Getting the most out of the RF-7s

I'm thinking about picking up a Denon 4800 or Denon 5800 off ebay. I got to thinking about how much all this will cost....not sure I can justify it. I think I'm learning that the trick to being perfectly happy and content with the system you have is to simply not listen to other stuff that costs twice as much. I was thinking about stepping down to the RF-5's (my room really isn't that big, and the RF-5's are still fantastic), but I found the RF-7's for $1000 open box. I want a good HT system that I won't have to replace for a long time, but I don't want to spend $10K and I'm not really an audiophile.

Anyway, I'm thinking a good used high end AV receiver of yesterday might do the trick. There's lots of competition in the market right now for AV receivers which have driven the prices down a lot, expecially when they're a few years old. What does everyone think of this?

With that said, do I need the RC-7 and RS-7 to complete my surround system, or will the smaller RC-3 and RS-3 work well? My room is only 15W*14L*11H.

I think I'll get the RSW-12 instead of the RSW-15. I bet the 12 could shake my house apart, probably don't need the 15 for my room size. I live in a townhome as well...I do have to play things at polite levels.

I did some reading around on the speaker wire. I think I'll go with 12 guage lamp cord as suggested on this site.

Now for the Universal DVD player. I really don't want a million separate components. I want one player that plays everything well. I've done a lot of reading, and I've heard good things about the Denon 1600, 2900 and 5900. The 5900 costs too much unless I can find it used or something. I've heard that as long as you get a decent player, it doesn't affect the quality of the sound much.

Here's a good question for you guys. Where does sound quality come from? For example here's my entry level opinion:

65% speakers

25% Receiver (amp+preamp)

8% DVD player

2% Other (cables,etc)

This would serve as a guide in allocating my HT budget.

As always I appreciate the advice,

Kurt

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kurt,

Most of your ideas are sound with one major exception. The used high end receiver is a less than ideal solution. Use eBay to buy a very good stand alone amplifier. Then purchase a state of the art receiver to use as a processor for less than half the cost of a processor.

Processor technology changes very rapidly. On a new processor, look for i.link, acoustic room correction, video upconversion and Dolby Prologic IIx. Also buy more connections that you think that you will use. You are likely to add equipment later.

The receivers that will have these features are made by Pioneer and Yamaha. The Denons have it all except for i.link. Pioneer will add DPL IIx and video upconversion later this summer or early fall.

Bill

welcome to the FOrum, good advice all around, but I would seriously consider nuking the RS7 surround speakers. Most Forum members seem to be preferring a more direct and balanced sound from their surrounds since the advent of 5.1....

Consider a speaker from the RB (bookshelf) line that matches the components for whichever LR speakers you end up with.

Good luck with the separates. It's really the best long-term solution, more $$$, but hey they're your ears!

GO HARD OR STAY HOME!

LOL Im right there with ya Rich. I finally moved out of a Condo,and bought a house, the first thing I went shopping for was the "equipment". I have always loved Klipsch,I went with the RF7s , and had to decide on seperates or an A/V receiver.

My conclusion was (because I know this will be a "work in progress" for the rest of my life) go ahead and get the RF7s and go demo a few HT receivers Yamaha,Denon,Pioneer Elite,HK,ect..all these brands make a fairly good sounding 7.1 rig for under $1000. After that you may become an "Audiophile" and desire to look into the seperates, or you may be content to stay where you are. IMHO

I went with an $800. Yamaha 7.1 HT receiver

because I do more movies and entertainment than straight music. I love it for the time being, but I am becoming an Audiophile, and will need to have these speakers perform at thier true potential. I can see Mccintosh on the horizon. LOL Good Luck.

2.gif

All the replies are awesome. You guys kick butt!

Well I get the RF-7's delivered today. I just bought some used RF-3's to use as rear surround speakers. Someone please tell me that was a good idea. I've read that monopole speakers sound better for music than bipoles (it's all about the music for me). But I have to admit that the purchase was based more upon lust than logic 9.gif Found em on ebay for $450. The seller lived only a few miles away so I could pick them up and not pay shipping. I figured I'd end up spending that much on the rear surrounds anyway...they might as well be towers (Tim Allen power grunt).

So I'm going to have a room full of speakers, but there's still no noise! Gotta get a DVD player and a receiver. Gotta do it before the lust completely takes over. Must make good decision while I still can!

Everyone has told me separates, but I've never owned any of this stuff before. I'll have to figure out how to wire what I even have! Basically I don't think I'll have the mental fortitude to wait and research separates (I don't even know that much about AV receivers yet).

I think I'll start easier. I'm thinking Denon DVD 4800, 5800, or 5700 or maybe a Onkyo TX-DS898 (ebay) and a Denon 2200 or 2900 DVD player.

Do I need to drop $$$$ on a DVD player (I want a universal one). They just feed 1001010101010 to the receiver's DACS right? What do the really expensive players (denon DVD 5900) offer in terms of sound quality that the others don't?

kurt,

The RF-3s for rear surrounds should do a super job for both music and movies. If you have the space, it is a can't lose proposition.

A universal player is also a good idea, but only Yamaha and Pioneer Elites with i.link can pass both SACD and DVD-A digital signals from an i.link universal player to an i.link receiver. All other sytems with high resolution music must use the six analog cables to pass the muti-channel music. Hence on other systems, the universal player must have very good DACs, bass management and time alignment. Most universal players are only moderately good at all of this IMO.

