Oldest Cornwall Just Appeared on Ebay

Gilbert

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see a port through the grill cloth. Maybe it's ported through the back? It's a pretty unusual 2-piece back. The center strip seems "indented". Wow, very unusual. I have never seen one like this.

Just saw this post in the 2-channel. I actually just posted it in the HT section.

This appears to the be the real deal, and yes, probably the oldest Cornwall we've seen. I know Chas (FrozenVT) would know for sure. And yes, this would be a GREAT center if you already have Cornwalls. I have two pairs of old vertical Corns here at home and have been looking for that center, just like this one.

I'd need someone to help get this shipped, so SeaDog, if you want it, go get it. I don't think you'd regret it for $500 or less.

Chris

There was a detailed thread on one or a couple of similar CWs several months ago. Someone (Sheltie?) suggested that the design and rear slot (which was a baffled port in those pics) looked like an evolution from the Shorthorn. The midrange slot in the front looks like it's for a 1000-Hz midrange horn, used in the Shorthorn.

This looks like the Cornwall that Khorn58 has and has posted photos of before. I would love to have this one because the grille cloth matches the grilles on my 1960 Khorns so it would be a great center for them. It would look just like the archival photo of the three channel demo that PWK gave in around 1959 (I think it was the New York show after the Brussels show).

There are a couple of problems in my bidding on this. Most important I don't want to bid against seadog if he's going to go for it. Secondly the wood may be mahoghany rather than walnut--I think that is what the "M" stands for and my Khorns are walnut. There is at least one other Forum member with 1960 khorns, and his are Mahoghany if I remember correctly. Tom are you reading this? Lastly Khorn58 and some other Forum members may have an actual matching cabinet--wouldn't it be great to see a couple of 45-year old siblings reunited in a stereo pair for the first time? i wouldn't want to stand in the way of that!

Anyway, I will wait to hear everyone's thoughts on the above.

Best in horns,

triceratops

John Derven

Eugene, Oregon

OK, I jumped the gun a little bit. This isn't the oldest style nor the style that Khorn58 posted. The oldest style Cornwall has short horn cosmetics (trapezoid-shaped grill frame on the front and non-functional grills on the sides). Remember the intention was to make it look like it belonged between two Khorns since it was for center channel. I tried to upload the 1960 Cornwall photo I have but the file is too big. Can I email to someone to modify and post?

Anyway this Ebay Cornwall doesn't have those very early cosmetics but it does have the rear port and probably very similar inner workings to the photo I'm trying to post.

Best,

triceratops

Guest Anonymous

Man, that speaker LOOKS like it's in great shape, but, I remeber talking to Trey about the earlier cornwalls, rear ported, and he told me, sonically, they are just ok.

Yeah, I'm reading this. It looks like mahogany, but the color is really light for mahogany. I can see the ribbon stripe in the side shots. I don't see any ports on it, is that what the stripe up the middle of the back is? Looks like a small woofer and the K-1000 mid horn. Maybe not a sonic wonder but serial #229 it's definitely collectible. I see frzn is bidding on it. Good Luck.

Just looking at it, I'll bet it has all the same components as the 62 Model H I got from Triceratops.

----------------

Budman54 wrote:

its a 10 day auction people, quit bidding, your just running the price up. sorry Charles, i just had to say it

----------------

Welcome to my world Budman. Every time I see people do that, I just want to slap the crap out of them.

----------------

On 11/20/2004 5:56:32 PM Gilbert wrote:

----------------

Budman54 wrote:

its a 10 day auction people, quit bidding, your just running the price up. sorry Charles, i mean Frzninvt, i just had to say it

----------------

Welcome to my world Budman. Every time I see people do that, I just want to slap the crap out of them.

----------------

Gibert, would that be a relative slap