way OT: Im very sad

Scp53

I just need to post this here. toaday my parents were going fishing and left the driveway running over my dog Lizzie- a springer. she broke her shoulder,leg and a paw. my dad came and told me and I never went over to really see. I stood at a distance. he had to put her down. I just killed me to see try to get up but fall down. god I loved that dog. f@#k. Im torn. she wasn't real smart but ****, I was attached to her. well this ruins my day. Im definately going to get another one. I want one thats around a springers size, but it doesn't need to be a springer.

Lizzie was 6 years old or so. maybe 7 yrs. dam i was attached... so many memories

scp538.gif15.gif

Sorry to hear that. I've lost two dogs over the years and it hurts like hell. The pound is a very good aprroach, just take your time because some have been abused badly and may not be able to overcome their problems even with love and care. The best dog I ever had, by the way, was from the pound.

Sorry to hear of you loosing your beloved Lizzie. I have a Belgian Malinois I would be devastated over if anything happened to her. I agree go to your local shelter to see what is available first that is how we got our dog. There are many great animals there that desperately need a good home and would give you all the love, freindship and joy they have in them for a chance to go to a loving family home. Again I am sorry you lost you dog this way. Myself I would wait a bit to let it wear off some if that is possible and then start looking because no two dogs are the same and the longer wait IMO will help you welcome your family member with open arms.

I too can emphasise. We had a stray kitten living under our porch for about a year before we were able to kidnap her kittens and bring them into the house.

As frightened as she was of humans she came in to care for her babies.

At the time we had several cats of our own and our place was the local hangout for several feline buds of various ages and sizes. In any event Baby got her name from the simple fact that when she first appeared she WAS just a babe and whenever my wife or daughter or I would mention her we referred to her as the baby. The description eventually became the name.

Baby spent the rest of her life with us but since she had been unable to bond with us in those crucial early months of her life the bonding process ( on her end ... We loved her from the first time we laid eyes on her ) developed over a period of several years.

In any event Baby became increasinly confident as the years went by and progressed from running into the basement and hiding for a couple of days when a salesman rang the doorbell to VERY VOCALLY ripping a strip off of one our friends for being late in feeding her while we were on vacation ( We had two friends lined up for the task and somehow dates had gotten confused).

Sadly Baby about a year ago developed a jaw cancer and our vet was kind enough not to tell us what he suspected when we brought her in for a bad tooth.The tooth was very bad and he removed it. Shortly afterward we became concerned about a swelling on her lower jaw and at that time Dr.Dempsey told us that he suspected that Baby had a cancer.

On Easter Sunday of this year Dr. Dempsey came to our/Baby's home and euthanised her at our request because we realised/accepted on seeing evidence of new symptoms that she could not recover and that her disease was at the point where her quality of life would soon deteriorate. We buried her under a Crabapple Tree where she often went to relax.

Neither my wife or I were able to go to work on Easter Monday. We were both emotional wrecks.

I can relate to your loss.

----------------

On 8/21/2004 11:25:07 AM Scp53 wrote:

god I loved that dog. f@#k. Im torn. she wasn't real smart but ****, I was attached to her. well this ruins my day. Im definately going to get another one. I want one thats around a springers size, but it doesn't need to be a springer.

----------------

I can so feel for you! I am sorry you lost your beloved friend and companion this way. I've lost to many animals such as this. The two that really stands out and still give me a tear all these years later are the following:

Back, when I was still living in Wisconsin, we had a black and white border collie mix named Muffin. I friggan loved that dog, and she was probably one of the cutest things I've ever seen. One nice spring evening, around Easter time, while my younger brother was coming out of the house, the dog bolted through the door and ran out into the street, where she got hit by a truck. I remember one of my brothers yelling that the dog just got hit while I was playing in the back yard. I remember running around the side of the house to find Muffin sitting in the driveway, wimpering. As I ran up to her, she fell down. The dog died in my arms. 8.gif Being at the tneder age of 10, I was devestated. I could not function at school the following day (and it was the last day before Easter break). Even after a good 25 years later, it still brings tears to my eyes whenever I think of that day.

The second time was I had this gorgeous, show quality pure-bred sheltie named Bozley (I know, what a name for a dog!). I remeber one fall day, tying him up outside behind the house. This was after we moved to Pennsylvania. After tying him up, I went off to one of my friends house to hang out (at this time I was around 13 years old). I never really gave the dog much attention after that, figuring I'll see him again when I get back. Later that evening, I was told by my father the dog got loose, tried to chase a car and eded up getting hit. My parents ended up having to put him down. Again, I was pretty darn devestated, especially since that dog was given to me as a birthday present on my 11th birthday (just before we moved from WI to PA). I remember my parents taking me to the breeder and letting me pick him out of the litter.

Yes, I know all to well how you feel. No one should ever have to loose a pet that way - so suddenly and tragically. I agree with what the others say. After some time, when you feel ready, go to an animal pound/shelter. There are plenty of animals that need a good home. Don't rush into it, do it when you feel you are ready to welcome the new member with open arms.

It's always hard to lose a best friend. Growing up on a farm, I lost several and it never gets any easier. You probably gave that dog a lot of love and that's more than many of them get. Let the grief pass and find yourself another.

SCP53,

I am sorry for your loss...I have lost 2 Labs - the last one about 2.5 years ago. I am buying a townhouse on Wednesday and I will begin the search for my next puppy. Fortunately, I am a member of a K9 Search and Rescue team so in the meantime I get plenty of 'dog-time" 9.gif . Another option for you when you begin your puppy search is a breed specific rescue group. Just google for the breed and your state and you should get a hit or two. Good luck.

