F$%KING Snipers!!

gullahisland

gullahisland,

Yes, I veneered them myself and I am not a woodworker by any means. I studied the web for weeks learning as much as I could. Then I started on a scrap piece of plywood, a small set of KG-1.1s, my SW-15 sub-woofer, then the K-horns.

Since then I have done a couple of other projects including lastly my Heresys.

The only thing I would have done differently would be to completely dissasemble the tops to make it easier on me.

From reading many posts here-abouts, the K-horns built from '73 to about '80 were built the best by the most experienced builders and the best baltic birch. (According to Andy HDBRbuilder) The alnico drivers seem to be the most desirous and the Type AA the epitome of the stock Klipsch networks until the last two years and the AK-4 and it's associated new drivers.

Rick

post-12829-13819253927268_thumb.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick. Those are BEAUTIFUL!!

That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Love the contrast between the dark wood and the cane grills.

Maybe my new friend Jordan (JorJen) would be willing to lend a hand with the laminating??

I keep hearing that it's surprisingly easy to do. I would just really hate to screw them up!!

Here is a view from my computer chair of the Khorn and Heresy:

khorn41404.jpg

Rick

Edit: If you want to know the real secret to the great sound of my system, no it's not the Klipschorns, the Blueberry pre-amp, the Wright Mono 10s, the cable, wire or anything like that. Look closely in the picture. Just above the corner of the blue dogs bed sited upon brick hearth is the magic! A thirty pound block of pure wood aged several million years under perfect conditions until it turned to stone! Without one of those you are all doomed to buying and selling all kinds of audio equipment in the never ending search for perfection.2.gif

post-12829-13819253928268_thumb.jpg

Gullah (and others,) now you can see why I think the cats' paws of cane grills. Most people react to a color contrast by looking instinctively at the darker tone first, so with well veneered speakers like this you will immediately pick up the wood pattern and flecking. The dark ebon grilles on the Heresys have a tendancy to swallow the wood colour, I think.

These are both great examples of amateur veneer jobs that look totally professional13.gif13.gif9.gif

Before I "knew better", I would have thought that even $1,250 is a lot of money for some big ugly speakers.

Lately it seems that the secondary market is so hot for the big K's that $1,250 is maybe not a steal, but a relative "bargain" nonetheless.

You guys know better than I. Did I get a good deal? How much do you think I'll need to invest in the materials to veneer them? I've seen some of the places online that sell wood veneer. Is that what you folks do, or do you buy from a lumber yard? Any suggestions on some resources to learn about the process and what's involved?

Thanks. As you can probably tell...I'm pretty excited.5.gif

gullahisland, GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm happy for you!

I buy all my veneer on ebay. Make sure you get at least twice the amount you need to allow for errors and practice. I have used gel contact cement with very good results. I tried Greggs method but the raw veneer curled and cracked too much for my liking. When you are ready I'll send you some pictures of how I did it if you want.

In the meantime, ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif

Rick

Dan,

Earlier today, Mark Deneen replied to me:

"My box guy is in San Jose and he reports the selection of exotics at Southern Lumber on Monterey as being quite good."

Are you familiar with this yard? It's nice to be able to see the material before you buy (and have someplace to pick up more in case of the rare screw-up2.gif ).

Otherwise, the place I mentioned up this way (Mount Storm Forest Products, in Windsor) has a good selection.

Great deal, dude!!

Thanks guys. I'm so stinkin' excited. My wife mentioned again yesterday (totally out of the blue and unsolicited) how great it would be to find a pair of "those corner speakers".

She said; "I just really like the way they sound." She then went on to talk about how she has learned how to listen during the past 7 years (that's how long we've been married). Mind you, I've had no less than 20 pair of speakers during that time and there are three pairs that stood out to both of us as being our favorites - with the other two being a distant 2nd and 3rd to the Klipsch. As a curiosity they are: Magnepan 1.6QR and Platinum Audio Solos. (Interesting to note that they're all very different. Planar, dynamic and, of course, horn.)

fini - I am VERY familiar with Southern Lumber. It's right down on Monterey Road near SJSU Spartan Stadium. I always thought that they were quite pricey, but there's no question that they are one of the premier lumber yards in the area.

Are you guys referring to paper-backed veneer or raw wood? I've heard that the raw wood is best left to the experienced woodworker.

Rick - Pictures of your project would be a great help. I'll shoot you a message when the time comes. (My guess is that I'm gonna' want to do it relatively soon).3.gif

Dan,

Way to go mi amigo! Khorns for you. HELLLL yes I will lend you a hand with them. What are you planning/what are your thoughts at this point? What is your timeline, etc.?

I just started restoring my '67 Laquered Walnut Khorns this week(post Cornwall project withdrawal, had to do something2.gif). Will not have to veneer them though, just sand(they have some scratches)and reshoot a few coats, repaint the backs, etc. I just finished sanding, washing and repainting the squawker horns and making new motorboards with T nuts instead of just screws. When I get up from here I am going out to start sanding the cabinets.

Lemme know Dan!