OT: Thred Hi Jackers

Royster

I have noticed that as of late there seems to be a lot threads that are hi jacked.

A member ask's for advice or input. Instead of providing useful advise or info, they go off onto a tangent that is sure to cause flame wars.

Example: "what time is it"? And someone responds with: How to build a watch, and why the watch they prefer is better than yours. And that pocket watch owners are better than wrist wach owners.

A truely sad situation for a site with such vast experience and insight. 15.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While you are largely right, what you highlight is just a function of the medium. To put things in perspective, I offer you this ancient gem in the hope that it may, um, shed some light.

"How many usenet board posters does it take to change a light bulb?"

1 to change the light bulb and announce to the board that the light

bulb has been changed

5 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the

light bulb should probably have been changed differently

7 to frantically caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

differently; several of them containing grievous spelling errors

3 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light

bulbs either the same or differently

2 to flame the spell checkers

1 "truck driver" type redneck to describe in detail where he would and

has inserted lights bulbs previously.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 3

to condemn those 6 as stupid

2 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions

about light bulbs"

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is

"lamp"

4 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry more than 10 years,

and in their part of the country, "light bulb" is perfectly correct

2 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take

their discussion to a light bulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light

bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to all of us

2 to huffily announce/threaten they are putting all light bulb

discussion people on "ignore"

4 to accuse the above 2 posters of being another screen name as well

6 to strongly recommend the above 2 posters

25 to continue the debate on which method of changing light bulbs is

superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs

work best for this technique and which brands are less reliable

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

2 to note that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the

corrected URL's

3 to post links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this

group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

1 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety, including

all headers and signatures, and add "me too" verbiage

1 to point out that the light bulb is being phased out and will be

replaced by newer technology such as LED's

5 to post to the group that they thought this was a discussion board,

meant to discuss the real topic, and will no longer post because they

cannot handle all this light bulb controversy

3 to tell the 5 complainers to wake up, that it's never been

about the real topic. It's about politics and bulls***

2 to tell the the 5 complainers to get lost and don't let the

door beat them in the a**

4 to say "didn't we just go through this whole thing a short time

ago?"

2 or 3 to post that the light bulb company just agreed to buy tungsten

and glass from a little company they own stock in, so that stock is

about to explode

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and

start it all over again

What makes me chuckle is that when someone calls them on it they come up with all manners of reasons/rationale for their response/tangent.

And here's the irony. If they were to call their kids hand on something and their kids did the same softshoe/rationalizing thing instead of just saying, "You're right mom/dad. I'm sorry."; these same folks would be all over their kids like stink on a turd.

But it does make for a humorous distraction. I mean, I can just see some of these folks all serious and whatnot, almost seeing red, brain going 90-to-nothing, teeth gritted as they pound away on their keyboard. LOL....

Tom

Anyone using those halogen lights? How do you like them?

How about that Mike Iaconelli?? (Sorry, the big team sports just never did it for me.)

On topic, I realize I have unintentionally skewed the direction of a thread or two, but I also think it's a lot like sitting and having a beer with a couple buds after work. One topic leads to another without meaning to change directions, it just happens. Someone mentions one thing, which leads to someone else having a thought that may seem unrelated, but to them, it is, and it gets posted.

Loved your post Olorin. 1.gif Sounded pretty close to the truth.

"Example: "what time is it"? And someone responds with: How to build a watch, and why the watch they prefer is better than yours. And that pocket watch owners are better than wrist wach owners."

I don't see the problem with that. If someone posts, "I am thinking about buying amp x or y". Then a member posts, well, did you consider Z? That is "hijacking" like you are talking about, but its useful information. Maybe they didn't know that amp Z existed. None of us know everything, so its always useful to get a hint in a different direction.

In your example , Someone asks what time it is. While kind of a silly example, if someone posted that on a bulletin board, I would probably alert the poster to the fact that their computer most likely has a clock, that watches exist, etc. Something to better their situation so they don't *have* to ask what time it is. Thats how people learn things sometimes, through conversations that branch possibly beyond the straight flat out answer to the question.

IMHO , Sometimes you shouldn't answer the question that is being asked, but the question that *should* have been asked.

Hello:

Uh, when did you say the NHL strike may start? We're supposed to have the Sabres play Tampa Bay, the seats are $77.00, I can't believe the cost.

I know I can't afford it, how do they expect a family of four (4) to attend.....

You know you're right, I hate it when a thread gets hijacked. I lose so many buttons that way.

12.gif12.gif

dodger

----------------

On 7/21/2004 9:34:43 AM Royster wrote:

A member ask's for advice or input. Instead of providing useful advise or info, they go off onto a tangent that is sure to cause flame wars.

----------------

You have selected a Klipsch Classic product. The Tangent Series Tangent Theater was first introduced in 1993 and manufactured by Klipsch until 1994. While no longer in production, Tangent Theater model loudspeakers are still owned and listened to by Klipsch fans around the world as part of home theater surround sound systems. To connect with other people who are passionate about audio and interested in Klipsch Classic products, visit one the several Klipsch Classic areas on our open forum bulletin board

*Sorry no image available

Even Klipsch is guilty of going off on a Tangent!6.gif

I find the whole concept that a thread can be "hijacked" kind of silly.

This is not a customer service or technical support desk. This is a community forum. I see us communicating via posts here very analogous to a bunch of friends strolling down the street talking about stuff. conversations naturally swing this way and that, flitting from topic to topic in weird and wonderful ways.

If someone posts a question in 2 channel, like "Will the smarzynaffoulous 300B amp be enough power in my 15 X 22 foot room to drive my RF-7's if I listen to mostly rock and roll, you know, stuff like Thin Lizzy" and I jump in and say "Thin Lizzy! Wow! Brian was my all time favorite drummer! Which album do you like the best?" or even "Hey, ya know, if you like Thin Lizzy you probably drive pickups. Do you have a Ford or Chevy?" I haven't "hijacked" the thread. Other posters are perfectly capable of answering the original question. All I did was respond to something that hit some bell with me. Just like you would if you were talking with a bunch of people.

----------------

On 7/21/2004 12:48:44 PM ironwoods wrote:

You have selected a Klipsch Classic product.

----------------

I can remember using Classic Products when I was in High School. I used Classic Car Wax on my car. It was a paste wax that involved a lot of work to put on. But it came off with ease and left a brilliant shine. I feel there are much better, easier to use products today such as Zaino Brothers Car Polish. Sorry, I do not know if Classic Car Wax is still being sold.

----------------

On 7/21/2004 12:56:44 PM Ray Garrison wrote:

If someone posts a question in 2 channel, like "Will the smarzynaffoulous 300B amp be enough power in my 15 X 22 foot room to drive my RF-7's if I listen to mostly rock and roll, you know, stuff like Thin Lizzy" and I jump in and say "Thin Lizzy! Wow! Brian was my all time favorite drummer! Which album do you like the best?" or even "Hey, ya know, if you like Thin Lizzy you probably drive pickups. Do you have a Ford or Chevy?" I haven't "hijacked" the thread. Other posters are perfectly capable of answering the original question. All I did was respond to something that hit some bell with me. Just like you would if you were talking with a bunch of people.

----------------

But if someone asks the Thin Lizzy question and someone else jumps in

and says that Thin Lizzy sucks, why would you ever wanna listen to THAT?

And 15 others jump in and give you 69 reasons why you shouldn't ever listen

to Thin Lizzy (or use a PWC), then IMHO the thread has in fact been hijacked.