Thinking Tube

gravy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The St-70 is factory rated at 35 watts per channel that is what the 70 in the model number stands for 35 + 35 = 70. ST70's in good cosemetic shape regularly go for about $300 in stock form on eBay so $600 to $700 total investment and you have a killer sounding power amp once updated. These amps done up right will mop the floor with everything coming out of China that I have had run across my bench. It's all in the transformers. You can have the greatest circuit on earth but in a push pull amp with feedback if the transformers suck the amp will be compromised no amount a tuning can completely fix that short coming. You can mask it but you will never truly fix it.

Craig

----------------

On 12/19/2004 12:24:10 AM jt1stcav wrote:

Please, by all means suggest your beautiful monoblock amps if it's a close consideration to what the asker is looking for...Hell, if I built 'em, I'd be proud of them too, and show them off every chance I got. Go ahead Craig, boast and brag about your amps; they're worthy, aren't they?
2.gif

----------------

I can assure you, they are GREAT amps!

I would definitely be interested in chatting with Craig. I was just browsing eBay...there appears to be several different flavors of mods you can perform (that's my assumption based on the photos I'm seeing). I'm not so sure I would just go and purchase one of these through eBay, unless I knew a trusted forum member did the work. Someone else could modify and ruin the sound right? Since it is not a new piece of equipment I'm at the mercy of the modifier, as I would have no idea what to do.

----------------

On 12/19/2004 9:33:31 PM gravy wrote:

I would definitely be interested in chatting with Craig. I was just browsing eBay...there appears to be several different flavors of mods you can perform (that's my assumption based on the photos I'm seeing). I'm not so sure I would just go and purchase one of these through eBay, unless I knew a trusted forum member did the work. Someone else could modify and ruin the sound right? Since it is not a new piece of equipment I'm at the mercy of the modifier, as I would have no idea what to do.
----------------

Just look for a stock ST70 on Ebay. No mods. Should be several of them at any one time. Like Craig said, a good condition stock ST70 should be around $300. Then ship it to Craig and let him modify it, you can trust him. There's a lot of hacks out there I'm sure. Anyway, there's enough people here at the Klipsch site that have used him and can verify that he'll do a great job.

gravy,

I bought a Scott 299A from Craig, after he had rebuilt my Dad's Bogen 230A. Months_ afterward, the Scott went nuts. Craig did a transformer replacement for no charge. Send him whatever you get, & you'll be much happier.

Craig,

I biased the Bogen & Scott today, & hope to tri-amp the Khorns this week. The JFL 2A3s will go in the middle.

SSH

I can attest to Craig's work! So far he has rebuilt the following amps for me.

1. Pair of dynaco Mark III amps, completely redone (my current amps)

2. Scott 299-C completely rebuilt. (Bro's main amp)

3. Scott 99-D mono amp with rebuild (center channel amp)

4. Scott 99-D mono amp with rebuild (Bro's center channel amp)

5. Scott 340B reciever. (sold)