Recommendation of a good SACD player..

Luuz0r

There have been lots of good things said about the Philips DVD 963SA, do a search and you will find more than one thread. I can also highly recommend the Sony DVP S9000ES SACD/CD/DVD player, you can find them used on AudiogoN in the ~$550-$600 range. This player was originally $1500, is built like a tank and is a great performer IMHO.

I use a Marantz DV-8400 and I have no complaints. It reads: CD, CD-R, DVD-A, DVD-R, DVD+R, MP3, SACD, VCD & SVCD. It does have the chroma upsampling bug, but, I primarily (99%) listen to music on it. Sounds open and airy...detailed. I bought it for the sound quality. Nice unit.

Here's some good info on the unit:

SACD/CD/DVD/MP3 PLAYER

Strike Gold! Marantz took the award winning DV8300 universal player and made it even better. This "jack of all trades" still masters them all. From DVD Audio and Video (both interlaced and progressive (with 3:2 pulldown)), to DSD based SACD (both two and multi-channel to virtually every other silver disc technology in-between. With 50 years of pure high fidelity know how, we redesigned the entire audio section around an all new copper chassis, added a pure digital output (DVI w/HDCP and finished it with an RS232c terminal for customized automation control.

FEATURES

RS232c terminal for control

DVI-D Output (25 pin with HDCP

All Copper Chassis

Redesigned audio section

THX Select Certified - Adhearing to this specification allows us to offer the best overall performance for the money.

Ulimate versatility - plays DVD video, DVD-A,DVD-R, DVD-RW SACD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP-3 based CD-Roms and Video CD

DSD based SACD Chipset for Increased Dynamic Range and Resolution over the more commonly used Multi-bit chipsets.

Separate power supplies for the audio and video sections.

Oversized power supply

Marantz proprietary HDAM output devices replace cheap "op amps" found in many other (even more expensive) players - the result is a much more detailed and accurate reproduction of the music or movie source.

2.gif

You could consider the Sony SCD-XB790 SACD player. A new product the HI-FI World (UK) said was "...creamy smooth and laid back...atmospheric...". UK price is 249 pounds - I don't know what that is in real money. I would avoid the combination Sony DVD/SACD option as audio seems to take a back seat when you throw in DVD and SACD into the same case.

----------------

On 6/11/2004 5:48:52 AM edster00 wrote:

Ordinarily I would agree with you, edwinr, but in the case of the Sony product I mentioned the unit was designed and buit by Sony's audio engineers, not their video engineers. It does an incredible job with SACDs as well as redbook CDs.

----------------

Yes you are right in the case of the ES series. The Sony QS series is not as audio orientated far as I'm aware. I've just read a review of the new Sony SCD-XA9000ES in HI FI News. It looks good. Apparently Sony and Marantz are the only manufacturers that use true 1 bit converter DAC'S. Subsequent DVD-A and universal players from other manufacturers use 3-5 bit 'Delta Sigma' converters which apparently offer compatability with SACD but is ultimately not quite what Sony intended.

Denon DVD2200, you can pick one up for around $450.00 (MSRP $600).....or if you want to spend more...

Denon DVD5900, one of these will run you around $1700 (MSRP $2000).

Or do your own search...http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all&type=&manufacturer=0&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0

What's your price range? If you want a very good player with the capability of upgrades and are willing to go used, buy Artto's 333ES. You'll never find a better deal. If money's no object, your choices are virtually unlimited. I've heard good things about the sony 777ES but never actually heard one.

what are you hooking it up to?

the pioneer elite multi players do an outstanding job on SACD and DVD-audio..... and if you have an i-link equipped receiver it will pass all 6 channels via one firewire cable.... (47ai and 59ai models)

additionally, this i-link connection does it without any errors from jitter.... i-link is a two way connection... the receiver double checks the signal before converting it to analog....

the result is your SACD's as well as your standard CD's sound much better....

1.gif

i'll second the Sony XA9000ES, it sounds as good as it looks. I have had mine over 6 months and have been very happy with the preformance of the player. Its detailed yet smooth. But this player may be way out of your price range (~ $2000 @ Oade brothers)

-Dave