• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 10/28/2004 5:05:28 PM Guy Landau wrote:

On 10/28/2004 4:28:51 PM mike stehr wrote:

6SN7 in a mini-bottle----------------

Exactly. And it's one of the best phase splitters around.

----------------

Say's who ?? They also say the 6SN7 is the best preamp tube I beg to differ. I like tubes that start with 12 !

----------------

On 10/28/2004 4:35:31 PM thebes wrote:

Very cool work Craig. You've really got the touch for this stuff.

You mentioned Jolida but how do they stack up to the Scott 299's and say your VRD or are these animals of a different sort?
----------------

I try not to compare integrated amps to power amps. Its just not fair. A good power amp with a nice preamp is always going to win but then it should you will end up with at the very least double the money in the setup. No this will not compete sonically with the VRD but then again it doesn't cost over 2 grand.

Craig

----------------

On 10/28/2004 6:39:48 PM Marvel wrote:

Yo Craig,

Is that the st-70 board from Roy at Tubes4hifi?

Looks pretty slick installed. How much wider is that board under the chassis than the stock ST-70 board?

Marvel
----------------

Yup it is with some tweaking on my part in fact I'm not done yet. He is going to do some custom stuff when I get done changing things to suit my needs. It's a good measure wider then the original I think about 2" but I have never actually measured it. If you would like me to measure it I will just let me know. The final board will be green and have complete stenciling for parts placement and he will sell it on his site for the DIY folks (the stenciling will be his values not mine). I just do complete rebuilds for people that want it done for them but as always anyone around here or the other sites I hang out at needs advise just email me. I will share my secrets privately (to many competitors hanging around to do it publicly if you know what I mean).

Craig

RI -- aren't you tired of being banned? What, working on your 8th or 9th time now?

When are you going to change the name of your website so I can start using my signature again? I mean, couldn't you come up with something original?

• Klipsch Employees

No need talking to RI, he can't see your post or even the forum now...

He is banned.

This is one of thoes times where you must think about what you ask for.

He ask to be removed from this forum. So now he is, but he keeps coming back.

...and we keep removing him...

I will say that his post in this thread was a nice one. (make that realy nice, being made to Crig)

BTW: SS RULES!!!11.gif

What a difference a few hours of tweaking in the afternoon can make I did some fine tuning and put the ST70 through its paces on the scope and with my Sound Technologies distortion analyzer. Below are the square wave results man I have to figure a way to get clear shots of these 5.gif The distortion is less then a 1/2 % from 1 watt to 5 watt and then slowly rises to a max of just a hair over 1% at full output.

20Hz

ST70_20Hz.jpg

100Hz

ST70_100Hz.jpg

1Khz

ST70_1Kz.jpg

5Khz

ST70_5Kz.jpg

10Khz

ST70_10Kz.jpg

15Khz

ST70_15Kz.jpg

20Khz

ST70_20Kz.jpg

----------------

On 10/29/2004 4:43:02 PM Painful Reality wrote:

Craig, might I suggest that whenever you post scope shots, you put both the feed signal and the amplified signal. Having both will also indicate the level of phase shift. ----------------

why don't you post some ?

----------------

On 10/29/2004 5:20:36 PM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 10/28/2004 8:21:58 PM NOSValves wrote:

Say's who ?? They also say the 6SN7 is the best preamp tube I beg to differ. I like tubes that start with 12 !

----------------

So what about the 12CG7?
9.gif

----------------

I'll get right on it! How many amps are you going to pre order ?

----------------

On 10/29/2004 5:38:36 PM NOSValves wrote:
awhy don't you post some ?

----------------

Because I don't believe that a shot of a square wave or sine wave will mean a lot of thing when it come to what explaining what I'll hear. We already had this discussion in the past. I'm not sure it would bring anything good to have it again.

But IF I would post some of those scope shots, I'd put the feed signal so someone interested could have some infos other than seeing just "how square" looks the square wave. I'd also post the volt/division. Quite interesting to know if one want to interpret the results. Though in this actual case here, I'll confess that it would be hardly useful...

Initially, my post wasn't meant to be offensive. Seems you took it the wrong way.

I didn't take it offensively at all. I do however think your posting in a thread or about something in the thread you find as useless information and then telling me how I can make it usefull to be pretty ridicules. I think you have no clue what square waves can and can not do. It would absolutely surprise me if you own anything beyond a Multi Meter and a Soldering Iron which mind you there is nothing wrong with that in and of itself. But what your doing here is blantantly obvious.

Craig

----------------

On 10/29/2004 8:09:32 PM NOSValves wrote:

It would absolutely surprise me if you own anything beyond a Multi Meter and a Soldering Iron which mind you there is nothing wrong with that in and of itself. But what your doing here is blantantly obvious.

----------------

Craig, uh, I think he still has the keys to the university labs ... I know he was using it when he was working on my Pantheon pre-amp.

Hey, he's a peace-loving French Canadian. He's not a Yankee from Brooklyn looking to pick a fight 9.gif