Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Nice! I have the same front three!

Looks like you have about 20 feet of separation between Left and Right. It's 14'6" across the back wall there & it's about as small as I would recommend. I know if I were to move, I would have to: A: Custom build a room (like you) B: Sell all the Klipschorns & purchase some Palladium replacements (or something that can sound as good as the Klipschorn)

Nice! I have the same front three!

Looks like you have about 20 feet of separation between Left and Right. It's 14'6" across the back wall there & it's about as small as I would recommend. I know if I were to move, I would have to: A: Custom build a room (like you) B: Sell all the Klipschorns & purchase some Palladium replacements (or something that can sound as good as the Klipschorn)

Good eye! Just a tad under 20 feet! Sounds great! Imaging is amazing and the speakers disappear from the room.

Hello there PSG....

Nice and clean setup there!, but I am most curious, what in your 'software' collection do you have that will run your system in true 6.1?

I am sure you know about the center rear being different if your in Dolby vs. DTS (yeah, it really performes differently depending on which!)

I have only ONE movie in 6.1 (hard to find this stuff, it was such a seemingly short lived audio scheme)...

Anyway, just curious [;)]

............Gary

Hello there PSG....

Nice and clean setup there!, but I am most curious, what in your 'software' collection do you have that will run your system in true 6.1?

I am sure you know about the center rear being different if your in Dolby vs. DTS (yeah, it really performes differently depending on which!)

I have only ONE movie in 6.1 (hard to find this stuff, it was such a seemingly short lived audio scheme)...

Anyway, just curious Wink

............Gary

Are you talking about DTS-HD MA 5.1 ES? Or true 6.1? The new

star wars saga on blu ray is true 6.1 (DTS-HD MA 6.1) and it’s amazing.

[:$]

Hello there PSG....

7.1 isn't practical for me. Since a lot of content is still 5.1 then th 6th channel is matrixed anyway. I figure I'm probably not missing much, but you are correct. It's not optimal. What drives my 6th channel? A random pick of the R or L rear channel... [:$]

Here's the back of the room (before a better AV rack)

dsc_0711.jpg

dsc_0695.jpg

Hey there PSG.....

Well, you have a rather 'raw' looking theater too, but that makes it interesting [:)]

Ok, the deal with the 6.1 is........................If the chosen soundtrack for 6.1 is Dolby........then, it is MATRIXED between the rear left and right... GARBAGE! (sorry, had to get that out......[;)] )

If you have selected DTS 6.1 then your rear center is DESCRETE [Y] [:D] --- I learned this only a few months ago and was amazed to find this out, most persons (like myself) are unawhere unless they have read the fine print !

To continue, it was basically Dolby systems that started this whole thing, yet, they chinced out with their 6.1 audio spec.

As I have mentioned many times...........I never use ANY mode that has with the word 'Pro' in it when it comes to Dolby systems... 5.1 - 6.1 and 7.1 should always be descrete audio channels, I say to anyone reading, why use a dated 'pro logic' type mode with today's great equipment and high resolution recorded audio that is well beyond that? Is there any wonder why MORE BluRays are recorded in DTS exculsively?? Why is this ?

Food for thought...

............Gary

Hey there PSG.....

Well, you have a rather 'raw' looking theater too, but that makes it interesting Smile

Ok, the deal with the 6.1 is........................If the chosen soundtrack for 6.1 is Dolby........then, it is MATRIXED between the rear left and right... GARBAGE! (sorry, had to get that out......Wink )

If you have selected DTS 6.1 then your rear center is DESCRETE YesBig Smile --- I learned this only a few months ago and was amazed to find this out, most persons (like myself) are unawhere unless they have read the fine print !

To continue, it was basically Dolby systems that started this whole thing, yet, they chinced out with their 6.1 audio spec.

