I just have to ask, Polk Audio

Spanky

I know this is the Klipsch Forum, But I have to ask this on behalf a friend.

Polk audio speakers here in Australia are a little cheaper than the Klipsch speakers and this will suit his lower budget for his setup, I've tried to convince him up to Klipsch, But his budget is at it's limits now.

So what is everyone's thoughts on Polk Audio?

I must admit I have listened to there car speakers (I work in the Car Audio industry) and I thought they were decent, But for some reason (and I don't know why) I could never bring myself to trust or like there product, Am I wrong?

Is he spending his money wisely or is he better off saving for another 6 months and purchasing Klipsch?

Thanks.

Polk make a very fine product IMO their tweeter sound has always been one of the cleanest around and a fine soudning spealker overall. I think they a marked distance behind Klipsch, B&W ... but for a moderately priced systems you freind shoould enjoy them quite abit.

i have had polk in house, they were my speaker of choice before i found klipsch, i had the 2 of them at the same time in house before i sold the polks, i can say from experience that the polks are closer in sound to synergy than reference, so if you like the more muffled synergy sound than you'll like polk, but they are not on line sonically to reference, maybe surpass reference build wise, but sound wise, no way

Well his use is like mine - Strictly home theatre use, A few dealers have said that thought the Klipsch speakers were a little quality overkill for just home theatre work, As we are both not interested in playing music through these systems, I have another system for that in the living area.

I will admit he is trying to convince me to purchase a Polk system as well so we will get a better deal through the local dealer, He has offered us a good price on a full Polk system, consisting of R-50 fronts/CSi3 centres (F & R) and a pair of FXi-3 surrounds and a PSW-505 Subwoofer.

But like I said I'm still not convinced by Polk, I don't know why as I have heard there car speakers and there were impressive (I use MB Quart in my car now and they are impressive) But I'm torn, I like the Klipsch, but the thought of a Floor stander fronts and a 12" sub for my system makes me think the Polk option may be better, And the reviews for POLK seem pretty good.

Am I turning to the dark side of the force?

Oh enlightened members of this Forum, Please guide me towards the path of sonic truth.

I guess I'm gonna buck the trend.I had a 2k set of Polks and when I auditioned the rf7's I was amazed how much better the 7's were at the same price.Polk left me very unimpressed and a little bit pissed when I sold them for 1/2 price after 1yr.

----------------

On 9/26/2004 1:59:28 AM Spanky wrote:

Well his use is like mine - Strictly home theatre use, A few dealers have said that thought the Klipsch speakers were a little quality overkill for just home theatre work, As we are both not interested in playing music through these systems, I have another system for that in the living area.

I will admit he is trying to convince me to purchase a Polk system as well so we will get a better deal through the local dealer, He has offered us a good price on a full Polk system, consisting of R-50 fronts/CSi3 centres (F & R) and a pair of FXi-3 surrounds and a PSW-505 Subwoofer.

But like I said I'm still not convinced by Polk, I don't know why as I have heard there car speakers and there were impressive (I use MB Quart in my car now and they are impressive) But I'm torn, I like the Klipsch, but the thought of a Floor stander fronts and a 12" sub for my system makes me think the Polk option may be better, And the reviews for POLK seem pretty good.

Am I turning to the dark side of the force?

Oh enlightened members of this Forum, Please guide me towards the path of sonic truth.

----------------

Why can't you both go into your Klipsch and try to work a better deal because both of you will be buying?

That is not my commentary against Polk becuase I have no opinion but maybe just an option for both of you to get the opportunity to own Klipsch speakers.

Polk is fine for the money. For what its worth, heres a little inside info though. Years ago my brother-in-law bought some Polk speakers (against my recommendation). After about a year one of the bass drivers blew. He switched to Klipsch. Still has them, never a problem. In another situation, I was speaking with high-end amplifier manufacturer, Krells owner & CEO Dan DAgostino at the Consumer Electronics Show some years ago. He mentioned that he & his wife enjoyed ballroom dancing. They attended ballroom dancing events where he brought along the sound system. He was using Polk speakers but kept blowing drivers. Eventually he switched to Klipsch (Fortes if I remember correctly) and never had a problem after that.

One of the old Klipsch mottos: Here today, here tomorrow..

Eventually your friend is probably going to spend the extra money anyway.

I have a friend that used to own Polk speakers driven by Sony. He had blown drivers in the Polk system. His ex got the Polk speakers in the divorce.

He now has a Klipsch system that I made him a "deal" on. He is very happy with Klipsch. There have no blown drivers with the Klipsch, but he did have to tighten the speaker terminals due to a loose connection.

Bill

Well I went in to the local dealer and had a listen, they were OK, but not a set of Klipsch, I will say the Subwoofer was plenty loud but seemed to just make a one tone thump, My friend put his money on the table, I on the other hand.......

Walked away, For the little bit extra it will cost me to purchase the Klipsch is well worth it, I may not be getting front floor standers but the sound quality trade off was not worth it.

I knew there was a reason I didn't trust POLK.

----------------

On 9/26/2004 1:59:28 AM Spanky wrote:

But I'm torn, I like the Klipsch, but the thought of a Floor stander fronts and a 12" sub for my system makes me think the Polk option may be better,

----------------

Like the old saying goes...."Never mind the quality, feel the width".

You made a good choice Spanky, walking away from the Polk deal. You obviously aspire to something better, so it was a no brainer to go with the quality option - Klipsch.