Let's Build a Driver Test Box

BEC

I don't have any drawings for the motorboard.  I took the horns and woofer to a cabinet shop and the dimensions were input directly into a CNC router.  I did not get a copy of a drawing.

Bob

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest David H

bump for folks interested in CornScala development, credited to Bob Crites with this 'Test box' thread.

Good call on the bump, this thread has to much good info.

Now that I haave been up half the evering reading all the posts pertaining to the test box. Most of the information I read was way over my head, but I get the indication that if it sounds that good to you, it has to be good without a whole lot of further tinkering. If you would be so kind to answer a few questions, (1) was there any resolution to the padding issue, again you were satified with the carpet padding. (2) what is the dimension of the top cabinet, assumming I will be purchasing your woofer/midrange/tweeter and crossover. (3) If sealed properly can you use screws to attach the back of the bass bin, and if a back is required for the top cabinet, can you use screws? (4) is the internal bracing necessary?

I have prices the material: 3/4" Russian made 11 ply birch is $51 for 5x5 sheet, 3/4" MDF is $24 for 4x8 sheet. I know they will be heavy but once placed I'm going to nail them to the floor, and just real careful moving around during construction. Going to use pocket hole for attaching with foaming glue to help seal.

If I am assuming wrong, please correct me.

Thanks

CB

Nail them to the floor? Isn't that a little overkill?

I have a question. This was designed to test speakers while they are being rebuilt, so the 400 hz crossover was used to match the K Horn.

I'm sure that this has been done, but building a Tractrix horn and crossing over at maybe 600 hz to lighten the load on a 1" driver seems to make sense.

I also guess that somebody had already made a 2 way. How high can the bass bin go without falling apart?

Guest David H

I also guess that somebody had already made a 2 way. How high can the bass bin go without falling apart?

Because this is a ported box, the box and port really doesn't dictate top end frequency response like a horn loaded box would. This would depnend on the woofer.

CB,

The padding has not changed since I first put it in only one of the cabinets. I listen to these every day and have actually forgotten which one has the padding. Guess it makes little or no difference.

On the "test box" speakers, the top of the motor board just extends up 11 1/4 inches above the bass bin.

My cabinets sealed perfectly without any sealing material or gaskets. Just MDF to MDF. These are, though, very precision cut on a CNC router.

No bracing in these. But, MDF is very stable and non-resonate. Might be different with plywood.

Bob

Overkill, never. As you can see from the attached; Up here in the mountaians of GA this is what we call the REDNECK MODEL of the Cornscala. And if you nail the Cornwall to the LaScale that eliminates a lot of them unwanted sound waves or vibrations that you guys talk about.

post-32367-13819427876406_thumb.jpg

Overkill, never. As you can see from the attached; Up here in the mountaians of GA this is what we call the REDNECK MODEL of the Cornscala. And if you nail the Cornwall to the LaScale that eliminates a lot of them unwanted sound waves or vibrations that you guys talk about.

BOB, I see it's time for an intervention. Warm up the cigars, chill the booze and start up the dancing girls. I'll be up in the next couple of weeks.

when nailing them to the floor, make sure to use stainless steel nails, else'n Bob'll GITcha

Bob and Michael drink a shite-ton of coffee

Any thoughts to possible issues caused by using a cubic container for the bass on the original version? There are still two 24" dimensions in the final versions are there not?

"Dick Moore, a former employee, examined the Theil Equations (became available about 1975) and told me I had missed the optimum design by about 3%."

That wouldn't be too bad considering the Cornwall was conceived way before the days of Theil/Small, would it?

Back in 1985, my wife and I spent a day with PWK (what a gentleman he was). We were in the library with he and Jim Hunter. You should have seen the huge grin on PWK's face when I mentioned that he had done a 4th order electrical filter analogy of the Cornwall's bass reflex design in 1958 (It's in the Klipsch papers),fully 3 years before Thiele did it. The look on his face told me that I was probably the first person to notice that and tell him about it in person. It tookd about 13-17 years before the AES published Thiele's bass reflex alignment charts, so PWK was really the first to do this, not Thiele.

The Cornwall is very close to a Thiele QB3 alignment Quasi-Butterworth 3rd order design..........the one with lowest distortion.