. Tejano music of the southwest, and some others in Mexico that were adapted from German waltzes from a long time ago.

One of the most fun weddings receptions I ever went to had a band with three members. An accordian player, and guitarist and a drummer. They rocked all night long, and everybody danced.

Marvel

----------------

On 4/5/2004 9:58:19 AM gtDark wrote:

----------------

On 4/5/2004 12:43:19 AM Griffinator wrote:

Ever listen to the earlier stuff -
The Bends
was one of the best albums of the last 25 years, IMO.

----------------

Yeah I have it. I like that album, but definitely not their current sound. I've heard Thom Yorke despises that cd looking back on it, like a bastard child or something.

----------------

Actually, the way I understand it, it was Pablo Honey, their debut, that he despises so much. Who knows? He's become an eccentric and an art snob in the last 10 years, although they've made some great music along that road.

----------------

Actually, the way I understand it, it was
Pablo Honey
, their debut, that he despises so much. Who knows? He's become an eccentric and an art snob in the last 10 years, although they've made some great music along that road.

----------------

Yeah you're right Griff. I don't know what I was thinking yesterday.

I think you mean Pablo Honey. That was the CD Creep was on. The Bends, while less experimental than recent works, is definately signature Radiohead. I Wish I was Bulletproof, My Iron Lung and Street Spirit (Fade Out) are three of my all time favorite Radiohead sonds.

----------------

----------------

On 4/6/2004 1:44:29 PM dgb wrote:

I think you mean Pablo Honey. That was the CD Creep was on. The Bends, while less experimental than recent works, is definately signature Radiohead. I Wish I was Bulletproof, My Iron Lung and Street Spirit (Fade Out) are three of my all time favorite Radiohead sonds.

-----------------

Exactly. Thom Yorke once said about "Creep" that:

"All I'm going to say is that it paid for my house."

Iron Lung and Street Spirit are two of my faves as well. I don't think there's a song on that album that I don't like, really. It's just such a powerful record, from beginning to end.

The reason you "don't get it" is because most of you don't have any formal music training, you listen to all the BS on the radio or your musical "ceedees" and think you know it all. Unless you have have any experience with piano or an instrument or band or orchestra, you really have no idea what you are talking about. I also don't really care for some of what ya'll are bashing, but it does have a beat, maybe not your beat.

Beat me Daddy Eight to the Bar.

Space out.

----------------

On 4/6/2004 11:49:48 PM space_cowboy wrote:

The reason you "don't get it" is because most of you don't have any formal music training, you listen to all the BS on the radio or your musical "ceedees" and think you know it all. Unless you have have any experience with piano or an instrument or band or orchestra, you really have no idea what you are talking about. I also don't really care for some of what ya'll are bashing, but it does have a beat, maybe not your beat.

Space out.

----------------

Whoa, slow down there buddy.

First off, I have a hell of a lot of musical training. Been playing piano for 26 years, guitar for 13, bass for 11. Extensive music theory training - studied college-level theory in my spare time my senior year of high school. Don't make assumptions, bro.

Secondly, there's a lot of the stuff that's been mentioned that you, as a literate musician, should recognize as being simpleton garbage with no depth, no complexity, and no ingenuity. It's not about "your beat" it's about rehashed garbage that's as transparent as a cube of lemon Jell-O.

The worst type of music any human can "compose" is COUNTRY...it gets on my nerves so bad I get muscle spasms and start to growl!

COUTRY can only be enjoyed if a babe with unnatural large gifts "sings" with volume on MUTE

In position number two we have...drumroll please...

Anything that is manufactured POP,just played over and over on local airwaves in north america.No talent,remove the looks and what have you got? NOT MUCH

People like what they like. I don't think formal music training has much to do with it. Just because I can understand why a piece of music was written the way it was, doesn't necessarily mean I'll like it. "Art people" think I'm a cretin because I think Jackson Pollock was a spastic orangutan who managed to hoist a magnificent scam onto a bunch of beatniks. :) It may be shallow, but I like Rembrandts and Monets. I can look at them all day long, but I won't give Warhol or Pollock more than a passing glance, usually in revulsion or at least, befuddlement.

Same with sports. I can watch baseball all day, any team, doesn't matter, because I love the strategies and intracacies of the game. I love to watch the pitcher and hitter battle for the advantage, I love the amazing effortlessness defenders put forth to field balls that even "good" players would muff. I know most people can't stand to watch a baseball game they have no interest it, I understand, and I'm not going to call them names or think them lesser people because of it.

----------------

On 4/6/2004 11:49:48 PM space_cowboy wrote:

Space out.

----------------