Eric Clapton's "Crossroads Guitar Festival"

dkp

Wheelman,good ? on the amps,I'll have to look more closely.On a related note I bought my son a Pignose 40watt tube amp and that thing really has a great tone for $200 delivered to my door.It can run a 4/12 cab and still sound sweet for that price.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I borrowed this on Netflix because of this chain. Wow. Clapton has sleepwalked through so many concerts -- this is a shock! He plays beautifully throughout. The guests are consistently astonishing. A long list of big names and lesser known talents that are diverse musically--John McLaughlin, J.J. Cale, Vince Gill, ZZ Top all on the same stage. All great guitar music--

This will be the first concert video I see that I want to buy and have after I've seen it--

Well Mrs. dkp was good to me this year and I got it for Christmas! I haven't listened to the entire thing, just skipped around a little, but what I've seen and heard thus far is incredible! This is definitely a buy-and I haven't seen/heard the second disk yet!

Oh yeah-I noticed in one section that the surround mix in dts wasn't very accurate. On disk one, the track titled "6-string" something-or-other lol: when the guys are all lined up and the far left guitarist is playing the sound is coming primarily from the left main speaker. However, when the video is of just him playing the music is still coming from the same spot, even though he's directly in the center of the screen. This was a tad annoying, but overall still a phenomenal mix.

David

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 12/21/2004 10:55:54 PM Fish wrote:

Wheelman,good ? on the amps,I'll have to look more closely.On a related note I bought my son a Pignose 40watt tube amp and that thing really has a great tone for $200 delivered to my door.It can run a 4/12 cab and still sound sweet for that price.

----------------

Fish real good. I found out they are a new crate modified. The v 50 combo which is crates attempt at a higher end tube amp. Billy has his customed finished and put Tone Tubby alnico speakers in it. I seen Joe Walsh using the same amp and he had great tone. It was blowing my mind because they got digital effects in them. It blended well with the tubes. You can really hear it when Joes' playing. Those original pignoses were pretty cool. I would like to check one of them tube pignoses out. Check out little lani lei amps. They look like they would be a fantastic bedroom amp or studio amp. Dodger I can't seem to find it on cd. Bummer but it may get put to cd sooner or later. Dodger do you have a tape deck?

Since so many of you enjoyed this Video let me recomend Sessions for Robert J.

This is Eric Clapton paying homage to Robert Johnson and it features DD as well as DTS. There are 4 differant sessions and I must say this might be my favorite for overall sound quality. The live feel is unmatched.

Great disk for both audio and video.

I have the DVD and it was fantastic though only in 16 x 9 digital but very good quality. I played it in 5.1 and the sound was excellent. The drums on the John Mcglauglan? song were super. One of the best DVD's I ever have purchased. Only negative is some of the "Clunky" menu work and the extra guitar solo section was a bust because they do not start at the beginning of the songs. Looked to me like the menu work was done by a kid.

JJK

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just sitting here watching and listening to this again, turned up nicely and this is one SMOKIN DVD!

On the first disc, every set just seems to build up, and then flash on the pretty woman and it is just like being there.

Joe Walsh helps out James Taylor nicely and Vince Gill proves that country music can be musical.

The BB King section is just so much a tribute to the King. they all stay seated and let him shine through.

The session with JJ Cale is just so sweet.. just syrypy sweet.. mellow, rythmic, soulful, deep, light, you just got to love it.

Call me the breeze just rolls and rolls along, Clapton and Cale just playing off each other.

Robert Randolf is just sooooo talented, and upbeat! What a great performance he puts on!

The video is great here too and as is the sound! I've been listening to the DTS version, but am sure the DD 5.1 is fine too.

This is truly eye and ear candy for the soul.

A must own for any guitar lover, blues lover, music lover.

If you don't have this yet. Get it.

Hey, you're very welcome for that one.

That old JJ Cale stuff is primo.. and he played that album back then on a guitar with a hole in

the back of it. some of it was recorded in a old southern barn from what I read a number of years ago..

on a 4 track machine.

Great stuff.

Want some more good stuff? Reason I mention this one is I bought it the same day I bought that JJ Cale on

bacxk in '71.. and I'm still playing it! LOL!!

Try this one.

Before Bonnie got famous she put out some might fine stuff. Looks likes this one has been remastered too.

f60028e607k.jpg

----------------

On 2/8/2005 12:28:38 AM wyattearp wrote:

As in Robert Randolph & The Family Band? Smokin'! Check out "Unclassified" &/or "live at the wetlands." Great band!

----------------

that is the one....great show on Austin City limits...