Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 8/20/2004 10:08:56 AM Piranha wrote:

----------------

On 8/20/2004 1:16:11 AM NOSValves wrote:

Man you guys are really screwed up that's my little sister !----------------

Oh OK Craig, now I get it. So incest really is best. I always thought that was an old wives tale.
2.gif"
Now I see where your daughter gets her good looks, because it's certainly not from you.
9.gif"

----------------

Hey now were bringing my daughter into it LOL !!!!!

Craig: I've always said that Michigan girls are hot! Oops! I married a Nevada girl....um...er...they're even hotter! {save!}

By the way, the sauce below is called "Hot B*tch at the Beach! ...I'm serious!

saucebeach.jpg

Michael: Thanks for the good words. Yeah, I admit that I am hooked on the stuff.

Although, I do not have an actual chili recipe, we used to use French's Chili-o Mix. We can't seem to find it any more so I suspect they discontinued it. There are others out there from makers like Lawry's that are good, too. But, Chili-o was the best.

At any rate, no mater how the chili was made, I like to place one-to-three drops (depending on my mood) of Dave's Insanity along with several drops of any brand, green jalapeno sauce into my personal bowl of chili and stir it up really well. It'll be hot as Hell and taste great, too!

And, all kidding aside, for you "gringos" out there: If the sauce gets too hot to handle, the secret is: C-A-R-R-O-T-S ! ! ! Have plenty of them!2.gif

LOL-this thread brings back a funny memory. Back when my wife and I were first married, I was making dinner for the two of us and a friend on a Friday night. I was cutting up jalapeno peppers for the dish (fajitas?) when my brain stopped functioning properly and I wiped the corner of my eye with my hand. Needless to say, this wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done and I couldn't get rid of that pepper oil for the life of me. I tried washing it thoroughly in the sink, but to no avail. Eventually I had to jump into the shower to get the oil off my eye and face!!!! hahahahah My wife still teases me about it today!!! Wow did that burn!!!!!!!

dkp: A similar thing happened to me while we were having dinner at The Speedboat Bar, a local little dive in Wyandotte, MI on the Detroit River: (great food)

A little background: This is the place that originally introduced me to Dave's Insanity back in 1994 and got me started collecting. The bar has won the Michigan State Chili Cook-Offs for a seemingly endless number of years and one of the three owners is a "Chili-head" (one who collects hot sauce). So, at any given time, the bar has a bunch of different sauces for it's patrons to try.

One evening a few years ago, my wife and I and her brother were there for chili and bar burgers. The waitresses there always handle the little hot sauce bottles by holding them inside of a napkin, so they do not get the sauce residue on their fingers (very smart!). Well, I was using a sauce on my chili that is nearly as hot as Dave' Insanity. The sauce is called "Spontaneous Combustion". I placed about three drops on my chili and stirred it up really well. Half way through the bowl, I began to sweat (as usual). I dabbed the top of my head and brow with a napkin to remove the perspiration and then I made the deadly mistake of turning the napkin over to the side I had wiped my lips on and wiped the sweat around my eyes. HUGE MISTAKE!! 6.gif

It felt no less than somebody jamming an ice pick into my right eye. I could not open it for at least 1/2 an hour! Flushing it with water in the bathroom only made it worse. So I sat there, with everyone starring and smirking, trying to "enjoy" my food, while looking like I was doing a pathetic impression of Popeye! Damn, that hurt! 14.gif

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH Picky-that is too funny. I'm sure if my wife had a video camera and was home at the time that you would still be seeing re-runs of me on America's Funniest Home Videos!!!

I'm sure the sauce you got in your eye was even hotter. Ouch!!!!

David

JM said: "Tom you bastard, how did you get that picture of my wife???? She told me it was all over with you and her!!!"

Ok...what am I missing? I've looked this thread over top to bottom and I see no picture. Edited out maybe??

Picky - I'm with you on hot sauce. I don't mind the heat, but there's a point when it's just heat for the sake of heat. I prefer to have heat and flavor. And for that I have three stand-bys:

Melinda's XXX Reserve

West Indies Creole

Iguana XXX Habenero

I have a friend who carries several bottles of hot sauce with him everywhere. One morning at breakfast I said to the waitress, "Now to some folks, that (pointing to the eggs on Randy's plate) would be called scrambled eggs. To Randy it is merely a delivery vehicle for hot sauce." 9.gif

Tom

The original is still the classic cayenne for me: Frank's Red Hot. Though I have been enjoying some Louisiana stuff lately.

