What Finish/Veneer are these?

Frzninvt

Frzn, they are walnut, but the tops are an unusually well-mirrored matchstick with a branch cross section, giving that nice geometric pattern. The lighting also overexposed the tops in the photo, so my first thought was teak.

If anyone on the board wants to chase after these, my wife's best friend's husband and his brother have a small goods shipping company in Frisco, and they would be able to crate and transport them to the Frisco Air Transport for a fee. The HK Citation they packed for me made it here yesterday in identical condition as before shipping, so they did a good job for me. I'd be glad to forward the contact info if anyone is interested, and you could arrange everything to your satisfaction.

$1600 BIN for a good set of WO Belles with that grain and pattern is a solid deal.3.gif

----------------

On 9/18/2004 2:10:20 PM nicholtl wrote:

How do Belles stack up to Khorns in the general hierarchy of things?

I live in CA, and I got the $1600, but I ain't got the space...

----------------

if you can't get k-horns the belles are the next best thing.

KB-BR= Klipschorn, type B- Birch,Raw. They have a walnut stain and some finish on them. They are ripe for a rosewood veneering!3.gif3.gif3.gif

$1600 someone should be pleading with the wife right now!!!!!!!9.gif

Rick

OOps! I saw $1600 and southern Cal and thought about the Khorns I had just seen on ebay. the buyer said he would end the auction early for $1600. It's gone now so I guess someone bit! My Bad!!!!15.gif

----------------

On 9/18/2004 4:29:48 PM DeanG wrote:

"...if you can't get k-horns the belles are the next best thing."

Why is that?

----------------

Because they look 10 times better then that grade 7 shop class look of the lascala .

If the heritage line is what floats your boat then i'd take the belle right after the khorn.

On the " WOODGRAIN " issue !! i truely wish people who are advertising and talking about matching grain speakers would use the proper terms.

When grains match it is called " bookmatched " Not matchbooked or bookmated or matchsticked or any of the other misguided terms being used on e-bay and audiogon.

Bookmatched means " MATCHING " or the " SAME " , you know ? like one page of a book is the same size as the other " thus " they are the same or closely matched to one another.

It's a slang term , so when you get it wrong it's a nothing term.

Whats matchbooked or matchsticked suppose to mean ? they burn at the same rate ?

----------------

On 9/18/2004 9:55:02 PM Dale W wrote:

Bookmatched means " MATCHING " or the " SAME " , you know ?

----------------

I would take that definition one step further and add (my understanding) of "bookmatched" which is wood grain with a mirror image of the other panel... usually from two sequential slices that were originally facing each other in the tree. Kinda like opening a book... but what you find is the same grain in a mirrored form.

The beauty of this is that it works with veneers (which are very thin and have almost the same grain through and through) as well as planks (which the grain isn't the same on both sides).

It's a sign of fine woodworking... but is most important with woods with strong grain patterns like Walnut.

Definitely a common misspelled / misunderstood word with eBay sellers. It is not as bad as the fellow who just sold his K-Horns on Ebay WITHOUT mentioning that they are covered in plastic laminate with an imitation wood pattern. 14.gif Definitely won't be a happy buyer...

Rob

Dale, some Amish mastercraftsmen use bookmatched or matchbooked to indicate there is a single flipped set of two identical veneer panels. Matchsticked veneer indicates there are two or more sets of flipped(mirrored) veneer panels.

The former looks exactly like a book when you open it, the latter looks like a sleeve of wood matches sitting in a box. Whatever term is used, in this case the proper description is "absolutely gorgeous!"3.gif