The Village

WMcD

I recommend it as sort of an art film. Certainly not straightforward . . . which is good.

The boys gave it two thumbs-up. Perhaps for that reason.

I think it is about tigers in India. That gives away nothing.

Let us know what you think.

Gil

Signs could have gotten two more stars if the movie had ended 5 minutes earlier.

~ Spoiler alert (for Signs) ~

If the movie ended when the alien's reflection appeared on the TV screen it would have been great. The profound epiphany and 'faith reborn' ending spoiled my appetite for the day.

----------------

On 8/15/2004 1:39:29 PM Juba310 wrote:

I still think the Sixth Sense was his best work. The others are just "meh".

I've yet to see the Village though.

----------------

I thought the Sixth Sense was one of his films. I loved that movie and have been entertained by Unbreakable and Signs. I thought they were pretty decent.

No doubt, loved Unbreakable - what an original premise. I also liked Signs, though it was a bit more "hokey". I had not seen the Sixth Sense until just about a month ago - wow, what a film. Have yet to see the Village....

I think M. Night is a unique director, a bit on the "Hitchcock" vein....

Popbumper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The Village was good that it was different. The sound was great, really encompassing and deep bass and gave a sense of being there. (scare the s out of my wife) Like most M Knight movies, I will not watch many times over. though cool idea. Hitchcock is in a different league as of right now. My personal favorites are Vertigo, Rear Window or North by Northwest. IMO Sixth Sense was the best and the closest comparison. That said I hope M. Knight or others get there or best those films.

• Moderators

I've loved all his movies... esp. The Sixth Sense.

I watched The Village in the context of a Twilight Zone episode. That worked for me. I thought it was very well done, and just the right amount of creepiness.

In the vein of creepy, I also watched The Grudge recently. WAY too much creepiness and difficult/exhausting to watch. Over the top.

Has anyone seen Saw? I'm on a horror film binge, for some reason.

Be sure to rent Audition (in your foreign film section--Japanese).