New K-horns...Help me get over the edge

rmaustin

Help me,all my fellow Klipsch Warriors.Im about that far from ordering a 2004 set of k-Horns from my local klipsch dealer.6,000 bigs ones plus sales tax.Of course they will have to be ordered and I was informed by my dealer that it would take at least four weeks to take delivery.I've got cornwalls and heresy,s at the moment which I truly love the sound and performance of each of those Heritage models.Really,to sum it up,Im not getting any younger at 42 and I have always wanted and planned on gettig a pair of K-Horns.I have never heard a pair of these in my life but, as I understand the praise from you on this forum and also in the audio field concerning the K-Horns and the fact I love the sound of My heresy's and cornwalls,I know I can't go wrong here.Please push me over the edge so I can most likely enter the real sound of music.A side note,the K-Horns will be amplified by a McIntosh MC-402 (400x2) not a tube amp and a Denon Pre/Pro.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do it, and don't listen to anyone telling you not too. This will be the last set of speakers you ever buy. Screw eBay -- support Hope.

Nice McIntosh. You sure won't need 400 watts. Sell it, and put some of the proceeds towards the K-horn purchase.

----------------

On 8/30/2004 10:25:31 PM rmaustin wrote:

Help me,all my fellow Klipsch Warriors. Im about that far from ordering a 2004 set of k-Horns from my local klipsch dealer.

----------------

Well rmaustin. You've posted on a forum full of Klipschorn addicts. Do you really expect an unbiased opinion here? Seriously, at 48 years old, I have owned or borrowed or seriously auditioned nearly every speaker known to human kind. Everything from the tiny Rogers LS3/5a, Spendors, to Avantgarde Uno's and Duo's, to Martin Logan's electrostatic wonders. Each and every speaker had something I liked about them. Some of them had a lot I liked about them.

But there was always something that got in the way. Either they just didn't go loud enough (the LS3/5a), didn't image properly, had poor dynamics at low levels, highly amplifier sensitive, or were just too damn expensive for what you get (Anyone can make the worlds best sounding speakers if you throw enough money into the equation).

But the mighty Klipschorns. Now there's another story. These speakers have everything. Smoothness, incredible dynamics, glorious soundstage, great tone, amplifier friendly, and have a very high wife acceptance factor (unbelievable considering the size!). And they're cheap too! - hey, this is relative remember - but if Klipsch make anything on this loudspeaker, I'd be very surprised. You still can't get such high end sound for nothing, somewhere you have to pay - even the ridiculous price Klipsch ask for the Klipschorn.

The Klipschorns are speakers that can be all things to all people. They pander to the SET enthusiasts, push pull tube fanantics, and the solid state/home theatre guru's. All at once. No other speaker can do this.

I now own a pair. Frankly they are the best loudspeakers I have ever heard in my home. BAR NONE! Forget all the horn speaker bashing that goes on. The people who make such comments have no idea what they're talking about. They've probably never heard properly setup Klipschorns at full throttle. These people have no concept of the sheer power and dynamics, and yes, believe it or not, the delicacy and fine detail that these speakers are capable of reproducing.

Once you buy the Klipschorns, you will NEVER want to change them. They will spoil you for any other loud speaker.

Therefore I counsel you to consider carefully this next step. It will forever change your life, your future listening pleasure, and your perception about the abilty of any other speaker to truly and faithfully reproduce recorded music.

Well, rmaustin. Are you brave enough? Are you ready to take up this challenge? Go on, rmaustin. Make my day! 3.gif

if you know that you already like the sound of klipsch horn speakers then the eventual goal HAS to be Klipschorns. If you have a room with corners and are willing to possibly have to upgrade your amplification after getting the klipschorns then I say do it a.s.a.p.! many have couseled considering used, I agree with them, many used but VERY well kept klipschorns come up for sale on ebay, etc. you can save many thousands (which you may be able to put into amplification and cables) and have virtually the same speakers as new. all of us who had to decide to "pull the trigger" on k-horns had a moment of indecision, not ONE of us (that I am aware of) regrets acquiring k-horns. warm regards, tony

RMAUSTIN........You,l never regret it. Its also a tweekers dream. You can do alot of revising one month and the next put it back in its original configuration. You can change drivers & xovers to sound like the older 1950,s Khorns & change back to the present. Its quite an expierence. some here wouldnt think of messing with it. But you cant break it. So go for it & have fun.

You will not regret it. Alot of money but it's a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. These will please you and you will never need to get another speaker ever...

It's actually an investment in relaxation and enjoyment.

...And they're only going to get more expensive in the future, too...so getting them now is a good idea when you look at it that way!

DM2.gif

As a potential future Khorn owner, what would be the benefit of say spending $6k on a 2004 model Khorn, when i can get a Late 80's model for $1400-1500 and have the crossovers modified? Is the newer Khorn have a better tweeter? better driver materials? Better damping and internal cabinet materials?

Nah get a Bose wave radio...

Ah Hell I can't even keep a stragiht face if I had the means I would love some new khorns and some new tube gear hell go nuts.

The hardest lesson for me was that if you have a budget forget it lol.....

It took me a while to find out why Khorns are still made and loved after all these years - without any significan changes. People have been voting with their ears and have opened their wallets for Khorns - me included. There are only few other audio gear that come close to my mind that I would call them the "keepers" such as - Marantz 8B, HK Citation II, some of the old tube Mac amps, etc.

If you can afford it buy them new, do it. As it was said here before, there's no big sonic differences in new vs. old. However, if I had known I would be taken by these babies as much as I have been, I would have bought them new also.

Ki

Nice ones, really nice ones are going to run close to $3K. Then you have to deal with the shipping nightmare, or worse, an eBay nightmare. If you have to rent a trailer and drive halfway across the country, you have time away from work. $3K quickly turns into close to $4K, and now you're $1500 away from a brand new set, with new veneer, no scratches, new drivers and the newest network.

A couple of warnings about acquiring Khorns:

It becomes very hard to sleep after you get them! Why go to bed when you can stay up and listen to your now incredibly fantastic stereo? Despite the fact that they are all in the same product line, the Khorns will stun you with how much better they are than the Corns and Heresys. (I own all three models.)

Also, after you become addicted to the Khorns there is also very good chance you will end up getting addicted to some silly speaker manufacturer's forum!9.gif

Personally, I don't regret any of it!3.gif