FLAME WARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

thebes

It's summer, it' slow on the Board so let's spice things up.

What's your favorite hot sauce or other burning/spicy concoction?

I'll start with:

Anchor Bar Original Buffalo Wing Hot Sauce

From the restaurant that invented the buffalo wing in, suprise, Buffalo, New York.

So what get's you to reach for a pail of water, or better yet, a bucket of beer?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no idea the brand, but I used to get jamaican scotch bonnet pepper powder at this little booth in Quincy Market, Boston, MA - talk about the fire down below - the first time I tried this stuff, the booth guy gave me this tiny little spoon with a tiny little bit on the end - I was BEGGING for water within seconds....

Makes for a serious jerk seasoning mixed with a bit of sugar, coriander, black pepper, and dried garlic.

I've also used it in chili recipes - mix it right into the meat before cooking - usually about 2-3 tablespoons will fire up a pot with no effort.

I love trying different hot sauces. Unfortunately, most of them get caught up in "the heat" and forget about FLAVOR.

So for me...I've narrowed it down to TWO favorites. For everyday enhancement of food I go with Tapatio. This little blurb from their website says it all:

Give a kick to the taste of whatever you've got . . .

It's not too mild and it's not too hot . . .

Tap into the taste of Tapatío.

Tapatío Hot Sauce adds a kick to whatever you're craving!

Our special recipe enhances but never overpowers . . .

With the perfect balance between mild and wild!

Tapatío Hot Sauce is going to take your taste buds to another level

So Tap into the taste of Tapatío!

The other standby in the Gullahisland Household is the ubiquitous Tabasco. Anymore, I use it almost exlusively in my soup. Tabasco and Parmesan Cheese make ANY soup better. Clam chowder, chicken noodle, tomato, Italian wedding soup...It's ALL better with Tabasco and Parmesan2.gif

www.davesgourmet.com

DAVE'S GOURMET " INSANITY SAUCE "

Claims to be the hottest sauce in the universe .

I've made guy's cry like little baby's from little more then smelling this stuff , anyone coming to my house and claiming they can handle hot has been proved wrong .

" WARNING "

use this product one drop at a time !!! . Keep away from eyes, pets , and children.

Not for people with heart or respiratory problems .

Back of the bottle reads : Great cooking ingredient for sauces,soups and stews.

Also , strips waxed floors and removes driveway grease

stains !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif

----------------

On 8/19/2004 5:36:18 PM thebes wrote:

I'll start with:

From the restaurant that invented the buffalo wing in, suprise, Buffalo, New York.

----------------

Are buffalo style chicken wings 'national'? I don't have a good perspective, living less than 60 miles from Buffalo.

2.gif

And I don't like ANY hot foods. Acid reflux city! 14.gif

----------------

On 8/19/2004 8:43:08 PM Cleve wrote:

----------------

On 8/19/2004 5:36:18 PM thebes wrote:

I'll start with:

----------------

Are buffalo style chicken wings 'national'? I don't have a good perspective, living less than 60 miles from Buffalo.

2.gif

And I don't like ANY hot foods. Acid reflux city!
14.gif

----------------

There are a great many places that sell "Buffalo wings" - but none outside of the NE/NY area know how to do it right.

I`d love to try all of the above. They look great.

But....

Hotter does not mean better.

It just means HOTTER.

Now don`t get me wrong. I love hot sauce. Really hot. It`s just that I have found that your own concoctions are better than anything you can buy off the shelf. But I buy everything off the shelf too. How else would I know that.

They`re not bad. Just not you. Know what I mean?

And the girl?

I dream of a girl in a bottle like her.

Is her name Jeannie?

I'm with ya Dale, DAVE"S INSANITY is the best. My little bro runs a Mexican dive in the party part of Indy, so we've tried literally hundreds of sauces. A 8 ounce bottle is more than a lifetime supply.

Label states:

THE HOTTEST SAUCE IN THE UNIVERSE Shake well and good luck. Keep away from eyes, pets, and children. Not for people with heart or resperatory problems.

Here's how we let customers sample Daves. You take a single nacho chip. Just touch one corner to the tip of the bottle of Daves. Shake off any excess so it looks like there's no sauce at all on the chip. Let customer sample. Have the fire hose ready.

Actually with the hot sauces, water or liquids will not quench the fire. The heat comes from the capiscan of the habanero pepper, a type of oil that sticks to your taste buds. Bread or other absorbing foods are the best antidote to the fire.

www.davesgourmet.com

GOOD LUCK people,

Michael

I wouldn't believe this story either but I have it on video. I know 3 guys that drank a bottle of daves insanity each. There was $100 bet per man. One man after he drank it was beat red and throwing up and sweating like he got of a shower. The next day at work he came in with a roll of toilet paper and pooped in the woods cause he had the runs from Daves and the whole air in the yard smelled like Daves insanity hot sauce. Maybe next time Craig, I see you I'll bring the video and you can watch it.

I own a rather extensive hot sauce collection (a portion is pictured below) that I started back in 1995. I have about 130 bottles, 15 of which are duplicates of sauces I use daily. I have 20 sauces open and in the fridge for daily use at any given time. I Chose to display sixty of my sauces in the 2' x 4' case that I built shown in the picture below. The sauces in the case are made up of the world's ten-hottest sauces (circa 1999) and the rest are sauces I own that have the most unusual names, funniest names, or best flavor. Here are my personal choices from my daily-use category:

Favorite Extreme Hot Sauce: Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce (Pepper Extract)350,000 Scoville Units

Favorite Hot Sauce: Matouk's Hot Pepper Sauce (Habanero) 250,000 Scoville Units

Favorite Medium Sauce: Melinda's XXXXTRA Private Reserve (Habanero) 150,000 Scoville Units

Favorite Mild Sauce: Cholula (Pequin) 3,600 Scoville Units

BTW: Although, I love Dave's Insanity for both its heat and flavor, it is considered "Baby Food" when compared with the hottest sauces such as Blair's 6AM Private Reserve. Dave's Scoville (Heat) rating (approx. 350,000 units) falls well short of Blair's 11.5 to 15 Million Units! Blair's will burn your skin upon contact! I just collect it, but I would never consider using it.

For your reference: a jalapeno pepper averages about 5,000 Scoville Units of heat.

Scoville Reference: http://www.chemsoc.org/exemplarchem/entries/mbellringer/scoville.htm

July 28 2004 003-50.jpgpost-10177-13819257592232_thumb.jpg

I can't really handle the HOT stuff anymore, so I pretty much stick to Crystal or the Tabasco Green. One sauce that alot of folks don't seem to know about is the Chili Sauce at Wendy's (very mild). I don't really care for Wendy's chili but this sauce is awesome on fries especially and even on burgers or chicken. It is a bit strange looking though, clear w/ a slight yellow tint and it comes in those tiny packets like ketchup.

Dave

----------------

On 8/20/2004 1:16:11 AM NOSValves wrote:

Man you guys are really screwed up that's my little sister !----------------

Oh OK Craig, now I get it. So incest really is best. I always thought that was an old wives tale.2.gif Now I see where your daughter gets her good looks, because it's certainly not from you. 9.gif