Please give suggestions for tube amps

Benzima

Ok, it's me again. I've been doing some reading and some thinking. I'm satisfied with my Sony STRDA4ES performance in HT so I've decided to invest some money towards my 2 channel audio instead. I want to experience the tube phenomenom that my fellow Khorns are always raving about. Can you guys please reccommend a couple of great tube amps in the under $1000 price range? In the under $2000 price range? I will still be able to use my 16-46PCi SVS subwoofer, right? I'll order the ALK type "A's" this week and maybe look into upgrading my wires too.

Thanxxx in advance.

New or used?

Seperates or Integrated?

If sepearates what will you be using for a preamp?

Will you be using both a Turntable and CD or just CD player or TT?

What kind of music do you listen to and how loud?

I'm lost or just tired, but are you going to use Khorns and if so why the sub?

My system for the last couple of months has been a Juicy Music Peach Preamp and a pair of Nosvalves VRDs. I am VERY HAPPY with this setup. I do not plan on upgrading electronics (ok I want a new CD player) anytime soon.

Before this setup I was using a modded AES-AE3 preamp. I was also using Wright Sound WPA 3.5 SET amp. Again I was happy, but this BB has caused me to be an upgrade junky.

I don't want to get into a debate about SET vs PP. They both do things very well. I do like having the extra watts when I have had a few too many beers and I want to rock the house.

I am sure you will get many good suggestions.

Danny

I'm currently running a used Jolida SJ202A tube amplifier. Rated around 40 watts per channel, but in reality puts out around 20. Nice amp with very good mid band. Not too bad in the bass either. I think you can get a new version (called the Jolida JD202B) for under $1000 in the U.S.

Here's a picture...

Sj-302.jpg

New or used? Either

Seperates or Integrated? Either

If sepearates what will you be using for a preamp? Sony STRDA4ES or ???

Will you be using both a Turntable and CD or just CD player or TT? Just CD/SACD (Sony DVPCX777ES / Sony DVPS9000ES)

What kind of music do you listen to and how loud? R&B, Jazz, Pop, a little Rap a little classical, almost anything except country. As for sources, I don't buy much music. Recntly, the thing that got me back into listening to music is the music channel via DirecTV beleive it or not. Seems very clean and lots of variety.

I'm lost or just tired, but are you going to use Khorns and if so why the sub? Yes, will use Khorns. I like using the Khorns with my SVS subwoofer 16-46PCi (powered). Is that uncommon?

Thanxxx again to all.

I agree with mdeneen -- using the preamp section of your receiver will just about completely nullify any sonic benefits from running a tube amp. You're better off buying a nice tubed preamp and running some mediocre solid state behind it until you can afford a tube amp.

Wow, you have really left the floor wide open on tube amps. It's kind of like asking the board to make suggestions on what car to buy. The options and opinions are endless. If possible, you really need to listen to some different amps before buying to determine what "sound" you like. The best test would be to home audition the amp(s), although not alway possible. Try friends and audio shops.

Your price range will get you a really nice amp or amps. You do not have to spend what I refer to as stupid money to get a nice tube sound (or any sound for that matter). You have the option of a SET or push-pull amp, new or used and even vintage amps. For under the $2000 mark, you might want to consider a McIntosh MC240. This is a wonderful warm amp and will compliment any speaker and especially ones with horns. You can even go the kit route from Bottlehead.com to Welbornelabs.com

As you see, you have opened Pandora's Box here. Take your time, do your research and in the end you pick what you like. The upside is you can always move to something else later. Nothing written in stone here. Have fun

~ Art is for the mind / Music is for the soul ~

In a nutshell, make it simple by purchasing a vintage integrated (Scott 299)thats been gone through or have it gone through by NOSValves. If you like what your hearing then I would suggest the upgrade path from there. That being the most cost affective approach, as you can always sell the integrated for what you paid for it.

Tom

----------------

On 10/26/2004 8:14:36 AM Erik Mandaville wrote:

~ Art is for the mind / Music is for the soul ~

As an artist and an art teacher, I have to mostly agree! I very much think, feel, and believe that art and music touch both.

----------------

I agree with Erik. Art -AND- music feed the soul. IMO music would appeal more to the mind compared to the visual arts as music is related to and is dependent on mathematics and is firmly based in the physical world.

The visual arts are based on, well, nothing and everything (can I get away with that?).

Music can't avoid being mathematical, or it's no longer music, it's just noise. The visual arts, however, can completely be void of anything "sensible".

I have an art degree and I can't paint without music.

Actually, I can't even live without music.

DM2.gif

Thanxx for your input but I am seeing I had the wrong idea about a few things. Let me rephrase my questions. I think my real questions should have been:

I have a set of Khorns. What else do I need in order to experience and enjoy 2 (or 2.1)channel audio via tubes? I'm willing to spend up around, A) $1,000 B)$2,000. I listen to mostly R&B, Jazz, a little Pop, a little classical and even a little Rap. My Khorns have great bass but I really like the added bass given by my SVS 16-46PCi subwoofer and I'd like to incorporate it into my music system. I understand that everyone tastes are different and that there is nothing that everyone likes, so what I'd like are a few of the more popular pieces of equipment I need.

Thanxxx again.

----------------

On 10/26/2004 7:26:35 PM D0N wrote:

IMO its like drinking water out of a wine glass vs. a tupperware glass. They both get the job done well.

Close your eyes and you can't tell the difference.

----------------

Water! Good God, man. Why waste a perfectly good wine glass!!!