e-bay scam

yaffstone

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Procedures are that the report has to go to your own Police Force first. Eliminates jokes.

Contact your PD ASAP. Then you can re-contact the Police Here with a CR (CRIME REPORT) Number.

You can swear out any Warrants if it comes to that with Your Police Department.

dodger

Today, I was just offered a 2nd. chance offer on an MC240 that I bid on and lost yesterday ($3100). The email appeared suspicious, so I just (5min. ago) emailed the seller through the ebay item's page requesting a contact number.

Let's see what happens. I have the email address of the suspect/seller that contacted me, if this proves to be a scam...I'll be forwarding it to ebay, and FBI's internet fraud dept.

I was excited, now I'm bummed. Thought I had a pristine MC240.

I'll do that tomorrow morning. Bottle of wine was not bad. 1.gif I can't believe I just pressed that smiley! It's 0.37 in the morning and for now I want to thank you all for suffering with me, a friend in need is a friend indeed, even if I've never seen your faces and even if in the end it made no difference. Goodnight , Tim.

First of all, I feel for you. But honestly, the warning signs were definitely there.

As a seller on E-Bay (NOT KLIPSCH PRODUCTS!!!)...I can't tell you how many times people have tried to defraud me. I get "buy it now" hits from the f*cking Nigerians all the time. Here are some general rules of thumb when dealing with online transactions and mail order...

1) NEVER accept a cashier's check for payment...EVER EVER EVER. Not unless you know the person and where they and their family live. NEVER SELL TO ANYBODY IN NIGERIA WITH A CASHIER'S CHECK! IT *WILL* BE PHONY! Forget Malasia, and most other African countries too. You are actually better off taking a personal check and waiting for clearance. Make sure you verify the funds and ALWAYS INSIST THAT THE SHIPMENT AND PAYMENT GO TO THE SAME AREA!

2) Never send a wire transfer to an individual...NEVER EVER! Particularly overseas...you are hosed once that thing is sent. Not unless you not only know that person but you are related to them and know where they live, work and the location of at least two close relatives and their dog. If you are sending it to a business, get references.

3) Avoid anybody who wants to use Western Union like the Plague. It is the same thing as a wire transfer and the thieving scum will cash it immediately. If you are a regular person, you WILL have a bank and can accept a bank wire transfer so there is absolutely NO reason for a normal person to send or recieve money thru Western Union. If you do get taken, make sure WU provides you proof of Identity as to the person who picked up the funds and see if the cashing bank can do the same. If they can't you may have recourse to get the funds back.

4) Credit cards are always best. Also not that most credit cards do NOT extend protection thru to third party payment processors...such as Paypal.

5) Fugedabout the FBI or police. Guys, they have much bigger fish to fry. Unless your thief is in the U.S. and you can track him/her down...you will never see your money again. If you DO track them down and the police do catch them...you will never see your money again. I got taken a few years ago by a thief running a scam online. He got caught, he is in federal prison. That was 4 years ago. I'll never see a dime of the $800. I paid thru Paypal...they were no help at all.

6) This is a good reason to deal with an established business with a merchant account.

My son was almost a victim of this same scam earlier this year when he won a Paint Ball Gun on Ebay that he had bid on. Thankfully, a couple of weeks earlier news of this scam was reported in the local newspaper and I had been alerted. So we walked from the deal and no rip off happened.

I am sorry Timmikid. Best of luck in solving this.8.gif

Listen,

I had the same thing hapen to me one time on an auction. Like a dummy, I used western union. The theif actually emailed me and asked for more money for the item.

I freaked out. I was also told to go to the local police. I didn't do this. i did however, get a copy of the western union transavtion where the thief picked up the money. That person has to present ID and fill out paperwork to do this.

I sent this info to the auction company and there was an investigation. not sure if the guy was caught. This is important for the police to get involved somehow so that the info/id used by the thief can get in to the police records. This would help to bust the guy next time or they could catch him off that info alone.

I feel you pain. man i wanted to kill.

jc

Timmikid

Sorry to see you get hosed ! I had a third party contact me when I lost a bid on a pair of Klipschorns. The ones I bid on went for U$2000 and he said he had a pair available for $1800.00 crated and delivered to an air freight terminal.I would be responsible for costs from the air terminal to my address. He wanted payment via Western Union.

I replied expressing interest but wanted photos. I never heard back and a few days later sent a follow up email which bounced as undeliverable.

TimmiKid:

PM or Email me your contact information, as well as any information you may still have regarding the conartist. I will pass it on to the FBI, along with my information if it is infact fake. Which I believe it is.

Good luck, and cheer up. At least your all the more wise for it, and remember, it could have been worse. Besides, you just educated alot of people on this forum about Ebay scams.

Gilbert my condolensces. I just read this thread.

Quite a lesson. For all, simply saying that we should deal with an authorized dealer would be a great answer. However, all on this forum a greatly tempted by the older, unavailable products made by Klipsch. Can't run down to our local Ultimate Electronics and pick up a new Academy! The older equipment excites us all, so the likelihood that someday we'll purchase somethin on ebay is pretty good.

Anybody have any experience getting scammed on ebay when you went thru paypal?