e-bay scam

yaffstone

----------------

On 12/8/2004 1:29:46 PM mdeneen wrote:

Try getting a Ebay or PayPal "person" on the phone.

----------------

You're luckier when you can't! When you do get an actual person, he or she will be India, and be operating under instructions to

1) Never admit liability on their part

2) Never give out any information

3) Never give you any money

4) Never give any firm timeline

5) Stall, frustrate, and try to get you to give up

And don't you love it when help with your computer problems is online? If you could get online, you wouldn't have a problem.

And how are you supposed to phone your phone company when your phone isn't working?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/8/2004 10:00:43 AM scott0527 wrote:

People need to be somewhat responsible for their own actions.

---------------------------

Scott:

I agree with you, all individuals should be held accountable for their actions. Unfortunately, that is not the way the legal world works. It's the guy with the deep pockets that held accountable. Take for example, Tabacco Company's, Gun Manufacturers, Liquor Producers, etc. etc. etc. that are being sued and/or forced to shut down due to BILLION$ of $$ in law suits. All because of the actions of the few that abuse or misuse their products.

Yea, you would think that drinking Ms. Joe Pregnant Mom would know that drinking a 1/5th of whiskey a day would be unhealthy for her unborn child. But guess what happend to big time liquor company "Jim Bean"...... Guess what happen to big time gun manufacturer "COLT".......Guess what happen to "Philip Morris".... Eventually, the lawyers will jump on ebay too. It's just a matter of time.

Something needs to be done, but what??

muh mudder drank scotch de holle time she be pregenant wit me und i um finee

i had some trouble with a cdp i bought off of audiogon from canada but the audiogon staff was very helpful with the resolution although i will not by from outside the us again.

----------------

On 12/8/2004 1:29:46 PM mdeneen wrote:

"For a technology/business plan that's only been prevalent for 6 or 7 years they do pretty well. They are providing a fantastic service to millions of happy buyers and sellers."

=============

This is true excccept for one glaring change with the introduction of "mass produced services" which Ebay, PayPal, and AOL represent.

It's true that millions are happy. But if your satisfaction rate is 90%, let's say, then it's also true that a million or two or three are also very UNHAPPY. And, that's the new twist - how do you handle a million unhappy people? You don't. Try getting a Ebay or PayPal "person" on the phone. If you can be satisfied by the generic automated solutions, you're fine, otherwise you're just twisting in the wind. (i.e. ever notice that NONE of the voice tree choices are specific to why YOU are calling?)

If you go back to say, AT&T in the '70s - when surely they were serving the same millions of customers with phone service, the difference is glaring. You could ALWAYS get a real person on the phone (in a minute or less) to address your complaint, issue, or dissatisfaction and get some sort of actual resolution. Now, that had a cost, for sure, but you weren't generally left adrift.

All those service "costs" in today's mass-service industrys like ISP, banking, auctions, have been totally stripped out. They love reporting "95% customer satisfaction" but when the numbers are so high, that leaves millions of valid complaints unaddressed.

This is not to say junk these offerings, but I think there is a lot of progress to be made in consumer affairs.

mdeneen
----------------

Well, in the 70's AT&T had had about 60 years under their belt to perfect their service. And again, I'm not saying Ebay can't improve, of course they've got things that they need to do better. I was saying I disagreed with others who said "serious action needs to be taken against Ebay". Far as I can tell, Gilbert LOVES Ebay so I'm not sure why he said that. He's always got his eye on something1.gif .

e-bay user bliza60 has just repeated the same second chance scam. Don't buy anything from him. Here's the scam:

Dear yaffstone,

You expressed interest in an item titled "KLIPSCH KLIPSCHORN Pair Fully Horn Loaded 3-Way SUPER!" (Item # 5732876545) by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder. In compliance with eBay policy, the seller is making this Second Chance Offer to you at the price of your last bid. The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has duplicate items for sale. If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection. To purchase this item, don't reply to this mail, just contact the seller at gramadit@aol.com To see this item, click on the following page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5732876545&rd=1.To learn more about Second Chance Offer go to: http://pages.ebay.com Mid Georgia (eBay Member)

Just a thought, if you get a second chance offer, how about going to the original auction, contacting the seller and telling them that you are interested. If the auction is in fact a real auction, contacting the REAL seller would let you know if the second chance is real or not.

Any time I get an email that sends me to a specific address, I ignore the address they provide and contact the company by the address that I KNOW is correct. If it is a scam, the real business won't know anything about the "problem" or whatever, if it was a real message, there will be a way to take care of the "problem" on their site.

Scammers make things look real, sometimes you can't tell where you are without a close look at the address.