It still boggles my mind how many places can manage to **** up a chicken wing. Even around here I order them hot and they have all this damn butter in the sauce. Here's the correct way to make hot chicken wings (I do enjoy variations at home, but if you're a restaurant this the right way to do it):

Fry the damn wings at 350 - 375 for about 15 minutes, shaking occasionally so the wings don't stick together.

Throw em in a damn bucket with some damn Frank's Red Hot.

Shake em in the damn bucket.

Put em on a damn plate with some celery and decent bleu cheese.

Eat the damn wings and drink some damn beer.

----------------

On 8/19/2004 8:59:07 PM notneBvetman wrote:

Whatever your choice, please remember to not pick yer nose or rub yer eyes; as this will add much discomfort.

Benton

----------------

WHAT?!! NO NOSE PICKING?! forget it, then, I don't want any.

DM2.gif

Scott Bonnet's! The only way to go when making jerk sauce. A moist, rather then a true dry, rub is the best for jerk.

Picky, with all those hot sause bottles and chili around the house the methane your household produces could probably solve the energy crisis.

Frank's Hot Sauce, and from an upstater no less! Scandelous. Anchor Bar Original is my still my fave.

Nice collection, picky. And thanks for the tip on the carrots, never heard that one before!

We have probably 8-10 diferent hot sauces at home, running from your basic Franks and Tobasco to Blairs 2AM Reserve and Daves Insanity Sauce. I'd like to try Blairs 6AM Reserve at 16,000,000 Scovilles, I would guess one drop in a 2 gallon pot of chili would be plenty, but at $120, I think I'll pass for now.

Good wife story...

We'd just goten our first bottle of Daves Insanity Sauce, we were on a long weekend vacation and wanted to try it when we got home. I put a small drop on a chip and was prety impressed with the heat, though plain it was hard to get much of a flavor from it. My wife wanted to try it too, so she put on a full drop on a chip, big mistake for her. 30 seconds later she was standing in front of the fridge with a bag of frozen peas out of the freezer slapped on her tongue, we had no milk since we had been gone for a few days, I think she drank a gallon of water trying to get her mouth to settle down, to no avail. She'll still have it in chili or as an ingredient in a dish, but she learned the hard way that it's an ADDITIVE, not a dipping sauce!!

FYI...

www.mohotta.com

great selection and descriptions of hot sauces, rubs, shakes and what have you from all over the world.

On a related note:

I used to live on a family farm and was quite the avid gardener. Used to grow everything needed for totally homeade salsa, peppers, garlic, cilantro, maters, onions, everything. Got the wise idea to heat it up one year by adding some habaneros (the REALLY HOT peppers) to the crop.

Growing those little orange beauties was no problem, until it came time to bring in the crop. I knew from jalapenos and onions to do the trimming under water, so put on the rubber gloves and tried to do the same thing with my hot little beauties. After cleaning and prepping maybe a cup full, noticed a certain 'dry heat' in the room. My girlfriend stepped in and went into full-blown asthma attack. My eyes and windpipe started burning about then and we had to STEP OUTSIDE for fresh air. Enough of the dreaded hot oil must have leached into the air that it was burning our mucous membranes. Had to dump the whole crop and throroughly clean the kitchen after several days of airing it out. Don't know HOW they do this commercially, but I don't recommend anyone trying it at home!

----------------

On 8/20/2004 6:25:12 PM thebes wrote:

Scott Bonnet's! The only way to go when making jerk sauce. A moist, rather then a true dry, rub is the best for jerk.

Picky, with all those hot sause bottles and chili around the house the methane your household produces could probably solve the energy crisis.

Frank's Hot Sauce, and from an upstater no less! Scandelous. Anchor Bar Original is my still my fave.
----------------

Agreed on the moist rub, but Frank's is the original cayenne sauce for wings. It's what the old lady used on that famous night in question. The Anchor is wisely cashing in on its noteriety by marketing its own version.

We make Hab & Red Hab hot sauce every year by the gallons & let it age in spare refrigerators. It's really hard to keep any over 3 years old, because it's sooo much better than the "fresh". Some, I make eight times hotter than others. I've never been asked for any hotter. If you drink a 300,000 scoville unit sauce or hotter, understand that this isn't a challenge. I use it as a multi-purpose additive to sauces & foods.

I must drink whisky by the gallon to have bottles for pepper sauce.

SSH