TWINS PICS !!!!!!!

thebes

TwinPic.jpg

Yup there's two of them. Crossovers for my KG 5.2's just rebuilt by DeanG. They left looking like little lilliputins and came back looking like SuperMan on steroids. I'm given to understand the generous use of hotmelt glue you see is for mini-vibration isolation.

Not I'm not very technical but I'm given to understand that the little round cylinders you see are filled to the brim with thousands of little people with various instruments and singing voices. When the speakers receive a signal from the amp, the various little people inside somehow play the exact same instruments, vocals etc. thus amplifying and deepening the sound.

I could be wrong about the above, but I have contacted my good friend, "Thebes the HI-Fi Detective, and once they are installed a review will be forthcoming in the second installment of Klipsch Noir, so stay tuned.

post-14801-13819259321942_thumb.jpg

I know it's hard to believe, but I haven't seen anything outside of Reference where all the parts are still stuck to the boards with the adhesive. On Thebe's boards for example, ALL the caps were being held by the leads only. The LF inductors had come loose too, and if they hadn't of been strapped -- they would have been dangling off the boards. I'm sure everything was rattling nicely. So yeah, I load up on the glue -- not just on the bottom where the parts touch the board, but also anywhere parts are touching each other. I figure the mass loading and extra damping probably isn't a bad idea, and I sure never have to worry about the networks falling apart. You think I over do it -- I've done some vintage JBL networks where the whole network is buried in adhesive.

----------------

On 11/12/2004 10:57:37 PM JMON wrote:

----------------

On 11/12/2004 6:10:58 PM paulparrot wrote:

Thanks for explaining that it's glue. It looks kinda like something else.

----------------

If that were the case, can you imagine what they would've sounded like??? I would've bought some myself.

----------------

I was thinking the caps might have been made by Siemens...

• 2 weeks later...

some manufactures call it "potting" as in the component is "fully potted"

i race cars and use a potted ignition box from jacobs electronics

there is a more popular brand that lots of guys use( more rpm potential, but i digress) they are not potted and have a much higher failure rate, some guys even keep a spare in the tool box!! the jacobs that i have is 8 years old and the users of the other brand cant beleive it

jay

I actually started piling on the hot melt after I did a couple of vintage JBL networks -- where almost the entire network was immersed in adhesive. It was just plain awful trying to get to the bottom of it all. I finally figured out that being inside that box must just be a terrible place to be. :)

I think Marty is best qualified to describe the process of getting those networks out. If I remember correctly, he did have to dig back to find it and remove. Generally speaking, the process isn't difficult.

It really very easy to pull the crossovers. Remove the middle horn (four screws), disconnect the leads from the horn (you can mark the postiive terminal (red wire) with tape to remember which one it is but they also have factory markings (+,-), do the same with the tweeter and reach down and do the same with the wires to the terminals (you can also remove the back plate for the terminal (six screws) if your nervous about having the your arm hit the passive woofer (the big one with no wires on it). Then remove four screws from the crossover which is mounted on the back of the box-you may have to pull a bit because they are resting on four tiny sticky pads. You're done.

Oh, you may also find one or two sheets of acoustic foam you can pull that out too to get it out of the way. Dean recommends only one sheet per box, or you can play with this when you get them back to see if it makes any difference to your ears. These are sealed, not vented speakers so the foam will affect (or dampen) the sound.

I would then put the woofer back in the box, so nothing gets busted laying around while you're waiting for the croossovers to come back