1st 24 Hours With Khorns

garymd

----------------

On 7/22/2004 11:47:48 AM sunnysal wrote:

congrats! btw play a copy of "reckoning" on those babys and watch out, its like being at a show! regards, tony

----------------

Tony - Did that last night! Both the lp and the cd sounded great but of course I settled in with the vinyl. Actually, I spent about 3 hours listening to nothing but Dead. I've had a sealed copy of "In The Dark" for about a year now and finally opened it last night. Seemed like the right time.

Rob - Yes they seem to be the metal horns but they're smooth as silk. I can't imagine improvement but it's too early in the game for me to hear any faults.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary and Edwin, when you start tweaking, do the tweaks one at a time and listen for a week before you move on to the next. While some of the changes are not subtle, it is a lot better having multiple listenings to decide whether you REALLY like the change or not - especially if you listen to multiple types of music.

What a wonderful event!12.gif

----------------

On 7/22/2004 1:40:58 PM mark1101 wrote:

Gary,

Glad to see you are giving the Dead some air time.
9.gif

----------------

You knew it was inevitable Mark!

I recently bought an MFSL lp of Mars Hotel and I'm bidding on an American Beauty copy right now.

The opening to Hendrix, Axis, Bold As Love was very cool also!

Just take your time and don't be in a hurry to fiddle with them, Gary.

To seal or not to seal? Opinions vary, but I have mine now well sealed in their new, good corners, and frankly I hear no difference. On the other hand my current amp, an Onkyo home theater TX575S, is no great shakes in the bass even though the front mains (the Khorns) are set to Large. But its subwoofer output feeds a Velodyne S1500R sub, which gives me plenty of bass, especially in that new room.

What amp are you running your Khorns with, the Scott 299? If you still have the little Fisher amp, you might try swapping that in to listen for any differences. Khorns show up the subtlest amp differences, so you will probably hear some change.

P.S. One advantage of not being married is that when the mood strikes, I can really let 'em rip, and do. When my S.O. is around weekends I still listen, but she winces a bit when I let the puppies run.

Tom

----------------

On 7/22/2004 2:45:16 PM DTLongo wrote:

What amp are you running your Khorns with, the Scott 299? If you still have the little Fisher amp, you might try swapping that in to listen for any differences. Khorns show up the subtlest amp differences, so you will probably hear some change.

Tom

----------------

Tom,

I'm using a pair of Dynaco MkIII amps (highly modded by NOSValves), Blueberry Preamp, VPI HW19 MkIV TT and Sony 555ES SACD player. I will eventually give the fisher and scott a turn but probably not for a while. The MkIIIs deliver plenty of punch so I can't imagine ever needing or wanting a sub. There's a picture of my gear in the other thread if you're interested. The Scott is still upstairs with the corns and HT while the Fisher is in my workroom in the basement.

Neo,

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass for now.2.gif

Guest Anonymous

Gary, I have been away too long, CONGRATS, you told me your wife would NOT let you get those bad boys, I'm sure glad she did, hope you luvvin them2.gif3.gif and you must have done something good for the wife too11.gif huh? All I can say is I can't think of a more deserving guy than you, buddy.

Smilin for YOU baby10.gif

----------------

On 7/22/2004 9:34:53 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 7/22/2004 2:45:16 PM DTLongo wrote:

Tom

----------------

Tom,

I'm using a pair of Dynaco MkIII amps (highly modded by NOSValves), Blueberry Preamp, VPI HW19 MkIV TT and Sony 555ES SACD player. I will eventually give the fisher and scott a turn but probably not for a while. The MkIIIs deliver plenty of punch so I can't imagine ever needing or wanting a sub. There's a picture of my gear in the other thread if you're interested. The Scott is still upstairs with the corns and HT while the Fisher is in my workroom in the basement.

Neo,

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass for now.
2.gif

----------------

The Khorns must be a big difference soundwise after listening to Cornwall's all this time. I bet those Mark III's really make the Khorns sing?

D-man,

You won't get any heat from me for using silver. After I rewired my tonearm with van den Hul silver and used his silver interconnect to get to my preamp, I am a total convert. The clarity is there in spades.

Some people might find silver a little bright - it mercilessly reveals weak links (kinda like K-horns do).

Smilin - She owed me one! Timing is everything.12.gif It's great to have both the corns and the khorns. They both have their strengths and I love them both for different reasons. Thanks buddy. Hope all is well with you and yours.

D-Man - The Siltechs made me a silver believer! The additional clarity I get out of my TT is pretty remarkable, particularly with classical music. As long as Larry doesn't need the pair, he's being kind enough to let me use them. I'll probably purchase a pair when he needs them back.

Piranah - The MkIIIs/BB never sounded so good.1.gif I'd love to try out the VRDs though! (hint/Craig/hint)9.gif

Chris Robinson - As soon as I have a little more time with them I'd love to compare notes! I'd like to know what mods you've done that have proved worthwhile. I also need to check out what your sources are. I'll be in touch.

----------------

On 7/23/2004 6:24:31 PM garymd wrote:

Chris Robinson - As soon as I have a little more time with them I'd love to compare notes! I'd like to know what mods you've done that have proved worthwhile. I also need to check out what your sources are. I'll be in touch.

----------------

Gary, would be happy to share what I've done, but my mods have been few. Most of the work went to refinishing and regrilling so they were presentable. They were very rough when I got them.

The ALK's are wonderful and the difference is noticable. If Al can't condition the caps, get someone to do it for you. Or try the A-network. They are an improvement over the stock, IMHO. I lived with the stock for about a year before cutting over.

I can send you pix of what I did. Just shoot me an email.

Take care.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

----------------

On 7/21/2004 9:06:11 PM garymd wrote:

The sound is just huge. The imaging is amazing. Not a bad seat in the room either

----------------

Gary,

Congrats. Your observation is something that I also found to be true and was absolutely amazed. I just could not imagine that, say compared to LaScala, that the Khorn would/could produce a distinctively "bigger" sound. I suppose I would have expected the bass to be better, but genuinely surprised that the mids and highs would also be enhanced.

Gary

I rebuilt my AAs using Solen inductors, new caps, ECT, and I didnt hear much difference, I converted them back to stock quite a while ago.

Im even running stock wire here.

Klipschorns have the biggest sound, so it was hard for me to hear a difference.

Im currently running my Klipschorns on my Hafler P4000

2 channel, the Klipschorns are 29 years old all stock, and still going strong.

Regards Jim

9.gif