NOS Valves ST70 Mod Package

NOSValves

My latest Dynaco ST70 modification package. I've been meaning to get to this project for 3 months on my own amp. But Scott's amps made to the Queue first. This setup really sounds great and is defenitly a step up from the Curcio Board I had been using and I haven't even tweaked it yet! I'm pretty excited about this and will be designing a Stereo amp losely based of this setup. I think anyone that buy's a Cayin or Jolida for $800 to $1K is really cutting themself short this amp will blow them away in all respects for even or less money depending on what they pay for the ST70. What do you all think of the modification to the front panel ?

I should of taken some before pictures this amp was a real rats nest. Power supply now has 458uF compared to the original anemic 90uF !!

ST70MOD1.jpg

Uses 3 - 12AT7's but also can be used with 12AU7 or 12AX7 for a different flavor! Full bias control and AC Balance

built into the Front End board.

ST70MOD2.jpg

ST70MOD3.jpg

Spread out the RCA jacks for more interconnect room and gold RCA input Jack. Got rid of the ugly tube

sockets and Mono/Stereo switch and mounted Bias Test points and a ground jack in there place.

ST70MOD4.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are many mod kits for the ST-70. However, Craig has probably tried them listened to them and evaluated them.

He has also probably tried them with Klipsch.

Now he has a kit that takes a number of factors into account that others may not have.

If someone owns Klipsch and has an ST-70 that they are considering modifying, this would be the way to go.

dodger

Very cool work Craig. You've really got the touch for this stuff.

You mentioned Jolida but how do they stack up to the Scott 299's and say your VRD or are these animals of a different sort?

----------------

On 10/28/2004 4:26:34 PM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 10/28/2004 4:16:30 PM Guy Landau wrote:

Nice board.

Can it accept 6CG7s?----------------

Nope why are you so stuck on that tube ?

Craig

----------------

----------------

On 10/28/2004 4:28:51 PM mike stehr wrote:

6SN7 in a mini-bottle

----------------

Exactly. And it's one of the best phase splitters around.

Greetings,

For whatever this may (or may not) be worth...

A tech who's worked on my guitar amps for years said that a 12AU7 really shouldn't be used as a substitute for the twin triode 12AX7/12AT7/12AY7/5751 tubes. He said that the 12AU7 draws current/voltage differently (I forget which) and this can cause problems.

This was borne out in an old amp I had that kept blowing the Sovtek 12AX7 that had been put the V1 position. When my tech examined the circuit he determined from the current/voltage being drawn that the V1 position should have been a 12AU7 tube. Putting a 12AU7 in the socket solved the problem and the amp was stable.

Hope this is helpful...

Take care,

Scott

Craig:

If you have a second, shoot me a quick PM. I would be curious to know what your rebuild runs on the Stereo 70. In a month or so, I am going to be running one with one of my two-channel systems, and I anticipate sending it to you down the road for a good reworking.

Thanks.

Carl.

Craig,

Did you try replacing the Xicon electrolytics in the front-end with something better?

How about the metal film resistors?

Perhaps there is no improvement to be gained here, and is why you left those intact? Room on the board itself probably poses a problem when using other types.

Just curious, particularly after seeing the higher grade "sonicaps" installed in your unit.

Board is very nice, as are the PS mods.

Ryan