Biggest band letdowns

dgb

I agree with DGB and his comment on Neil Young..This guy just keeps getting better with time..While most bands/artists from the 60's and seventies are gone, singing Lion King songs, doing cover albums, ie Clapton, Aerosmith, Rush, Neil is still as creative and enthusiastic as ever..Having a writer as a father doesn't hurt the creative gene pool either..

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about ALMOST every band that was created from 1985 - 2004. They are all disappointing to me. They continue to dissapoint me with their lack of talent. Actually, it's the fault of the record companies, for promoting these wannabe's. Face it, style over substance is ruling our society & arts lately... Sad...Very Sad indeed...

----------------

On 6/4/2004 5:56:38 PM reactor444 wrote:

I agree with DGB and his comment on Neil Young..This guy just keeps getting better with time..While most bands/artists from the 60's and seventies are gone, singing Lion King songs, doing cover albums, ie Clapton, Aerosmith, Rush, Neil is still as creative and enthusiastic as ever..Having a writer as a father doesn't hurt the creative gene pool either..

----------------

Neil Young is very very talented. I don't think comparing him to Clapton, Aerosmith and RUSH is fair though. Clapton is/was a good guitarist...that's it. Aerosmith are just Rolling Stones rip offs. The toxic twins? C'mon, I'll take the Glimmer Twins any day over the toxic twins. RUSH are a breed unto themselves. They haven't put out a good/interesting album since 1989's Presto. Face it, it's hard to last 40's years doing anything. So, it's a miracle some of these guys have lasted as long as they have. Now, try comparing Neil Young to Dylan... Dylan is the man.

----------------

On 6/4/2004 2:25:58 PM mark1101 wrote:

Anyone remember the Outlaws? I think we can add them to the list too.

----------------

Well you got somewhat of a point although I liked most everything they did do,and its so good I still listen often.

----------------

Aerosmith are just Rolling Stones rip offs.

ahhh,huh...While I would never buy any Aerosmith lp/cd not recorded in the 70's I hear nothing on on their vintage albums that reminds me of the Stones.Aerosmith was a great rock guitar band,the Stones(which I like ok and with all due respect)were not heavy enough for me.

----------------

On 6/4/2004 8:24:42 PM 3dzapper wrote:

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Dire Straits yet. One album of graet songs exquisitly produced then.....

Rick

----------------

Actually 2. The first was pretty good too.

Moby's doing a fast plummet since "Animal Rights", going completely commercial/partnering with popularity.

Genesis after Peter Gabriel left. Maybe after "And then there were three".

Aerosmith, as soon as they plugged in for the first time!

In addition to Neil Young, bands who have stayed good:

Social Distortion, the Cult (actually started going bad ("Electric", but then got good again!), Planet P Project!

Agreed! Genesis after Peter Gabriel changed substantially! Lamb lies down on Broadway was an incredible effort, then Genesis went "pop city".

Styx was another one of those groups that had great promise (if you listen to their early stuff, some of it had a hard edge), but the influence of Dennis Deyoung eventually put them in the ballad crapper.

Kansas had some early stuff that was phenomenal, and then they completely slid off the map after the departure of Kerry Livgren.

How about the Cars? The first album was outstanding, nearly every song a hit - their folow-up efforts not so interesting.

There's a few....

Popbumper9.gif

----------------

On 6/4/2004 3:06:24 PM boomac wrote:

Did any of those guys play with Buffalo Springfield? I always heard that but never had it confirmed.

----------------

Regarding Chicago,

No. Buffalo Springfield was composed of east coast & Canadian personal, going back to bands like the Hollies & went on to spawn may other famous groups. The Chicago guys were mostly out of the Chicago suburbs, Downers Grove (where I used to live) & Hinsdale (nearby). At least several of the bands founders were DePaul University music school graduates. IMO when Terry Kath (lead guitar) accidentally shot himself in the head playing around at a party, insisting the gun wasnt loaded, the band went down hill after that & never recovered.

Boston gets a vote from me too. And so does Styx (or Stynx as I prefer to call them). My wife & I went to see them the day we got engaged. The concert sucked. Just a bunch of loud noise.

BTW, my old man (long gone), being a military type, taught me about guns at a very early age. He said A gun is ALWAYS LOADED, whether you think it is or not. NEVER point one at anyone or anything unless you intend to shoot it. Theres more truth to that than you might think. Not long after he passed away, my 50 shot pump BB gun got jammed. I removed the BB magazine that screws into the barrel to see if I could get a better look down the barrel & see what was wrong. After some jiggling around, I heard something hit the garage wall. The several inch long firing rod had broken off & logged itself in the wall. Fortunately I wasnt still looking down the barrel when it happened.

3.gif

Milly Vanilly were once at the top of the pop charts with their smash hit, "Blame It On The Rain."

The rest is now history.

They didn't even get a chance to jump the shark; they were busted long before that ever happened!11.gif

Genesis is my favorite band, a while they were definately different after PG, I still enjoyed most of their alblums. They certainly went for the charts with singles, but their alblums still had great "classic" Genesis on them. I particularly liked Duke, Abacab. Even Invisible Touch, the single which I hate with a passion, had some great tunes like The Brazillian, Domino and Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (single was edited).

Cars I is about as close to the soundtrack of my youth as any alblum. Everybody loved that one!

! Lamb lies down on Broadway was an incredible effort, then Genesis went "pop city".

Hey, I just thought of another:

Who in the heck did "GREEN EYED LADY"? ...Some one-hit-wonder band whose name escapes me.

That was an awesome tune (or so it seemed at the time) that pretty much defined the jukebox selection in the highschool caferteria for about my entire 10th grade year...

DM

Sugarloaf did it, Dman, along with "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You " with the CBS or MCA record label phone number tone played as the middle eight melody. They splintered, with members falling into the California Eagles type groups, Poco, and a few started Firefall.