grrrrrrrr...kids....need suggestions on dimples

ygmn

I was listening to my RF7 last night...and I was watching left speaker...and the light was reflecting funny on cones...so I walk over...

and anger erupts in me....GRrrrrrrrr

I have some dimple marks in the black center dust caps...from little tiny kid fingers...grrrrrrrrrrrr.....

I tried ice to cool off material and have it contract out these dimples but no luck.....

they are not large....about the dieamter of well a small kids finger..(grrrrrr)...and about 1/8" deep....

I was thinking of trying those cans of compressed air bu turn upside down so very cold air comes out to frees material and have it contract.....

They are not loud enough to make sonic difference but if you get close and look.....grrrrrrr...they are noticable....and well...I want them perfect grrrrrrrr

Ain't kids the greatest things?9.gif I often wonder why kids just HAVE to push dust caps in. It seems to be something most are genetically predisposed to do. Just don't kill the little buggers, they do make nice tax deductions.1.gif

You might try a vac to suck the dust caps back out, but be careful - probably wise to bleed off a little suction first! Another option is to pull them back out with tape, or a pin if necessary.

Live with it or buy new drivers.

The RF series uses Cerametalic drivers which unlike paper based cones are very brittle. Any attempt to remove the dimples will result in an unrepairable tear. The dimples will have no effect on the sound but any effort to repair the dimples will almost certainly crack the cones.

If you need to have perfect cones you will need to purchase new drivers which will not sound any different.

When I purchased my first Klipsch loudspeakers being the KG5.5's my younger brother aged about 18 at the time walked into my living room, saw the speakers, and said 'wow!' I had the grills off of course.16.gif

He walked up to the nearest and placed his grubby meaty hands on the bottom driver and pushed it in and out. He said 'cool!'

That was the last word he ever uttered.7.gif

I took the driver out very carefully, and sponged it clean. From that day forth though, it was never perfect, bearing marks on it from my former brother's manipulations.

I sold the speaker a couple of years later. I wonder if the new owner ever found out why one of the speakers weighs so much more than the other?11.gif

----------------

On 7/24/2004 7:18:54 PM lynnm wrote:

Live with it or buy new drivers.

The RF series uses Cerametalic drivers which unlike paper based cones are very brittle. Any attempt to remove the dimples will result in an unrepairable tear. The dimples will have no effect on the sound but any effort to repair the dimples will almost certainly crack the cones.

If you need to have perfect cones you will need to purchase new drivers which will not sound any different.

----------------

The dustcap is not cerametalic. The ones on the RS7's I used to have seemed to be rubber. You should be able to pull them out.

If you decide to try the vacumm process, take a piece of screen wire (from window screen) and form a concave section on the vacumm cleaner hose. This will help limit how far the cap will get pulled in.

I really wouldn't want to risk it on that series of drivers though.

My 32 year old JBLs have the dust cap on the tweeters pushed in. You can't tell it, and I always have the grills on anyway. They are paper and only about 3/8" across. Once pushed in they aren't coming out. I think that is about the only thing one of my kids did when little. Maybe that's why one of them bought me a pair oa Heresies last year. 9.gif

Marvel

If the dimples are in the dustcap, not the copper colored cone itself, they will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the sound of the speakers. One of Murphy's laws is "If you mess with a thing long enough, you will break it." This is definately a case where, by attempting to fix a totally non-existant problem, you may create a *REAL* problem. The cone material in those speakers is notoriously easy to damage (dent / ding / crease) and while fiddling with the dust cap to try and pop out a little dent you could very easily hurt the cone.

Guest Anonymous

i don't understand the obession with puching dust caps in... i just can't comprehend why you would want to push them in, although i have no kids i have young nephews adn nieces and my b&w's have the tweeters mounted on the top as i'm sure many of you have seen before... but when they come over i am on pins and needels the whole time.... hehe everything else is mounter near the cieling though.... you can always use the hot glue method.... always protects the dust caps, just hot glue your speaker grills on... lol

I had a pair of bookshelf Boston HD-10 cabinets laying around before and did a DIY job on them using the RF-7 drivers. Unfortunately, they suffered a fall a while back and the driver went flying out of the cabinet. the screws ripped right thru the wood. The drivers dustcap had a major dent in it and the cone was rippled. i tried the tap and vacuam method, but neither helped so i took a wooden spoon handle and inserted it thru the back of drivers pole piece vent and gentley pushed out the dent. its barely noticeable now but the rippled cone is hard to deal with so i usually keep the grills on.

• Klipsch Employees

another way is glue. glue on a string pull out the dent and wash the glue off

elmers works

if you use super glue, you will need finger nain polish to get it off.

all in all it is not a problem

it will not change the sound

not until the cone is dented to the point the sourround is out of round will it change the sound.

Guest Anonymous

i see trey cannon is a fan of the doors, I hope you have invested in the dvd-audio l.a. women, it makes the doors sound so amazing, by far the best sounding dvd-audio disk in my collection....