Oldest Cornwall Just Appeared on Ebay

Gilbert

Naw, there no need to slap relatives. Beside's, CB's bid is a simple low-bid just to locate the item on his "My Ebay" screen. He's to savy to place a dork bid.

The bidder's I'd like bytchslap 11.gif are the ones that keep repeatedly pecking at everyone else's bid, so they can apparently be in the theoretical lead.

Ya'know, now that I keep visiting that lonely Cornwall, maybe I could use it as a single rear. Hmmmm,... yep!... that's it, I'm convinced, I could use it.

See ya at the Frontline, keep your head down.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

250+ feedbacks and people are telling me how to bid? Ease up! Gilbert knows exactly what I am doing. The port is in the rear folks, and I have never seen a Cornwall with a 12" woofer. Very unique. Khorn58's cabinet looks like the one that Gilbert posted. I am thinking that perhaps Khorn58's Cornwall is older than he thinks perhaps his is a '59 and this is a '60. What worries me is he said that they were refinished and I hope that did not include the front motorboard. The Klipsch badge was usually placed lower near the bottom edge, the M2 finish may be an unfinished mahogany because the M7 is the finished version.

I got my eye on this one.

That's interesting, I haven't seen that before. I didn't know they had different kinds of Mahogany finishes. Mine are the dark lacquer. They're so dark you can't really tell what they're made of. The finish is checking and peeling, I noticed that if I get a relatively big piece of it off it's almost opaque. I figured they added some stain or something. Underneath that is a gorgeous Honduran mahogany, brown and gold, highly figured and with an almost "lit from within" look. They're going back with no stain and clear gloss. The matching Belle I'm building is the same way.

I'll bet Larry Clare's are the lighter finish. I wonder which version Triceratops are? Hey, you out there? What's the model designation on yours?

mine are KBM7, Model B, finish M7. Any others from that era around 1960 or so?

Thanks for posting that about the different finishes, solves a lot of questions I've had about the finish.

Hey Tom!

My 1960 Khorns are oiled walnut, so I don't have a Mahogany cabinet to share info on. Like many of the older walnut cabinets it has faded over the years into a teak-like color. I really like the color--it looks like it would be similar to the color of this Cornwall but the grain would obviously be much different. Tom's 1960 pair of Khorns (once refinished) would probably be a perfect match.

Attached is a poor photo of one of my 1960 walnut Khorns.

Best,

triceratops

post-8531-13819259481508_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys for chiming in. This whole deal around the finish has made it difficult to decide how to refinish the Khorns. They're very original, they deserve a quality restoration rather than a quickie refinish. However, once I stripped a top side panel and refinished it with thinned oil base wipe-on gloss poly and saw the gorgeous wood I knew there was no way I was going back to that nearly opaque dark look. Problem is, most of the plywood edges visible were painted a very dark brown rather than finished with veneer and lacquer. Even the ones with veneer were painted with that dark brown. This is lumber core plywood, doesn't have the typical look of 7-ply. Now, against that dark finish the exceedingly dark brown looked great. However, against the much lighter real mahogany it's going to stand out like a sore thumb, like stripes. So dump it and finish the edges, right? Problem is that most of the edges are not veneered and I'll have to veneer them which is no big deal for me at this point. However, getting a decent color match is a problem. And, this is no longer a real restoration but a different finish. Wrestling around with all these options has been a real pain.

I think I've got it now, basically what I'll do is refinish them as M2 Natural Mahogany lacquer instead of M7 Dark Mahogany lacquer. I feel much better about the whole deal. I'm still in a restoration mode, just a different factory finish. I can deal with the veneer matching, it's just a PITA.

Thanks to all of you for helping me figure out what the heck I'm doing.

Thanks Tom, PSG, Paul Parrot, and Khorn58,

I had the color Cornwall photos on my hard drive, they are from Khorn58 I believe. You can see the similarities and differences to the Ebay speaker. I've sent Tom another shot that shows the interior. I'll also scan the 1960 Cornwall spec sheet and post it if I can manage that (since I'm digitally challenged).

Best in horns,

triceratops

OK. Here is the companion pricelist to the spec sheet for Cornwall models from July, 1960. Cool, huh? Anyone who can make it pop up?

I'm assuming the "15" in the model number of the Ebay speaker designates a 15-inch woofer, but as some have observed this looks similar to Model H guts in a Cornwall cabinet...

Best in horns,

triceratops

post-8531-13819259494206_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 11/21/2004 5:37:30 AM Bill H. wrote:

I just wanted to wish one of our own - Frzninvt- the best of luck with this Auction!.

----------------

Ditto here.

Charles, by the way, I saw your feedback and bid count. Hell, you're a veteran Ebay'er and I'm a "grasshopper" with only 70-some count. I was just busting you a little bit. No harm intented 4.gif