I once got a "security message" from E-Bay telling me that some overseas activity was on my account and they asked me to go to a page to take care of the problem. Well I went to their page and my user name was "nofu@@ingway" and password was "youbottomdwellingscumbag" and low and behold, I was signed in to "my" ebay account. The site looked real but you know it wasn't

Attached is an email from ebay regarding the scammers. I have turned in everyone of the scammers, and have been recieving identical emails for each. I didn't past the email in it's entirety, the rest of the verbage is your standard mombo jumbo. The thing that pisses me off is that they don't tell you what action (if any) they took. By the way, I recieved 2 more 2nd chance offers in addition to the previous 4.

Have not heard a response from the FBI's site though.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay.

As you may have already suspected, the message you received is fake and

is not from eBay's Second Chance Offer program. From the look of the

information you have sent, it seems like you are in communication with a

fraudulent person. I suggest you ignore this email and not go through

with the transaction.

In addition, I have reviewed your report along with the associated

account and have taken appropriate action in accordance with current

eBay policy. Due to privacy concerns, we do not discuss actions taken

against others accounts.

Phuck! I don't believe it. One the scammers that sent me a 2nd. Chance Offer just snagged a MC240 right out from under me. I used Auction Sniper, and placed 2nd highest bidder......Oh $hit, here we go again.

So much for ebay taking the appropriate action. What a bunch of BS. Where's a hungry Lawyer when you need one!

I'm starting to doubt any of those MC240 are actually for sale. They never used to sell for more that $1500 to $1800 bucks, now that Gilbert's scammer has come along, seems they're all selling for $2500 to $4000.

Gilbret, which one did you just lose? Hideharu0919 seems to have overpaid for a couple of them in the last few days.

Won't WU help set this clown up with you? Close the deal with the guy, tell him you'll send him the money and send some piddly amount. Tell WU about it ahead of time so they can stop him when he comes in to pick up his money?OF course I'm assuming someone actually has to come in and pick up money. I don't know how WU works as I've never used the service.

----------------

On 12/9/2004 8:27:57 PM scott0527 wrote:

I'm starting to doubt any of those MC240 are actually for sale. They never used to sell for more that $1500 to $1800 bucks, now that Gilbert's scammer has come along, seems they're all selling for $2500 to $4000.

Gilbret, which one did you just lose? Hideharu0919 seems to have overpaid for a couple of them in the last few days.

Won't WU help set this clown up with you? Close the deal with the guy, tell him you'll send him the money and send some piddly amount. Tell WU about it ahead of time so they can stop him when he comes in to pick up his money?OF course I'm assuming someone actually has to come in and pick up money. I don't know how WU works as I've never used the service.

----------------

THAT'S THE ONE. DAMNIT!

I emailed all the buyers that ebayer had transactions with. A few emailed back but didn't want to help. One helpful seller emailed back and said the ebayers address was not in nyc but in Va.

Tha makes sense. If I was going to run a scam I'd have the money sent to a PO box somehere or a friends in another state and have them forward the money to me.

Hopefully the ebayer will give me the Va address and maybe if someone can follow the trail it will lead to timmys money.

• Moderators

I. like everyone else on this forum, feel very bad about your plight. However, in my experience you are much better off buying only on Audiogon or this forum. Ebay tends, IMHO, to be a place where people are ready to make a score and have no appreciation for equipment. Whereas, people on this forum or Audiogon are those who appreciate equipment for its value, both monetary as well as the enjoyment of the next owner thus being much better sellers. I don't think I would buy any high-end item on Ebay unless a forum member could check it out localy. I have sold lp's on this forum and because I know that I would be an outcast if I did anything underhanded I made sure that what I said was very conseravative in terms of grade/condition. Likewise, I have bought some very expensive items from forum members and have been very satisfied. I believe this is because they know you cannot bullsthit anyone here, there is too much knowledge.

Bottom line, if you want justice, go to a whorehouse (or this forum), if you want to get ****ed buy on EBay.

Travis

----------------

On 12/12/2004 11:49:16 AM D0N wrote:

is anyone doing anything with the info I posted above? I'd like to see this bastard caught.

----------------

I live not far from there, but other than driving by....

There is a Pacific Boulevard near Dulles, the suspicious-looking zip code actually is for Dulles, VA, and for that specific address on Pacific Boulevard, according to the USPS website.

It gets more and more interesting: Someone by that name, Jyothi Aspani, is listed as a "contributor" to the Hyper Learning Center, at the following address not that far from Dulles:

Hyper Learning Center

Mail Stop 4A5

George Mason University

Fairfax, VA 22030-4444

The website and that contributors list is under "people" at http://cne.gmu.edu/. That doesn't mean it's not a pseudonym for the culprit, of course. I wonder if someone can do something with this?

Larry

The ebayer in question (niha13) used this email address japsani1@aol.com when corresponding with the sellers he/she purchased things from on ebay.... not the deepsleeps@aol.com address that is trying to scam everyone.

Aol allows 7 email address per account so it wouldn't be difficult for the person to use one email address for legitimate purchases and another email address for his/her scams.