Oldest Cornwall Just Appeared on Ebay

Gilbert

Charles, please don't be upset with me, all i was trying to do was to bring awareness to members not to run up the price against each other. if anyone followed the auction of the pristine 71 Heresys or Model H's last week, ebay user STEVEFTH (2) bid 20 times the first 2 days of a 10 day auction and ran the price up to over 600 dollars and then retracted all of his bids and said he put in the wrong bid amount. good luck i hope you win. also i came across a single Model H with these componets inside. K-77 - K-1000 with K-55V - K-22 and crossover Type 4 R . could be the same componets inside this single Cornwall. back label is faded and no stampings in the wood . anyone know what year this would be.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"QUOTE"

ebay user STEVEFTH (2) bid 20 times the first 2 days of a 10 day auction and ran the price up to over 600 dollars and then retracted all of his bids and said he put in the wrong bid amount.

Bytch slap "STEVEFTH", and Bytch slap again.

Okay now, everyone take a deep breath and count to 10.

Thank you triceratops for posting the spec's and price list. That was very nice of you. I will make copies for my files. By the way, I notice the finish code "M2". So I'm guessing that single is/was a Natural Mahogany in Satin Laquer.

Thank you again for the info, I very much appreciate it.

On Cornwalls selling for more than when new, please note that these 1960 Klipsch prices are for single speakers, not stereo pairs. There were still a lot of HiFi mono buffs out there in 1960.

Also bear in mind that nearly $400 was a big chunk to pay for a single speaker in 1960, when you could buy a new car for under $2000 and a really nice house in many areas for under $10,000. If you adjust for inflation, Heritage pieces are selling for a fraction of what they cost new. Even so, many other brands of speakers from the same era are just dumpster food now, so the Klipsch stuff has really held its' value well.

Klipsch speakers were always a serious investment, and so they were often well cared for. That's why so many of our beloved Heritage pieces are in such good shape today despite being 20, 30, or 40 years old or more!

Best in horns,

triceratops

The pics Tom Posted are my 60 cornwall and it is dated 1960 on the back. I am planning on bidding at the last momment on this to pair with my 60.

The only bummer is it was refinshed.

Is someone here also bidding?

I hope not to get in a bidding war with a fellow member.

I have been looking fore a mate for 3 years to my 60.

I am still waiting for more pics and some qustion i sent to the seller.

I got the skinny from the seller on the lone cornwall.

The internals are original. There was never a matching set, as the owner only purchased the 1 speaker. And the big bummer, when the speaker was "Professionally" refinished, the veneer was stained. The graining doesn't look bad at all, and the refinishing job does look the part, but it was stained. Hell, I'm still gonna bid on it anyway.

I love the Cornwall's, they are by far my favorite Heritage.

Good Luck to all KLIPSCH Forum Members bidding on this this baby.4.gif

"Is someone here also bidding?

I hope not to get in a bidding war with a fellow member."

-------------------------------------------------------

I put a low early bid in to mark it on My Ebay for a later real bid. I contacted the seller. He said I could pick it up in person if I win the auction; no shipping costs, and no damage potential (except to me from my wife if I come home dragging in another Cornwall!)

----------------

On 11/21/2004 1:02:02 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

I think I've got it now, basically what I'll do is refinish them as M2 Natural Mahogany lacquer instead of M7 Dark Mahogany lacquer. I feel much better about the whole deal. I'm still in a restoration mode, just a different factory finish. I can deal with the veneer matching, it's just a PITA.

Thanks to all of you for helping me figure out what the heck I'm doing.

----------------

Tom, FYI, these are close-ups of the grain where the top, insert and bottom meet, and the the bottom strip, of my mahogany lacquer K's.

Closeup top grain.jpg

Bottom grain 07181.jpg

Note that the grain runs horizontally in the narrow upper and the bottom strips.

Larry

Mike,

I saw those too - and he ships internationally!!! Oh the temptation!

I wonder how I could smuggle those past customs - if I could get them here for less than $1500 it would be a bargain at the prices we face here - but they could slap another .... well anything really on top (could easily be in excess of $2000).

It is a bugger being here sometimes.

Larry, thanks for posting those shots. One thing is for sure, your's are toally different from mine. Mine are really almost black. They are going to end up looking like yours when this is all over. On yours, what color is the paint on the backs and inside the top section? Mine is a very dark brown. Home Depot had to add black to the darkest brown they had to match it up.

Well, I guess I'm guilty of hijacking this thread.

That set of corns is pretty nice, even has the boxes they came in. Jeez.

What worries me the most is the 12" speaker hole, I realize the back says C-M2-15 but I have a feeling it may be one of the Ortho 12 systems. Funny to see the bidding skyrocket, and when you get the speaker you find out it only has a 12" coaxial driver in it! I am not going to drop my monster bid on that thing until I see what is inside it. Otherwise you are bidding with assumptions, could it be that it has a 15" woofer and only a 12" hole?

I requested a photo of the internals but have not heard back from the seller.

Get your pocketbooks ready boys, if I don't win it I am sure going to make it real expensive for someone! 2.gif

The Bytchslap award today goes to jpmoss and nomandinca. To jp for bidding high already, and especially to nomadinca for the dork pecking bids.

Ditto CB......the winner is going to pay through the nose for this speaker, and it could be me.

Is anyone on this forum looking at the seller's Decorator Cornwalls? Damn, I'd almost give my left n** for that beautiful pair! It definately sucks when you're on a fixed income, and I don't see myself winnin' the Lotto anytime soon.7.gif

But I will accept contributions to the G.J.D.D. Fund; "Give Jim the Damn Decorators" is a non-profit organization in the support of Jim's selfish wants and needs to obtain better looking Decorators than the ones he already owns!

Will you please give? Thank you...12.gif

Hey Jim:

They're not being overlooked. I do not have a pair of Decorator's, but if I did....those would be the one's to get. They are pristine. I'm currently torn between the Belle in Oregon, the decorator Corn's, and especially that single cornwall history piece. Those Oregon Belle's are awsome, and I'm waiting for the seller to get back with me on shipping cost. If you look closely at the Belle photo's, you can see the front wheel of a Red Ferrari 360 Modena ($180,000), and another picture shows the exhaust from what appears to be yet another Ferrari (or possibly a Lotus Turbo).

But I don't think the single with go anywhere near the price Max suggested, but it will go very high, and possibly set a new record cost for a single speaker. And it's not even original, but damn close to it. I still hate the fact that it was stained.

Anyway, good luck to all.

----------------

On 11/22/2004 12:49:13 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

Larry, thanks for posting those shots. One thing is for sure, your's are toally different from mine. Mine are really almost black. They are going to end up looking like yours when this is all over. On yours, what color is the paint on the backs and inside the top section? Mine is a very dark brown. Home Depot had to add black to the darkest brown they had to match it up.

----------------

Tom,

It's brown, but more like chocolate than very dark. The bass bins are painted the same color. Here's a shot to show the color and where it's painted; the insert was veneered all the way around for some reason --

Dscn0723.jpg

Larry