What CD/Album are you Beating to Death Right Now

thebes

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/6/2004 6:58:50 PM garymd wrote:

Smilin,

Just picked up a mint copy of Bridge Of Sighs. Hadn't heard that LP in at least 20 years! Brought back some memories.
1.gif

----------------

Trower rocks, i got my MFSL copy a couple weeks ago, it's been in my car. Love it3.gif Just received my mini lp box set of 8 Black Sabbath and opened it yesterday. I put on Paranoid, and the memories flushed. I than put on Deep Purple SACD Machine Head, and closed my eyes...next thing I know I's dancing around, playing air guitar.

Tonight sucked, I went to best buy to get a laptop computer so I can be in my lower level,on the puter, listening to music/HT, and the thing was busted out of the box15.gif would not even boot up14.gif oh well, tomorrow is anotherday12.gif

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm into any and all indie rock. Not the lo-fi stuff though.

Spoon, Death Cab, Bright Eyes, Shins, Strokes, Hives, Dresden Dolls, Mercury Rev, Vines, White Stripes, Sonic Youth, Rooney, Radiohead, Franz Ferdinand.. Just to name a few off the of my head.

And I always dig out the Classical DVD-A every now and then when I want to do some critical listening.

Why do I think my list wont fit with the other music listed here??

Ah well, for what it is worth:

Bizet

Carmen

Ernest Blanc / Janine Micheau

Radiodiffusion France

Sir Thomas Beecham

EMI ASD 3098 - 3100

Bizet

L'Arlesienne

Symphony

Monte Carlo Opera

Igor Markevitch Festival

FC 410

And always:

Beethoven

Violin Concerto in D

Heifetz

Boston Symphony

Charles Munch

RCA Victor Red Seal

LM 1992

Beethoven

Symphony 3

NBC Symphony

Arturo Toscanini

RCA Victor Red Seal

LM 1042

Beethoven

Piano Concerto 5

Rubinstein

Boston Symphony

Erich Leinsdorf

RCA Victor Red Seal

LSC-2733

Dvorak

Cello Concerto

Pierre Fournier

Vienna Philharmonic

Rafael Kubelik

London

KIJC(M) 9215

Elgar

Cello Concerto

Robert Cohen

London Philharmonic

Norman Del Mar

EMI

CFP 40342

Elgar

Violin Concerto

Nigel Kennedy

London Philharmonic

Vernon Handley

EMI

41 2058 1

Grieg

Pier Gynt

Adele Stolte

Leipzig

Vaclav Neumann

Philips

6570 017

Liszt

Hungarian Rhapsodies

Bavarian Radio Symphony

Leopold Ludwig

EMI

063-28038

Mendelssohn/Schubert

Symphony 4 (italian), Symphony 8 (unfinished)

Vienna Philharmonic

Karl Munchinger

Decca

VIV 33

Oh that will do for now - chuck in a dozen opera's, a few piano concertos and a couple more violin concertos and you are just about there.

In other words the stuff only Wolfram, Larry and I would listen to....

As for more modern stuff....does Stravinski count? Most people know of the Firebird suite - rather less of Petrouchka - which is utterly wonderful (just dont mention the fact it is a ballet to your beer drinking chums).

----------------

On 11/6/2004 3:24:57 PM garymd wrote:

About 10 different Lee Morgan lps including:

Cornbread

The Rumproller

The Sidewinder

The Gigilo

Search For A New Land

Tomcat

Candy

And others

I just can't seem to shake him.
4.gif

----------------

Lee Morgan gets dissed all the time from a lot of critics because he wasn't an innovator. What a load! (Same rap Hank Mobely gets as well). Morgan was amazing and that he packed SO MANY great recordings into such a short life is testament to his greatness.

I just heard "Moanin'" on the car radio (so lucky to live in LA where KKJZ plays REAL music 24/7) today and the first few bars of his solo absolutely DEFINE hard bop trumpet.

I don't think you'll EVER get "enough" Lee Morgan.

I know I haven't and I've been avidly listening for about 30 years.

Nice to see a couple "headbangers" in the crew. I don't feel so alone now. 1.gif

In the CD changer...

Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age. Great album, if you like yours loud and heavy. Dave Grohl's drumming is masterfully merciless. CD mastering is punishing, though - definitely not something I'd recommend exerting more than 50% of your available amplifier power on - it'll clip in a hurry.

Images and Words - Dream Theater. I can't stop listening to this one. "Learning to Live" is just such a gorgeous piece of music - one of the great progressive albums of all time, AFAIC.

OK Computer - Radiohead. I was of the opinion that The Bends was their masterwork - until I heard this one. A challenging listen, particularly if you're into really "pretty" vocal work. Thom Yorke's voice is not immediately pleasing to the ear, but he sings with a passion, a conviction that can bring you to the edge of tears.

On the turntable...

Shine on Brightly - Procol Harum. Music to cut your wrists to. Sometimes it's pleasurable to be immersed in doom and gloom for an hour, and Gary Brooker is the perfect tour guide for such a trip.

Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull. No explanation necessary.

Fragile - Yes. Definitely need a new copy of this one, I've worn mine completely out, and it's getting harder to listen to it as a result.

Grant Lee Phillips - Mobilize

This is a pop masterpiece. Every song is like a movie-short. Great song-writher and excellent sonics.

Juliana Hatfiled - In Exile Deo

What can I say, I love Juliana. This is a great record, althogh my favorite is still Only Everything. Her guitar work is phenomenal on that record. Totally kicks ***.

Art Blakey - Moanin'

It swings, it rocks! What a classic.

----------------

On 11/8/2004 11:53:04 AM Griffinator wrote:

OK Computer
- Radiohead. I was of the opinion that
The Bends
was their masterwork - until I heard this one. A challenging listen, particularly if you're into really "pretty" vocal work. Thom Yorke's voice is not immediately pleasing to the ear, but he sings with a passion, a conviction that can bring you to the edge of tears.

----------------

Ooh, that's a tough one. I don't know which I like better, The Bends or OK Computer. I think Hail To The Thief would come a relatively close second to these two.

PS - have you really cried when listening to Radiohead?

6.gif

----------------

On 11/8/2004 2:34:33 PM nicholtl wrote:

Ooh, that's a tough one. I don't know which I like better, The Bends or OK Computer. I think Hail To The Thief would come a relatively close second to these two.

PS - have you really cried when listening to Radiohead?

6.gif

----------------

I still get choked up a little during the last verse of "Fake Plastic Trees"...

----------------

On 11/10/2004 4:22:40 AM jheis wrote:

MaxG:

Your selections fit in just fine. Not everyone is a head banger. My taste runs to jazz & blues, but I appreciate anything that's well done - which, IMHO, does NOT include rap in any way, shape, or form.

James

----------------

Thats too bad you should check out Beastie Boys - Check your head there are at least 3 tracks on their that everyone I have played for enjoys. Their latest cd to the five bouroughs is really good as well.

Holst The Planets

Rush All The Worlds A Stage

Frank Zappa Over-Nite Sensation

Boston Pops/John Williams Out Of This World

And of course....

Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon

Thanks for this thread, based on the previous recommendations, I have a good reason to stop and pick up a few titles I wouldn't have ever heard.