As I have mentioned many times...........I never use ANY mode that has with the word 'Pro' in it when it comes to Dolby systems... 5.1 - 6.1 and 7.1 should always be descrete audio channels, I say to anyone reading, why use a dated 'pro logic' type mode with today's great equipment and high resolution recorded audio that is well beyond that? Is there any wonder why MORE BluRays are recorded in DTS exculsively?? Why is this ?

Food for thought...

............Gary

Go with what you like of course. But to me it’s an upgrade from the standard

5.1 that I had before. Even if its matrix.

Why would you call it garbage? Pro

IIx isn’t that old by the way. And if I’m right when you use pro IIx it doesn’t

replace the other audio format it only sends the surround information to the

rear speakers nothing more is changed. It’s

still 100% the full lossless track. And as you know (looking at your gear)

older doesn’t always mean worse. [:D]

A newer Dolby Pro Logic IIx system is also now available, which can take two-channel stereo, Dolby Surround (sometimes called Dolby Stereo Surround) and Dolby Digital 5.1 source material and up-convert it to 6.1 or 7.1 channel surround sound. Dolby Pro Logic IIx also takes signals intended for Dolby Pro Logic II and up-converts them to a 6.1 or 7.1 channel surround sound.

Only when you are taking a 2 channel signal does it work

like the old Dolby pro II

Hello there Reference....

Thanks for the reply concerning my last statements... Ok, I guess the garbage term was a bit harsh on my part [:$] .

Guess the issue (mine) is NOT about the resolution portion of the audio (upconverting, lossless etc...) its the 'mixing' of channels in any way that is a 'compromise' (my opinion of course). I am from the old school of quad and was on the band wagon big time with that in 1973. Yes, a 4 ch. R to R was the best source and quality for the format. (with my SACD recievers, I can STILL enjoy this format which is nice)

So, when a discrete (correct spelling on my part this time [;)] ) 5.1 (or AC-3 as it was called) was 're-introduced' after 'Pro Logic' I was in love [Y] and have not looked back to anything that 'mixes' other channels to make 'more' .....

I know some fellows here are playing with '9.1' and beyond, but in my mind its like adding more stereo speakers to the mix and not really what the sound engineers have worked on in the studios with a discrete multi channel mix.

Its all about separation and truly INDIVIDUAL sounds coming from different places in the room with NO bleed through which is known to happen in matrixing 'blends' , we've all heard this before..

Yes, I do have vintage stereo as you noted, but I am still a big fan of pre-recorded reel to reel tapes for their qualities, and that is another subject in itself for sure.

Well, this is fun and I am sorry for yet again hi-acking this forum/thread. But, its what makes it all go 'round for each of us. [:)]

As always, in the end, it comes down to what each of us likes to hear, I was simply bringing to light a couple of facts many already know.

Have a nice weekend.

...................Gary

Embarrassed

Hello there PSG....

7.1 isn't practical for me. Since a lot of content is still 5.1 then th 6th channel is matrixed anyway. I figure I'm probably not missing much, but you are correct. It's not optimal. What drives my 6th channel? A random pick of the R or L rear channel... Embarrassed

Here's the back of the room (before a better AV rack)

dsc_0711.jpg

dsc_0695.jpg

No offense PSG but your 6th channel has nothing on mine...

1317412144.jpg

I kid of course however I don't think I could fit a hersey in my cabinet! lol

1317412130.jpg

1317412157.jpg

Latest update to my setup:

I recently acquired two RB-51II (thanks robc1976, and put them in service as my surrounds (out of the photos). Then I moved the RB-41II that I was formerly using as surrounds and turned them into heights/presence speakers for my Yamaha AVR's DSP modes. I've run it this way for a few days, and although I'm not sure I prefer it to a proper 7.1 discrete setup, but my room just doesn't allow for that since we sit up against a back wall. It is, however, nice to use the "Dialogue Lift" function to raise the soundstage just a bit, as my screen is technically a bit too high

post-44872-1381966330098_thumb.jpg

• dtel pinned this topic