What musician did you grow tired of quick?

Audio Flynn

JOHN... sheesh, gonna have to beg to differ with ya on your QUEEN comment. And don't know if your spelling was really deserving either. I could care less what the guy does in his spare time... doesn't at all affect me coming through my speakers. I still listen to Judas Priest & Rob Halford doesn't bother me.

I guess what it really comes down to is how much radio do you listen to or how many times you spin the CD, as to how tired of it you get. I happen to really like Freddy... OK, OK, I do agree the whole Waynes World/Bohemian Rhapsody thing got out of control... but other than that, hey now 2.gif

Dan Fogelberg, Firefall, Boston, The Police/Sting and Gerry Rafferty. I am sure at least a few more would come to mind. I will go have another shot of "Patron Silver" and get back to you 2.gif.

Thebes,

The Who? C'mon mi amigo, what are ya thinkin'? 1.gif.

----------------

On 12/10/2004 12:28:39 PM maxg wrote:

The Undertones!! That takes me back - I saw them live at the Manchester Apollo back in the day - I think - My perfect Cousin right!?

----------------

OMFG your kidding right? Who else did you see around that time? Next you'll be telling me you saw the specials or the slits. Who else did you see there then ? There is a local punk rock all girl band in little rock called "the chicklettes" and they do the best cover of teenage kick and true confesions.

I cant say I have ever grown tried of any. I either like right away or don't.

A good song always a good song. I may not like some of the newer stuff that some do but I never grow tried of the ones I liked/like.

I might be more inclined to go the other way with songs that slowly become favorit.

btw I use to not really like John Mayer until I saw him on the PBS Clapton blues speacial 2 night ago. He was in Hendrix land on that strat. I think he stole the show with his great gutiar tone I was shoked man can he play.

"Boston twice? Wow! I personally think Boston is one of the greatest bands of all time.. They had such a great sound."

I also liked them back in the day, I even seen them. But after almost 30 years of that first album being pumped over the air waves enough is enough....

And I gotta listen to the local "Classic Rock" station pump that sh*t everyday, ELO, Heart ("magic man" and that's it), it's always the same damn thing over and over, you can dial your watch to the programing. And the DJ's are beyond retarded. If I never hear a Boston song again, I wouldn't be more happy.

----------------

On 12/10/2004 10:45:41 PM mandi wrote:

how about Adam Ant and Boy George. My roommate in college loved both and the rule was whoever got back to the room first and turned on the stereo had control

----------------

Boy George bad but the first adam and the ants ep was good but i don't think i have ever seen a musician sell out so fast in my life and the music was stinkorama. They were a decent punk band for about one album. Not sure if you saw this in the news but adam ant went way crazy and was actually put into a rubber room hmmm wonder how my belles would sound in a rubber room?

----------------

On 12/10/2004 10:20:15 PM seti wrote:

----------------

On 12/10/2004 12:28:39 PM maxg wrote:

The Undertones!! That takes me back - I saw them live at the Manchester Apollo back in the day - I think - My perfect Cousin right!?

----------------

OMFG your kidding right? Who else did you see around that time? Next you'll be telling me you saw the specials or the slits. Who else did you see there then ? There is a local punk rock all girl band in little rock called "the chicklettes" and they do the best cover of teenage kick and true confesions.

----------------

Seti,

It is difficult to know which bands that were in or around Manchester you would know of - some I am sure - like the Boomtown rats, sex pistols and probably UltraVox, Depeche Mode? (actually saw them in Sheffield - dont matter much - they were terrible that night).

Actually I met Saint Bob Geldoff before his evolution from Rocker to saint - twice in London in one week (how weird was that?) First time he stopped me on the road to ask for directions and the second time was browsing Camden market and bumped straight into him - he is huge - I guess 6 foot 4 or something.

These are not in chronological order of course - all someting like 1976-84 or thereabouts.

Now - lets see, who else - we are going back to my rebelious teenage years when I thought punk rock was the cooledt thing. Now I remember I met Fergal Sharkey after that Undertones concert - You wouldnt mistake him for Bob - he is tiny!! I got his autograph on the concert ticket - and then lost the ticket - typical me!! IT may be here somewhere I havent seen it in years - actually my Pink Foyd ticket is here somewhere too.

Do the Buzzcocks mean anything to you? How about Madness? Sham 69 - they were American anyway I think?

I never saw the Specials - they were 2 tone and we punks didnt do 2 tone - and I hated fish tail parkers as well (the coats they wore - for the uninitiated).

More will come to me no doubt - a lot of what we did and saw is something of a blur - for reasons we dont need to go into now.

Oh Bad Manners played our College Ball. LEna Lovitch (spelling?) too - really cant rmemever who else - I was in the back row with a girl called Brenda....or Barbara - no Bridgitte - missed most of the acts.

Oh yes and a little group called Queen somewhere in the wilds of Staffordshire with what seemed like 100,000 others...

Crikey - Adam Ant - in the thread too - I had a mate who was CRAZY about Adam Ant - before he became famous of course - we are talking 1978-1980 here.

Ok that is it for now - you want to throw some names? IF they were punk C1976-80 and came to Manchester I probably saw them. OH - the Jam - excellent in Concert - got Paul Weir's autograph too - somewhere - place went insane to "Down in the tube station at mignight" - nearly broke my ankle - I was half carried home from that one.

And now I listen to Classical - odd aint it.

----------------

On 12/10/2004 10:05:21 PM m00n wrote:

Boston twice? Wow! I personally think Boston is one of the greatest bands of all time.. They had such a great sound.

