Marantz??

TommyC

Marantz made some of the best equipment ever in the tube era. Not surprisingly, the few pieces that turn up today tend to be pricey. Some of their early solid-state gear have their adherents, as well - Jim Bongiorno (of SAE and Ampzilla fame) claims the 15 has one of the best circuits of any transistor amp.

Marantz becomes a decidedly mixed bag after that. As a rule the "22" series of receivers (2270, 2215, 2245 etc.) are well thought of, although they do have problems with dial lamps and switches failing. The 18 and 19 receivers had good sound (the 19 was priced at a still breathtaking $1200 in the middle seventies) but can break down and repairs are costly. The 33 and 3300 preamps are still top performers, and the 'scope tuners are sought after as well. The power amps from this period are ok, but not anything really special.

Things seem to slide downhill a bit in the eighties, with, except for a few "statement" products, Marantz made a lot of "me too" receivers, cds, and tape players. This is also when you began to hear "Take a chance, buy a Marantz." from repair techs.

More recently, there appears to be an attempt to redeem the Marantz name, with good value cd players and some horrendously expensive electronics.

I hope this gives you an idea of what to look for. I'm sure there are others who will want to "chime in" with their own experiences.9.gif

The Marantz 2230 receiver has a very warm "tube sounding" amp in it and to me is the best Marantz gear (except their tube stuff) for Klipsch speakers. Not only that, it has those cool blue dial lights, meters, etc. With the optional real wood cabinet for it, it is (in my opinion) one of the best looking (and working) pieces of vintage gear ever made, especially for the price. Even though the 2270, 2285, etc were the bigger, more expensive brothers, the 2230 was the better sounding unit, especially with horns which didn't require the increased the power of the bigger units. I still have one for an auxillary system (currently hooked up to a pair of Chorus IIs) and the sounds is fluid and effortless. You really don't have to spend a ton to get really really nice sound. There are some excellent vintage units out there for pennies on the dollar, considering their worth. I can try to post pics later if anyone is interested....

Regards,

Dave

----------------

On 5/21/2004 2:04:41 PM TommyC wrote:

Hey guys. Any oppinions on Marantz gear? I have been hitting the Pawn Shop / Goodwill / Salvation Army circuit just looking around and I see more Marantz than anything. Pros? Cons? Models to look for or look Out for?

----------------

I really like the old Marantz tube amps, but that was because ole Saul B. designed em well and insisted on strict quality control! Sometime around 1970 Saul left the company (actually he was more or less forced out a few years after he lost control of it) that he started and went elsewhere for a time...continuing to do his design and R&D thing. For maybe a couple of years after he left the company the quality control remained relatively decent, but after that it went into a steep downhill slide for a few years...through the mid-70's and beyond. As for performance of the Solid State Marantz stuff, I heard it all in the early to mid-70's and could have afforded anything I heard...and made my choice...it wasn't Marantz...it was H/K!...hands down! And, even today...33 years later, I am still using that H/K and have never regretted the purchase for a second! That poor piece of equipment has endured situations that would make many of you folks cringe in pain if I told you about them, but it still performs great and sounds great! I still just don't understand why folks go out and buy used Marantz solid-state stereo receivers from that era in the same wattage-class as the H/K "X"30 twin-power series of receivers for well over three times the cost of those H/K's today on the eBay used market...they don't get anything more for the extra money they spend...but I guess some folks are more familiar/in-love with a particular name-brand than with real performance for the dollar. It kinda reminds me of those folks who went out and bought the first Honda SUV's...instead of just buying the Isuzu...the Honda cost quite a bit more, but all it was was a re-badged Isuzu with a fancier interior option. Kinda like today's Lexus will be the Camry in three years in every way but maybe a bit of the outer sheet metal! These kinda things leave ME perplexed...but I guess if you have the bucks, you can blow them however you want! I am more of a "best bang for the buck" kinda guy, myself. 2.gif

Just MHO!

