Big Bands

mandi

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Count Basie didn't swing I guess nobody swung!

America's Number One Band - The Columbia Years

Easin'

Atomic Basie

Count Basie at the Sands with Frank Sinatra or vise versa!

Early recordings with Lester Young on TS.

April in Paris

Best modern swing band IMO, hands down is the SPITFIRE Band out of Canada. Every bit as accomplished as the real bands of the 30's and 40's.

Unfortunately, the cd recordings are less-than-average.

But the musicianship is worthy of respect and still shines through... It's a real shame that some "good" engineering is not used (at least so far)...

DM2.gif

----------------

On 6/14/2004 8:11:44 PM boomac wrote:

Count Basie

Duke Ellington

Stan Kenton

Artie Shaw

Tommy Dorsey

Glen Miller

Beny Goodman

Dizzy Gillespie
----------------

One of my favorites is the Thad Jones and Mel Lewis big band/orchestra. This band kicks.

Klipsch out.

I am certainly do not claim to be an expert as far as Big Band music. However, I can vividly remember both my grandparents and also my own parents listening to these groups while growing up in the 60's.

Glenn Miller

Gene Krupa

Tommy Dorsey

Benny Goodman

Tito Puente

Buddy Rich

Rudy Vallee

Count Basie

Dizzy Gillespie

Duke Ellington

Yo, Mark1101, your comments on "the swingin lovers" got me huntin big bands I went to their website and listened to some of their demos. I emailed them but no reply so "You've got mail". Oh, where in GA, I am heading to Savannah on Friday.

Thanks for all the input I think I will go look for a sample CD. Anyone ever see one of em?

I used to play drums, so I've always been partial to Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. Also check out Ed Shaunnessy if you find him on anything. He was the drummer for the Tonight Show Band back when Johnny Carson was king of night-time TV. I was fortunate as a teenager that my grandfather and uncle (a couple of big band fans - may they r.i.p.)took me to The Steel Pier in Atlantic City a couple of times to see Krupa and Rich. Some of my fondest musical memories.

Not a huge fan of the big bands, but here's a cd you may want to check out, it's the soundtrack for the movie Kansas City, directed by Robert Altamn and put out in 1996. They used a band put together for the movie, and from what I've heard made an excellent stab at the Kansas City big band sound. I play it quite a lot.

Bill Perkins (who replaced Stan Getz in Herman's band when he went out on his own) once told me that this was the loosest, swingingist bunch of cats he ever played with and that Herman was a great, laid back leader. He also told me that 80% of the band was addicted to heroin and that this was one of the main reasons Woody broke the band up. They reformed as "the Third Herd" a year or so later and that's when they cut those tracks with Charlie Parker. Killer big band.