----------------

Granted they did have a great sound, but they are another band who's songs all sounded basically the same. So they really had ONE great song. 9.gif

----------------

On 12/11/2004 8:04:18 AM SteelerFan wrote:

----------------

On 12/10/2004 10:05:21 PM m00n wrote:

Boston twice? Wow! I personally think Boston is one of the greatest bands of all time.. They had such a great sound.

----------------

Granted they did have a great sound, but they are another band who's songs all sounded basically the same. So they really had ONE great song.
9.gif

----------------

CMon now... Didn't you ever hear the song "Amanda"?9.gif

----------------

On 12/11/2004 10:38:32 AM m00n wrote:

CMon now... Didn't you ever hear the song "Amanda"?
9.gif

----------------

Yup. I saw them twice in concert back in the "70's". As I remember they played "Amanda" the second concert and said it would be on their next album, which it turns out took forever to come out. But the second album sounded pretty much the same as the first to me.

I'd still consider buying a best of Boston CD for the right price. Heck, I bought Creed's greatest for $9.99 even though all of their stuff sounds the same to me.1.gif

But...Just what the heck is The Who doing on this list? They ARE one of the greatest bands ever!

Seti,

It is difficult to know which bands that were in or around Manchester you would know of - some I am sure - like the Boomtown rats, sex pistols and probably UltraVox, Depeche Mode? (actually saw them in Sheffield - dont matter much - they were terrible that night).

Actually I met Saint Bob Geldoff before his evolution from Rocker to saint - twice in London in one week (how weird was that?) First time he stopped me on the road to ask for directions and the second time was browsing Camden market and bumped straight into him - he is huge - I guess 6 foot 4 or something.

These are not in chronological order of course - all someting like 1976-84 or thereabouts.

Now - lets see, who else - we are going back to my rebelious teenage years when I thought punk rock was the cooledt thing. Now I remember I met Fergal Sharkey after that Undertones concert - You wouldnt mistake him for Bob - he is tiny!! I got his autograph on the concert ticket - and then lost the ticket - typical me!! IT may be here somewhere I havent seen it in years - actually my Pink Foyd ticket is here somewhere too.

Do the Buzzcocks mean anything to you? How about Madness? Sham 69 - they were American anyway I think?

I never saw the Specials - they were 2 tone and we punks didnt do 2 tone - and I hated fish tail parkers as well (the coats they wore - for the uninitiated).

More will come to me no doubt - a lot of what we did and saw is something of a blur - for reasons we dont need to go into now.

Oh Bad Manners played our College Ball. LEna Lovitch (spelling?) too - really cant rmemever who else - I was in the back row with a girl called Brenda....or Barbara - no Bridgitte - missed most of the acts.

Oh yes and a little group called Queen somewhere in the wilds of Staffordshire with what seemed like 100,000 others...

Crikey - Adam Ant - in the thread too - I had a mate who was CRAZY about Adam Ant - before he became famous of course - we are talking 1978-1980 here.

Ok that is it for now - you want to throw some names? IF they were punk C1976-80 and came to Manchester I probably saw them. OH - the Jam - excellent in Concert - got Paul Weir's autograph too - somewhere - place went insane to "Down in the tube station at mignight" - nearly broke my ankle - I was half carried home from that one.

And now I listen to Classical - odd aint it.

----------------

I am a huge fan of the punk scene in the uk from 76-early eighties and know all the bands you mentioned. I have some buzzcocks vinyl and madness their first two albums One Step Beyond and Absolutely are bloody brilliant. One of my favorite tracks is Razor Blade Alley what a great song. Of course they were influenced by Prince Buster and he is also one of my faves early ska and dancehall from the Carribbean is great music even though its poorly recorded.

Lene Lovich and Nina Hagen now there are some weird German girls. I still spin Hagen's African Reggae lol and nunsexmonkrock. I wish I could have been there at that time I have family in Shropshire, Shrewsbury but never managed to break away to see local music BLAST.

There is alot of crap from that time period but then there were some punk rock bands that were brillant as well like the slits, the clash, the creatures, not punk but always like kate bush, cramps, residents, art of noise, Dexy's Midnight Runners did more than that one song. I never did get the whole joy division, new order & echo and the bunnymen scene.

I can find music in just about every genre to enjoy. Lately I have been listening to the clash, tom waits, talking heads, dead can dance, some mozart violin concertos, meat beat manifesto, toots and the maytels, eek a mouse, Juan Esquivel Space Age Bachelor Pad Music and Music From a Sparkling Planet, robert johnson and even some hank sr. The cds laying around my player makes it look like someone with multiple personality disorder has been playing tunes.

ALL the chick pop and rock singers. Gotta have cojones ladies! Celine Dion- yeeech, Mariah Carey slept her way to top, Brittnay and friends are just ****s on stage, Melissa Ethridge go back to your carpet.... (this does not include the 60's female folk icons)

Rock Pop bands.. America, Boston, Creed (3note vocal range), Journey, Styx, any 80's FM pop radio drivel.

I never got the Dave Matthews thing. Same with (sorry) Grateful Dead, Phish, and those LSD spin-off bands. If you've got to be that out of your mind to enjoy the concert, I don't want any part of it.

It's like, "what can we sell the little 14 year old girls and boys with no brains and disposable incomes"?

But DIANA KRALL, cmon, she's SMOKIN- heck I'll buy the CD's just for the damned covers!

Ugly little thread, ain't it?

Michael