----------------

On 5/21/2004 2:32:11 PM CaptnBob wrote:

Marantz made some of the best equipment ever in the tube era. Not surprisingly, the few pieces that turn up today tend to be pricey. Some of their early solid-state gear have their adherents, as well - Jim Bongiorno (of SAE and Ampzilla fame) claims the 15 has one of the best circuits of any transistor amp.

Marantz becomes a decidedly mixed bag after that. As a rule the "22" series of receivers (2270, 2215, 2245 etc.) are well thought of, although they do have problems with dial lamps and switches failing. The 18 and 19 receivers had good sound (the 19 was priced at a still breathtaking $1200 in the middle seventies) but can break down and repairs are costly. The 33 and 3300 preamps are still top performers, and the 'scope tuners are sought after as well. The power amps from this period are ok, but not anything really special.

Things seem to slide downhill a bit in the eighties, with, except for a few "statement" products, Marantz made a lot of "me too" receivers, cds, and tape players. This is also when you began to hear "Take a chance, buy a Marantz." from repair techs.

More recently, there appears to be an attempt to redeem the Marantz name, with good value cd players and some horrendously expensive electronics.

I hope this gives you an idea of what to look for. I'm sure there are others who will want to "chime in" with their own experiences.
9.gif
----------

......" claims the 15's are the"...

.My first SS....and I belive Sol's first SS......... They are in my garage.....Should I get them in the dry? 60wpc. ( Mod-14 was the "center channel mono-block" for the 7-T preamp). The Mod-15's were two Mod-14 mono-blocks joined by a faceplate. All three channels serve as garage fillers at this time.

tc

Audioreality,

Yep, ole Saul B. even built up a pair of tube monoblocks for PWK...did it himself. Too bad he let his company get away from him. But chit happens. I guess he just couldn't handle hanging around it any longer and watching it turn into what it turned into...so, even though he still had a job there for life, if he wanted to stay on, he felt he had to leave for "greener grass" elsewhere. It has to be the pits to see something with your name on it go the opposite way of where you wanted it to go!

HDBR,

"Kinda like today's Lexus will be the Camry in three years in every way but maybe a bit of the outer sheet metal! "

Obviously you've never owned a Lexus! I agree with you on the Honda Izuzu SUV thing, but there is a world of diff between a Camary and an ES300. I've owned both! I currently have a 2003 ES300!

- The Lexus GS300 (which I also own) is nothing like any Toyota produced. I bought my 99 GS300 5 years ago. It is flawless and a joy to drive. I will buy another GS in a couple of years.

No offense, BUT...Just one question..."if the Lexus isn't like any Toyota ever produced", which corporation is the one that MAKES the Lexus to begin with? Just look at the current Camry...its drive train, many of the options offered, etc...and look at what was the Lexus a few years ago...then think about it for a few seconds. Hopefully a light will go on somewhere.9.gif

The same thing applies to Mitsubishi/Hyundai...yesterday's Mitsubishi is today's Hyundai...product development that initially goes into Mitsubishi's line, trickles down to its Korean subsidiary's line after a few years...at a lower price.

The Lexus would never have gotten off the ground to begin with if consumers weren't satisfied with the standard Toyota offerings over the years. Consumer faith in Toyota products is what made the Lexus line possible.

I see that too, in my '03 Corolla. It has Lexus written all over it. It's not all of what a Lexus is, but there is no question that the Corolla buyer benefits from the influence - much like the Cornwall owner benefits from the bloodline of the larger Heritage brethren.....enough carries over to greatly benefit those who choose the lower cost option.

Lynnm,

I looked at a 2220 at a pawn shop yesterday. It was $25.00 and he even powered it up for me. It had some sort of short or something that made the sound cut out when you adjusted the volume and since I am Not qualified to work on it I passed. I'm glad you are happy with yours! Sounds like a steal!

First true stereo demo at the Brussels worlds fair in 59

was khorns (model h center) and Marantz amps with ampex tape deck.

One day when I have time I'll scan that story.

In 58 a us traveler saw the pitiful stereo demo at the 58 worlds fair and decided he had to do somthing about it.

so he got the us goverment to sponser his trip to the 59.

Even brought his own khorns and Marantz gear anlong.

Mr bell of the Music Box fame was alos anlong on that trip.