Denons use proprietary Denon link that cannot pass SACD via digital cable. The Denon link players only work with Denon receivers. Look at Yamaha and Pioneer for better setups for multi-channel high resolution music.

DVD-Vs can pass a digital signal to any modern multi-channel receiver. DVD-Vs pass "lossy" sound formats. The sound can be quite good, but it is not high resolution sound.

okay...

So what I said was true about the DAC's, unless I want to listen to high res. music right? Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. I guess I need to do a bunch of reading on high res music...I really want to buy this stuff only once.

Maybe I should summon my patience and look at separates too. If I go separates....the amp doesn't get outdated right? Just the processor/preamp. By the way, what is the difference between a processor and a preamp?

Well I gotta go read about i-link and high res. music...

If you really want to get the most out RF7's (or any speaker or group of components for that matter) may I suggest you start (if you can) with the most important component of all, the listening room.

Welcome to the Forum!

BTW, your comments sound just like the old Klipsch advertisements. Obviously this still holds true to this day. 16.gif

• 2 months later...

I have rf-7's with a macintosh ma-6450, musichall cd, monster z2 cables and it works well. my room is large and irregular, but the amp keeps up with good bass and image. the tone control on the mac helps make up for the room. you can find the mac on ebay around 1400.00 in mint shape and the cd on audiogon around 400.00. the combo works well for my ear. I have used maggies, sonus faber, infinity, as well as others and the 7's do very nicely compared to the others. do bi-wire them and put them on spikes. you can also use vintage marantz integrated units like the 1120 or 1200 and should be pleased with the results. these can also be found on ebay at a reasonable cost. good luck and enjoy the beginning of a long ride.3.gif

Great choice on speakers!!! My RF-7's have never let me down! My sub is in the shop, and I can say that I don't really miss it. O.K. I miss it alot, like a kidney! But the 7's hold up well with out it. Enjoy!!!

In my opinion, you need a reciver that fits your needs, and do not settle for anything else. Make a list of the things you want and go for it! I went Yahmaha RXZ-1. Great receiver!! I looked at Pioneer, and Denon, but fell in love when they turned on the Yahmaha! A top notch piano manufacturer knows music, and they have nailed natural sound. If I had the extra money, I still think I would have choosen the same receiver. They have great units starting at around $800, and you can move up from there.

Have fun!!

----------------

On 7/9/2004 1:52:11 PM DrPyro wrote:

Billiardicus-

I agree that the Denon receivers KILL the sound when listening to Klipsch speakers. I had a denon that I thought sounded fairly good, but with classical music something was serisouly missing from the music.

----------------

Some may remember I posted about hearing RF-7's at a local dealer through a Denon receiver and complained about a hole in the midrange.

Does anyone here notice this hole with good quality separates? Could it be that the Denon created the hole?

I noticed some small midrange deficiencies (a hole, so to speak) back in receiver days (Yamaha, Harman Kardons). After going to separates, no more midrange deficiencies. My latest move incorporating tubes into the source and linestage has opened up the midrange even more.

You really should hear RF-7s with a nice pair of separates. Put tubes into the mix - and it gets even sweeter. 1.gif

(But, of course, you already knew that)

Carl.

I know what you mean by "hole" in the midrange through a reciever but what I haven't been able to figure out is if the amp portion or the pre/pro is responsible. I'm sure there's plenty of people using recievers with separate amps, though, so someone should be able to answer that.

----------------

On 7/17/2004 4:08:34 PM DeanG wrote:

There is one more thing to add to your list.

Shame on you guys for not giving me a nice plug.
14.gif
----------------

I am not much of an RF-7 fan. I would go with khorns or Cornwalls used. But, if you are set on RF-7's, budget money for Deano's upgraded crossovers. I had the opportunity to listen to RF-7s stock and then with Deans crossovers. Same room, same souce, same day. Deans crossovers for the 7's are a cost-effective must.

The improvement is night and day. Buy cheap wire and interconnects and use the $ for great Crossovers.

Focus on the cost -effective improvements, one thing at a time.

Regards,

Terry

Don't mean to throw a wrench N2 the works, BUT...here's my tale. I 1st heard the vaunted Klipschorn back in the early 70s' at a Federated store and was thoroughly amazed and $ challenged. I had ushered at the Hollywood Bowl for many summers during high school and NO speaker better captures/reproduces the "live" in music. You sit in their sweet spot and you're at the concert: you leave the room and the same concert, simply stated, is playing in the next room.

I got my K-horns in the mid 80s' and yummy happy was I!!! I relinquished them last year (reasons too long to recount here)and they were replaced with RF-7s. Got new K-horns in last week.

These days it's not easy to audition the Klipschorn. Work at it, you'll not be dissappointed. If you can afford them and want to "do it right" the 1st time my experience is that they are the better option.

Sadly should you buy them they will only deepen your quandary about what components to drive them with. I suggest tubes because they breath. Best of all to you.2.gif

You should PM WHELL and get him to detail his impressions of RF-7 for the first time yesterday listening to them with a Blueberry PREMAP and VRD tube monoblocks.

I am only an infrequent listener to RF-7.

Mike WHELL most likely can give a review of implmenting high performance PP tubes in conjunction with the RF-7.

I certainly was not disappointed.