Paul

www.atsar.org

I'm very sorry about your loss.

We had 2 of our dogs murdered by some sob hunter last December 26. right in the middle of an access road...bam bam. One though chest (died pretty quick I think) and Daisy (my favorite) shot in the rear section and left to suffer.

I am getting sad again just recalling this.

so sensless, so inhuman. If I'd caught them, SOMEONE would have been in a bodybag, either him or me.

couple months later..

Wife had a dream, "we got a puppy who's name is Otis"

So today, we have Otis. 2 days after his arrival he was back at Vet with parvo. More heartache, but he pulled through.

Grieve for your loved one, after while, get another and love again.

(Pic of Otis attached)

post-15072-13819257610152_thumb.jpg

That`s terrible.8.gif

When I was around 9 years old my Dad backed over our puppy Skippy. He felt awful and my brother and I cried all night. Accidents happen for no reason. I`m sure your Dad feels worse than you.

The guys are right though. Wait a few days or even weeks and take a trip to the pound. That`s where we got our beloved Sessie and I`m sure there`s a dog just waiting for a special owner just like yourself.1.gif

----------------

On 8/21/2004 11:15:28 PM Scp53 wrote:

thanks to all. I really do appreciate it. I agree that I should wait a while before I get a new dog.

scp53
15.gif8.gif

----------------

Bad luck there, Scp53. I think you should wait a little while. If you were that attached to your dog, you need some breathing space. Then when you feel able, take your time and select a puppy worthy of your old dog. That way you will really apprteciate your new dog and not try to compare.

thanks again for all the replys. I guess Im not the only one with a tradgic story.

It still hurts like a son of b!tch at times. some many memories. I just think, what if I d been out there when my dad left. maybe she wouldn't have been next to the truck. my dad REALLY feels bad. when he has to tell someone what happend he gets all choked up and teary eyed-crys too. he didn't think she was the best dog but h#ll, she was part of the family. now it seems like theres no comotion in the morning. no more waking up to see the dog stealing a sock. no more giving her milk left over in a cereal bowl. no more greating me when my mom, dad, or me get home(she always would come up to the car and shake her stub tail. then roll over and want to be petted. maybe even tinkle sometimes.), no more barking at neighbors, no more dog to put in the kennel, no more outdoor dinning(she loved to take her dog food dish outside and spill it every where.),etc. sh!t, I miss her15.gif

its not just that shes gone but just the fact of how she went- front tire rolled over he shoulder area. god, it just killed me to see her struggle. f@#k, hurts like hell. there are no words to describe what I felt then. heck, even though she was dumb(my dad always called her dumby, I really miss hearing that15.gif), I would have given up all my stuff for her. heck I like audio and biking but family and pets come WELL before it. I just wanted to scoop her up and just hold her. but her personality and the fact she was in pain(god I hope she wasn't in pain. to see someting you love suffer8.gif ) made her nippy and she wouldn't let you touch her. my mom put a blamket over her before my dad finished her off. I couldn't go see her. especially when my dad got the gun. when I heard the shot, f@#k- emotion COMPLETELY overwhelmed me.

sorry about all this writing.

scp5315.gif15.gif

It ALLWAYS hurts to loose a good dog. I have lost dogs to cars, disease and old age and it never is easy. We have lost 3 dogs in the last year and nearly lost a fourth. The first one had liver disease and it wasnt discovered until too late. The second was to old age as was the third, she was the hardest one to loose in this round of losses. She was my 90lb baby. We got her from a breeder that was reducing stock. She was 6 years old when we got her and we had her until she was 13 years old, VERY old for an Akita. I couldnt bring myself to take her in to be put down for a long time. She had cancer and had stopped eating and one morning I saw her stagger into the bathroom to greet me, she could hardly stand, I broke down and took her in to the vet right then. That was VERY hard to do. I had lost another Akita to BLOAT. This is a very painful way to die. The stomach turns over and traps gas, this places pressure on the diaphragm and makes it hard to breathe. The dog dies of shock in great pain. We had let him outside after dinner but he didnt come inside that night, he sometimes did that so there wasnt any concern. The next morning, he still didnt come. I went looking for him and found him dead next to the garage with his stomach twice the size of his chest. I cried for hours (I was about 40 years old at the time)

The dog we have now we nearly lost to bloat. He came into our bedroom, something that he didnt do much and laid down. A wrong number on the phone woke me up in the middle of the night and I heard him softly crying, he never cries. I got up to check and his stomach was half again the size of his chest! I got dressed and rushed him to the emergency animal clinic where he had emergency surgery. It was touch and go for a couple of days and cost over $2000 but it was worth it, he is a GREAT dog (another Akita, what can I say, I love the breed)

One day he too will pass on and there will again be a hole where he was in our lives. We may get another dog or we may not but you will ALLWAYS have the great memories of them and they will always stay in your heart. No two dogs are the same and you will never be able to replace any one with another but they are truly a joy in our lives.

You might consider getting your next dog from a RESCUE group if you have a particular breed in mind. Young dogs (age 1 to 3) and older dogs make great companions as they may have had a tough life and appreciate a loving owner. They will make you glad you chose them!

scp, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. As heartaching as it hurts right now, Lizzie will always be with you in thought and memory the rest of your life. The pain goes away and you remember the good and carry those thoughts with you always.

here's a site that helped me out during a tragic time in December.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

You take care now. Hamish